Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Disney easing up on movie censorship?

I see people going ''Yeah'' for Disney on twitter, they have their first movie on Disney plus that features profanity, swearing, smoking, drugs, bullet shot wounds, butts and the list goes on, its no other than X-Men Days of Future Past.

It is coming as a shock to people that Disney just put this movie on Disney plus and shocker, it is not censored. its the first movie of that kind not to be censored on Disney plus, Hugh Jackman even joined in on the conversation.

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...-isnt-censored
    Disney+ Finally Has a Live-Action 'X-Men' Movie and Fans Are Surprised it Isn't Censored

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-days-of-fu...-hugh-jackman/
    X-Men: Days of Future Past Is Uncensored on Disney+, Says Hugh Jackman

Disney has in the past censored Splash, The Simpsons and Hamilton. They now seem to be making some little exception here or could this be an anomaly. They didn't want to censor this movie for particular reasons.

This is both good and bad news for folks who have subscribed to Disney plus. You may like a movie that will get censored and vice versa, that been said I think this is a good small step for Disney. I am not expecting them to become HBO. I do want them to stop overdoing the kid-friendly narrative as long as they keep buying all these studios and franchises.

Extraordinary Member

Call me when they show Logan with the girl flashing in the limo.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I see people going ''Yeah'' for Disney on twitter, they have their first movie on Disney plus that features profanity, swearing, smoking, drugs, bullet shot wounds, butts and the list goes on, its no other than X-Men Days of Future Past.

It is coming as a shock to people that Disney just put this movie on Disney plus and shocker, it is not censored. its the first movie of that kind not to be censored on Disney plus, Hugh Jackman even joined in on the conversation.

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...-isnt-censored
    Disney+ Finally Has a Live-Action 'X-Men' Movie and Fans Are Surprised it Isn't Censored

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-days-of-fu...-hugh-jackman/
    X-Men: Days of Future Past Is Uncensored on Disney+, Says Hugh Jackman

Disney has in the past censored Splash, The Simpsons and Hamilton. They now seem to be making some little exception here or could this be an anomaly. They didn't want to censor this movie for particular reasons.

This is both good and bad news for folks who have subscribed to Disney plus. You may like a movie that will get censored and vice versa, that been said I think this is a good small step for Disney. I am not expecting them to become HBO. I do want them to stop overdoing the kid-friendly narrative as long as they keep buying all these studios and franchises.
    It’s an anomaly. A good business decision. Disney does not want to stair up drama with fans. To presume Disney would allow the same things from their own movies is crap. I except X-Men to become as parental friendly like any other Disney movie. The Splash censorship was mental. Censoring her ass only drew more attention to it. The blurring was stupidly obvious around Daryl Hannah’s rear area.

Niffleheim

Maybe it is just movies under Disney interface which will be censored. I found it is pretty easy to ignore other contents from different brands when each is segregated on its own little corner. Maybe they have found out Disney fans only watch Pixar but they don't bother watching Marvel, Star Wars or National Geographic.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

This is why I insist on physical media when possible. More and more movies and TV episodes quietly disappear from streaming services, or get cuts and changes made, as they become "problematic" for one reason or another.

I'm too old for a babysitter.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    This is why I insist on physical media when possible. More and more movies and TV episodes quietly disappear from streaming services, or get cuts and changes made, as they become "problematic" for one reason or another.

Pretty much this. Censorship is what you offer as a kind of optional parental control, not something that you should apply across the board.

Physical media has more censorship.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Physical media has more censorship.
    Untrue. I've never bought a DVD set that had missing episodes because somebody somewhere might have been offended by something in it. And once I have the DVD, I have it forever. The corporation can't reach into my media collection and delete stuff like they can with a streaming service.

My DVD copy of Avengers Assemble has a spear sticking out of someone's chest edited out, but apparently that was some kind of production mistake because in the UK we have the 12 and 15 age ratings and then pretty much just let kids watch whatever they feel like anyway.

The all-time greats of censorship have to be the infamous swear overdubs for films like Die Hard and Robocop on TV showings ("Yippee ki ay, Mister Falcon!"). I think at some point they figured the only people staying up to watch Robocop just wanted to watch the damn film, and if any kids were up that late they almost deserved to hear some swears as a reward for their cunning.

Also, Fellowship Of The Rings kind of ruined the PG (Parental Guidance) rating band forever by allowing the film-makers as many graphic decapitations and dismemberments as they wanted as long as it was to actors in Orc make-up.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 07-13-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Its still being done unevenly. For instance, the f-word wasn't censored in DoFP but it was censored in Hamilton.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its still being done unevenly. For instance, the f-word wasn't censored in DoFP but it was censored in Hamilton.
    Compare the length. That factors into the ability to swear. FYI.

You have a 2.5 plus hour movie versus a barely 2 hour. Runtime factors into the "censoring" if you will.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 07-13-2020 at 04:07 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The most consistent thing you can expect from censorship is inconsistency in what they censor.

Until it becomes a common practice, I consider it to be an exception. Of course that means it's possible for more uncensored content, but given the track record on Disney+ right now I'd need more showings to convince me.

In addition to what was already mentioned, they apparently censored a small amount of cleavage on Wizards of Waverly Place. Then there was the whole fiasco over the Lizzie McGuire sequel because the writing was supposedly too adult. Love, Victor was also orginally supposed to appear on Disney+ before they got cold feet and moved it to Hulu.
    Untrue. I've never bought a DVD set that had missing episodes because somebody somewhere might have been offended by something in it. And once I have the DVD, I have it forever. The corporation can't reach into my media collection and delete stuff like they can with a streaming service.
    Yeah, pretty much. I recently read that Netflix removed the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons episode of Community, for example.

I saw the poster for the upcoming Disney+ series "Star Wars: The Bad Batch," misread that last word, and thought, "huh, Disney really has eased up on censorship."

And my second thought was, "Is Lizzo part of Star Wars canon now?"

BANNED

What I never understood about this is why censoring the naked backside of someone? Seeing nude people in a harmless way is not something that I think should be censored in this way. But I was able to watch Trading Places uncut in the afternoon on regular TV as a child being around 10 years old. So that may be the difference between my country and the USA.

And before the usual Disney bashing continues, Fox did not want to show jackman nude either. He had to call them out for the idiocy of him not being nude after having sex.