Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    What I never understood about this is why censoring the naked backside of someone? Seeing nude people in a harmless way is not something that I think should be censored in this way. But I was able to watch Trading Places uncut in the afternoon on regular TV as a child being around 10 years old. So that may be the difference between my country and the USA.

And before the usual Disney bashing continues, Fox did not want to show jackman nude either. He had to call them out for the idiocy of him not being nude after having sex.

Where is the evidence Fox did not want to show Jackman nude? I have seen many fox/paramount/wb movies that had nude scenes. secondly nobody is bashing disney, this is actually a compliment to them even if the intentions may not be clear. Also X-Men 1 already had a nude scene though not as pronounced as DOFP or deadpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its still being done unevenly. For instance, the f-word wasn't censored in DoFP but it was censored in Hamilton.
    I have not seen anything Hamilton related but if the F word can only be censored if it is used in a sex content, then it works here, the F world Xavier says, was more meant to be piss off. I don't even find this all that bad, why do people make a big deal about dropping the F Bomb, especially in American films? I find Xavier's addiction to the drug serum that made him walk more disturbing to watch. it carries more convincing adult themes to dropping the f word to mean sex or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    It’s an anomaly. A good business decision. Disney does not want to stair up drama with fans. To presume Disney would allow the same things from their own movies is crap. I except X-Men to become as parental friendly like any other Disney movie. .
    I can see things going this way. I think Disney chose not to censor it because they are quite on thin ice with this one. they have yet to officially announce Deadpool 3, something that is beginning to anger deadpool fans, censoring an xmen movie may just make fans more convinced that Disney is going to overdo their kid friendly xmen.
    The Splash censorship was mental. Censoring her ass only drew more attention to it. The blurring was stupidly obvious around Daryl Hannah’s rear area
    SPLASH Censorship. = L.M.A.O.

The clip was funny and poorly edited. she also seems to be running faster, got to cover up that ass.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-14-2020 at 05:10 AM.

Censorship is a problem when it attacks ideas, like if someone wants to make a movie telling that communism is the best thing ever he totally should be able to do so, that's freedom of speech.

Now, to have rules about limiting the use of some words in a media aimed at a very large audience ? Yes, it may sound restrictive, even a bit arbitrary, but i can see why those rules exist and in the end it's not going to change what a movie is trying to say.

Except if the said movie is about profanities lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Censorship is a problem when it attacks ideas, like if someone wants to make a movie telling that communism is the best thing ever he totally should be able to do so, that's freedom of speech.

Now, to have rules about limiting the use of some words in a media aimed at a very large audience ? Yes, it may sound restrictive, even a bit arbitrary, but i can see why those rules exist and in the end it's not going to change what a movie is trying to say.

Censorship heats up a political or social climate. For instance if it is about communism you can tell that in two ways, one side will call propaganda and try to censor. China is a good example, they censor most things us Americans take for granted, facebook for one. I find this censorship worth fighting against, as you said it deals with free speech or freedom of information versus the censorship that has more to do with...let's censor this and that for kids like Disney does 99% of the time although they seem to have no problem buying the movies or franchises. I didn't even know they owned Hamilton.

Censoring The Simpsons? can someone tell them The Simpsons is not Frozen and Homer and Bart are no role model to kids. lol. I am fairly sure the Simpsons say the S word (sex)

Profanity to me is the least offensive or disturbing thing to censor, a realistic gun shot to the head or the body can give kids more PTSDs than saying the F word.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-14-2020 at 07:38 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Where is the evidence Fox did not want to show Jackman nude? I have seen many fox/paramount/wb movies that had nude scenes. secondly nobody is bashing disney, this is actually a compliment to them even if the intentions may not be clear. Also X-Men 1 already had a nude scene though not as pronounced as DOFP or deadpool.

I have not seen anything Hamilton related but if the F word can only be censored if it is used in a sex content, then it works here, the F world Xavier says, was more meant to be piss off. I don't even find this all that bad, why do people make a big deal about dropping the F Bomb, especially in American films? I find Xavier's addiction to the drug serum that made him walk more disturbing to watch. it carries more convincing adult themes to dropping the f word to mean sex or the other.

I can see things going this way. I think Disney chose not to censor it because they are quite on thin ice with this one. they have yet to officially announce Deadpool 3, something that is beginning to anger deadpool fans, censoring an xmen movie may just make fans more convinced that Disney is going to overdo their kid friendly xmen.

SPLASH Censorship. = L.M.A.O.

The clip was funny and poorly edited. she also seems to be running faster, got to cover up that ass.
    http://x-menfilms.com/blog/2014/05/2...f-future-past/

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

If they're aiming a movie at a family audience, then they should leave the profanity out to begin with.

But I always want to see a movie the way it was intended to be seen.

In Hamilton the line is "...get the F back up again."

Whenever I see it censored I wonder if its about the presentation (by an aggressive black character) and wonder if its a scared white guy somewhere who chose to censor it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Eh showing man ass isn't really a big deal these days maybe it's never been. When they start showing some female nudity than I'll raise an eyebrow.

