Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best/most successful “team” character

Let’s get the exposition out of the way.
    Looking for the best, most successful, or just your own personal favorite, team character.

By that I mean, a character created specifically to join an existing team.
    In some cases, whole teams of new characters are introduced all at once. That’s not what I’m asking about (though it’s an interesting idea for a different thread, actually).
    Not looking for pre-existing characters who join and come to epitomize the team (like Cap/Avengers, Wolverine/X-Men), but original characters that debut w. the purpose of becoming team members.

The obligatory example:

The Vision debuted in Avengers V1 57, and joined in Avengers V1 58. He pretty much the ur example for this type of character. He’s been in some solo books/minis, but easily 90% of his history plays out as an Avenger.
    He’s been in a couple of Avengers cartoons, made it to the MCU, and is going to costar in a web series this year.
    Not too shabby.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Vibe was created for JL Detroit, and even though he's been dead for decades in the comics, he's been one of the main supporting characters in the successful Flash TV show for several years now.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Vibe was created for JL Detroit, and even though he's been dead for decades in the comics, he's been one of the main supporting characters in the successful Flash TV show for several years now.
    ^^^That’s a good one!

Were the other JLA Detroit newbies originals?
    Pretty sure Vixen wasn’t (I think she was supposed to debut in her own comic but it never panned out, then she popped up somewhere else prior to being in the JLA), not sure about Gypsy and the Detroit version of Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^That’s a good one!

Were the other JLA Detroit newbies originals?
    Pretty sure Vixen wasn’t (I think she was supposed to debut in her own comic but it never panned out, then she popped up somewhere else prior to being in the JLA), not sure about Gypsy and the Detroit version of Steel.
    Pretty sure they were originals (other than Vixen as you pointed out). Gipsy was Vibe's love interest in Flash, but really only shared the character's name. Steel has been in Legends of Tomorrow, so he is out there, but his profile is a lot lower than Vibe's.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Hank McCoy. As far as a team goes he's been on a few. I wanna say when he lost his intellect and went all beastly Beast, wasn't he part of a team of baddies? It was around the time under one of the late 80's crossovers... maybe Fall of the Mutants... Anyway, started as an OG X-Man, Defender, back with Jim Lee X-Men and even if you count that time he and Dazzler teamed up for a mini.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Hank was part of a newly founded team though.

Wonder Man never really took off, but he was in a few cartoon shows.

Hillary was right!

Brunhilde the Valkyrie in Secret Avengers. I was surprised/impressed that she fit in as well as she did, having primarily only been with the Defenders (on Earth).

Val also well-followed orders by Cap and Black Widow, without question or wanting to be team leader.

Would the All New - All different X-men count? They were created to join a pre-existing team, though replaced the original members and became a new team unto themselves.

Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler would definitely be some of the more successful.

From the DC side of things, how about Cyborg, Raven and Starfire? I believe they were both created to join the Teen Titans and have been extremely successful in terms of comics/other media.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Hank was part of a newly founded team though.

Wonder Man never really took off, but he was in a few cartoon shows.
    Beast wouldn’t count towards what I’m asking, but I guess Wonderman would.
    I hadn’t even thought of him!

Yes? Or maybe not?

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes? Or maybe not?

Oddly that was one of my first thoughts, too.

Hillary was right!

I'd like to throw Gambit in there as well. Unlike the others I mentioned I think he came in by himself.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Yeah, Gambit is a good one. Unlike Rogue and Wolverine, he had not shown up elsewhere before, and unlike Bishop and Maggot, people actually know him.

Hillary was right!

While you can debate just how much of a success the character wound up becoming, Shatterstar.

Boisterously Confused

Sidekicks are doubtlessly outside the parameters you had in mind. Still, I can't help thinking of Dick (Robin/Nightwing) Grayson (Wally West doesn't count because he wasn't really a part of a consistent team with The Flash).

On the other hand, Powergirl has had a couple of titles along the way. As she has her own TV show, Stargirl has to make the list.