Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    No doubt, it was really disappointing. The f-word used to maximum effectiveness, in an exquisite way. This was poetry, not some kid on the street calling someone an MFer.

It follows the life of Alexander Hamilton, one of America's founding fathers, who is mostly known for being killed in an illegal and infamous pistol duel with Aaron Burr. Its got alot of other characters from that time period - Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, James Madison, Hercules Mulligan, King George. Hamilton. The Broadway show has a subtext of glorifying diversity, being a pretty much all black cast playing a bunch of white dudes and using rap to communicate stuff like Presidential Cabinet meetings.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I'm guessing in U.S. Splash can be considered a family movie (minus the butt shot) while DOFP isn't a family movie. My nephews and nieces (with Kids profiles) don't have access to a lot of movies in Marvel and the MCU catalog.
    Apparently the difference with censorship for both movies is ratings. Splash is supposed to be PG and DOFP is PG13.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Lin Manuel Miranda for one isnt black. And a good chunk of the actors aren't black.

It has a large number of black actors but it isn't an all black cast.
    And there are White people in it. Just none of the main founding fathers. Though King Geroge has like 3 solos, thats way more to do then the guy who's plays Hercules Mulligan/Madison. Seen an interview with Miranda and he said the casting was mostly because they sought out actors who could perform the music best. So white people ended up playing the more stuffy Brittish characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    And there are White people in it. Just none of the main founding fathers. Though King Geroge has like 3 solos, thats way more to do then the guy who's plays Hercules Mulligan/Madison. Seen an interview with Miranda and he said the casting was mostly because they sought out actors who could perform the music best. So white people ended up playing the more stuffy Brittish characters.
    Two women, who I think were just in the ensemble, King George and one other guy were the only original cast white members. But really if the musical teaches us anything, its that race doesn't matter.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

As someone who watched it on Disney + and has listened to the original soundtrack. The only major difference is the singing is better in the soundtrack for obvious reasons. There are whole songs that were taken out that has nothing to do with Disney that had cussing. The show evolved over time. I think in the soundtrack there are a few more F bombs. Regardless the show has the same impact. Hercules Mulligan having the record scratch when he's says FU** isn't even really noticeable in a performance like that. If they wanted to really censor it they woulda dubbed hell or something over it. Have the record scratch makes it clear what he says. That looks like someone trying to keep a PG13 rating rather then actually change anything. Hamiltons amazing by the way. My 6 year old walks around singing " There's a million things i haven't done, but just you waiiittt"
    While it's true that the signing is better on the soundtrack, like any soundtrack for obvious reasons like you said, I'd say there is another difference in actually seeing the actors perform. I actually thought Lin was going to have an emotional breakdown during It's Quiet Uptown. The cast really put their all into the performances, and while a soundtrack has the benefit of polishing up the singing, the show adds an even deeper level of emotion through the cast. Then there's the choreography.

Generally speaking, I accepted the censorship of Hamilton because it was necessary to reach a wider audience, as was also mentioned, and because Lin approved of it. I've also had the experience of seeing it live (I was going to see it again this year while it was on tour, but COVID happened).
    That's true, King George does have 3 solos, but I think it balances out as his stage time amounts to about 9 minutes, while the actor playing Mulligan/Madison has much more stage time.

Yep this. Disney+ isn't gonna allow anything over PG13 on its platform. Why thet edited Splash and what not. I have no idea they were already PG13 but Hamilton was so it wasn't rated R. The creator Lin Manuel Miranda gave his blessings. Saying he literally gave 2 Fu**s. Hes also a disney Guy though so who knows.

As someone who watched it on Disney + and has listened to the original soundtrack. The only major difference is the singing is better in the soundtrack for obvious reasons. There are whole songs that were taken out that has nothing to do with Disney that had cussing. The show evolved over time. I think in the soundtrack there are a few more F bombs. Regardless the show has the same impact. Hercules Mulligan having the record scratch when he's says FU** isn't even really noticeable in a performance like that. If they wanted to really censor it they woulda dubbed hell or something over it. Have the record scratch makes it clear what he says. That looks like someone trying to keep a PG13 rating rather then actually change anything. Hamiltons amazing by the way. My 6 year old walks around singing " There's a million things i haven't done, but just you waiiittt"
    Pretty sure it was Manuel's decision in the end.

"In February, Manuel also told The New York Times’ Kyle Buchanan that if they had to “mute a word here or there to reach the largest audience possible, I’m okay with that, because your kids already have the original language memorized,” adding that he didn’t “think we’re depriving anyone of anything if we mute an f-bomb here or there to make our rating.”

“I literally gave two fucks so the kids could see it,” Manuel tweeted."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Two women, who I think were just in the ensemble, King George and one other guy were the only original cast white members. But really if the musical teaches us anything, its that race doesn't matter.
    Does Hamilton drop the N Word?

Apparently the difference with censorship for both movies is ratings. Splash is supposed to be PG and DOFP is PG13.
    People forget nude scene was no big deal in movies back in the 80s. (put it on tv however and they freak out) Kids movies had nude scene and was full of curse words, had blood and death then. Goonies and bad news bears cursed lke sailors and cloak and dagger and goonies had dead bodies in them.