Whenever I see it censored I wonder if its about the presentation (by an aggressive black character) and wonder if its a scared white guy somewhere who chose to censor it.
    There's also the "Southern MFing Democratic-Republicans!" line, which is sung by 3 black characters, though the context is different.

It was really disappointing that those lines got censored, considering how hard both those lyrics go in the show.

BANNED

Out of curiosity, what is Hamilton about. I know its a big Broadway thing but the thing about broadway is, the play and story can be very expressive meaning there becomes room for a variety of languages.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    If they're aiming a movie at a family audience, then they should leave the profanity out to begin with.

But I always want to see a movie the way it was intended to be seen.
    The never ending debate of what goes under the family audience banner. Was The Simpsons supposed to be for a family audience? I think Disney happens to have a very very traditional view of that this means

There was a dispute but creator-ship won. Its irrelevant for you to bring up Fox not wanting it there. Disputes are expected. Outcomes requires boldness.

BANNED

There was a dispute but creator-ship won. Its irrelevant for you to bring up Fox not wanting it there. Disputes are expected. Outcomes requires boldness.
    Did he have do do something for this scene to be made? Answer is yes. And If this was not Jackman they would not have done it because nudity is still something touchy in the USA and can put the age rating in danger. I was just pointing out that Disney would not be the only one that could have problems with stuff like that.

And it is only irrelevant in your subjecitve opinion. And Disney doing it would get you in your usual Anti-Disney Rant but Fox no problem as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Synestra View Post
    There's also the "Southern MFing Democratic-Republicans!" line, which is sung by 3 black characters, though the context is different.

It was really disappointing that those lines got censored, considering how hard both those lyrics go in the show.
    No doubt, it was really disappointing. The f-word used to maximum effectiveness, in an exquisite way. This was poetry, not some kid on the street calling someone an MFer.

Out of curiosity, what is Hamilton about. I know its a big Broadway thing but the thing about broadway is, the play and story can be very expressive meaning there becomes room for a variety of languages.
    It follows the life of Alexander Hamilton, one of America's founding fathers, who is mostly known for being killed in an illegal and infamous pistol duel with Aaron Burr. Its got alot of other characters from that time period - Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, James Madison, Hercules Mulligan, King George. Hamilton. The Broadway show has a subtext of glorifying diversity, being a pretty much all black cast playing a bunch of white dudes and using rap to communicate stuff like Presidential Cabinet meetings.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 07-15-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Hamilton was censored for one reason only - to lower its rating from R to PG13.

It's the MPAA that says if you use the F word more than once, you're rated R, so Miranda agreed to drop two of the uses of the word so Hamilton could reach a broader audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Hamilton was censored for one reason only - to lower its rating from R to PG13.

It's the MPAA that says if you use the F word more than once, you're rated R, so Miranda agreed to drop two of the uses of the word so Hamilton could reach a broader audience.
    Yep this. Disney+ isn't gonna allow anything over PG13 on its platform. Why thet edited Splash and what not. I have no idea they were already PG13 but Hamilton was so it wasn't rated R. The creator Lin Manuel Miranda gave his blessings. Saying he literally gave 2 Fu**s. Hes also a disney Guy though so who knows.

As someone who watched it on Disney + and has listened to the original soundtrack. The only major difference is the singing is better in the soundtrack for obvious reasons. There are whole songs that were taken out that has nothing to do with Disney that had cussing. The show evolved over time. I think in the soundtrack there are a few more F bombs. Regardless the show has the same impact. Hercules Mulligan having the record scratch when he's says FU** isn't even really noticeable in a performance like that. If they wanted to really censor it they woulda dubbed hell or something over it. Have the record scratch makes it clear what he says. That looks like someone trying to keep a PG13 rating rather then actually change anything. Hamiltons amazing by the way. My 6 year old walks around singing " There's a million things i haven't done, but just you waiiittt"
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 07-15-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Ultimate Member

No doubt, it was really disappointing. The f-word used to maximum effectiveness, in an exquisite way. This was poetry, not some kid on the street calling someone an MFer.

It follows the life of Alexander Hamilton, one of America's founding fathers, who is mostly known for being killed in an illegal and infamous pistol duel with Aaron Burr. Its got alot of other characters from that time period - Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, James Madison, Hercules Mulligan, King George. Hamilton. The Broadway show has a subtext of glorifying diversity, being a pretty much all black cast playing a bunch of white dudes and using rap to communicate stuff like Presidential Cabinet meetings.
    Lin Manuel Miranda for one isnt black. And a good chunk of the actors aren't black.

It has a large number of black actors but it isn't an all black cast.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-16-2020 at 12:53 AM.

Niffleheim

I'm guessing in U.S. Splash can be considered a family movie (minus the butt shot) while DOFP isn't a family movie. My nephews and nieces (with Kids profiles) don't have access to a lot of movies in Marvel and the MCU catalog.