Clash of the titans, sheena, red sonya, and others all had naked woman and they were family films with kids toys, games and comics. Neverending story had the naked talking statues.

Police academy was full of nude woman and curse words. It was so big with kids it turned into a pg family film by part 3 and a kids series by part 5!

Even disney with dragonslayer and baby secret of the lost legend had naked woman in it!

They didn't have pg-13 then so you did get naked parts in pg family films!

As for the simpsons. What did they edit? I have watched a few episodes and they were all uncut. Barts first word joke was still there and the simpsons movie had the full bart skateboard scene uncut along with the sex joke with the animals and homer flipping you off! The treehouse episode i watched was uncut also complete with the gore.

Potc still has the kid getting hung, Guy getting his eye pulled out by a bird and other deaths. Natty gann still a little girl smoking and curses and black hole still has that scary ending.

As for butts edits, only a woman's butt got edited on disney plus. Thor 3, simpsons, simpsons movie, and x-men all have guys butts uncut but they edit the one woman's butt.

Guess to disney guys butts are ok but don't you dare have a woman's butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Does Hamilton drop the N Word?
    I don't recall it being used during the play when I saw it in NYC.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Call me when they show Logan with the girl flashing in the limo.
    Call me when Song of the South is released unedited.

Oh and here is a Disney movie to look up-Jump In with Corbin Bleu.

It seems a certain N word may have been in the movie's script.

While the scene in question does not have the actor say it however, the closed caption DOES (or did during the first showing) have it. I want to say the scene it happens in is where Corbin is dealing with the bully in a boxing ring and the bully is talking about dealing with people.

The caption shows the N-word when nhe says people.

I am not sure if the DVD captions have it. been so long since I saw that movie but it was there. I want to say there is screencap of it somewhere online.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Thanks.

The F word is mild to me compared to the N Word. That line I don't see Disney crossing , however I will argue full nudity in films should get more censorship than dropping the n word and the lesser f word offence because the eyes are more sensitive than the ears.

profanity, swearing, smoking, drugs, bullet shot wounds, butts
    But is there any actual substance? Or is it just gratuitous stuff being called "mature" and "adult" when the appeal is really juvenile?

Not being sarcastic. Really asking.

Edit: If it is on a Netflix MCU level, it's worth it.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    But is there any actual substance? Or is it just gratuitous stuff being called "mature" and "adult" when the appeal is really juvenile?

Not being sarcastic. Really asking.

Edit: If it is on a Netflix MCU level, it's worth it.
    The definite question for every film that tries to push buttons or sell a "mature" and "adult" film. it has to be about substance. For this movie there was substance though I can see few trying to argue against it.

The only F word used in the film ties well with the story. it was a recall of a minor plot in the first film that becomes a major plot in the second film.

Wolverine smokes a lot but we know he is immune to any smoking illnesses. we know also Wolverine is a rough guy, smoking, drinking, fighting are all part of that one character, brash with a bad boy image.

Butts and bullet shot were done with realism that adults would not find so r rated. if a person gets shot multiple times, you see the holes on the body, if you go to bed with a woman, chances are you get up from the bed naked. Its life playing out. If you watch The Boys, Karl Urban's character gets up from the bed naked like Wolverine after making love to his wife. I only remembered that now because that is also a superhero series.

If you live in isolation and get high on drugs to treat PTSDs or gain some ''health'' or emotional advantage, chances are you have all the equipment that gets you high just siting around the house to use at any time, that is what an addict does in true-life.

For this particular movie, Everything flowed well and added to adult/mature tone of the film and important character traits. I think some are making it a big deal because its on Disney plus. the movie has been out for 6 years and no one complained.

If you want gratuitous that I can see Disney correctly censoring out , try one of those Meghan Fox hotness scene from transformers or JJ Abrams films, women just strip to their bra and panties for no real reasons that never ties in to the plot or character traits.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-19-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    No there are more F words and other cuss words. Like Hamilton calling John Adam's a fat Motherfu**er or Jefferson saying motherfu**ing democratic republican. But yea no N bombs. Even if they are played by POC it would be a bad look. These are still white men from an ugly time in our history.

BANNED

Thanks.

The F word is mild to me compared to the N Word. That line I don't see Disney crossing , however I will argue full nudity in films should get more censorship than dropping the n word and the lesser f word offence because the eyes are more sensitive than the ears.
    So showing nudity in movies is worse than using the N-Word? I find this more than a little weird. But that must be an USA thing remembering that seeing Janet Jacksons nipple for a second must have been the worst thing ever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    So showing nudity in movies is worse than using the N-Word? I find this more than a little weird. But that must be an USA thing remembering that seeing Janet Jacksons nipple for a second must have been the worst thing ever.
    Janet Jackson's nipplegate came as a shock, it was unplanned, unprofessional and that is real life.

DOFP, Hamilton, Splash are all fiction with high realism moments.no shock there.

For me nudity is worse if we are really talking about protecting kids. If I had a kid, I rather him hear the n word than see a grown man or woman naked that is sex related.