Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Would Bruce ever pick one of the female Bat Family members to replace him?

The whole “replace Bruce Wayne with ________” story has been done multiple times, but (AFAIK) never w. a female Bat Family member.

There’s one Batwoman, multiple Batgirls, and some other non Bat named females in Bruce’s extended family. What are the odds/pros and cons of one ever taking up the mantle, officially?
    And how would it even work w. Kate Kane already having the name, if Bruce didn’t just pick her automatically?

Extraordinary Member

Didn’t Kate become Batwoman after Infinite Crisis in the first place, because Bruce left Gotham? And there was no Bat character around.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Sure, he's obsessive and overbearing, not sexist.

How would that work? Is it simply, Gordon turns on the light and female Batman now shows? Is that what signifies the leader?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Sure, he's obsessive and overbearing, not sexist.
    I remember Casandra Cain wasn't even in the consideration when that topic came up in her first series. She was more like a guest star while his old male sidekicks duked it out for the mantle.

When was Bruce not Batman during her series?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I remember Casandra Cain wasn't even in the consideration when that topic came up in her first series. She was more like a guest star while his old male sidekicks duked it out for the mantle.
    Wich story do you mean BftC?
    At that point Cass didn't had a series anymore and was in general sidelined (and btw. Cass was older than Jason and Tim back then).

I think it comes down to few things, if the Replacement needs to pretend that he is the original (which was iirc the case in Knightfall and BftC) the female members are out.

If not their male counterparts are usually more experienced, closer to Bruce and have all been way trained by him and worked with him (the female members were usually stated at older age, worked independently and not as his sidekicks/partners and got most of their training from someone else), so picking one of the female members would only make sense if the males of their and older generations are not available.

Actually in the current situation with Dick having lost his memory, Jason going rogue and Tim and Damian still being to young imo, taking one of the female members would actually make sense.

Btw. didn't Carrie Kelly kind of replaced him in the newer TDKR sequels?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I think Bruce would be more likely to build his own replacement than pass it on to somebody else at this point. Being the Bat full time is a punishment, not a reward.

Just caught up w. this thread. Awesome replies, lots of food for thought!

Didn’t want to start a new thread, but if anyone wants to weigh in on this...:

Does the Batgirl identity belong to Bruce or Barbara?

Unless it’s changed in the course of DC’s unending reboots (which I don’t know every single nuance of) Barbara originated Batgirl independent of Bruce and against his wishes.
    But I think he (Bruce) has given the identity to other characters?

If he has, what gives him the right (other than “I’m Batman”)?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Wich story do you mean BftC?
    At that point Cass didn't had a series anymore and was in general sidelined (and btw. Cass was older than Jason and Tim back then).
    That was it.

I think it comes down to few things, if the Replacement needs to pretend that he is the original (which was iirc the case in Knightfall and BftC) the female members are out.

If not their male counterparts are usually more experienced, closer to Bruce and have all been way trained by him and worked with him (the female members were usually stated at older age, worked independently and not as his sidekicks/partners and got most of their training from someone else), so picking one of the female members would only make sense if the males of their and older generations are not available.

Actually in the current situation with Dick having lost his memory, Jason going rogue and Tim and Damian still being to young imo, taking one of the female members would actually make sense.

Btw. didn't Carrie Kelly kind of replaced him in the newer TDKR sequels?
    Taking over the mantle is obvious out, but they should be in the running for being Gotham's primary protector under their own or a new identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    The whole “replace Bruce Wayne with ________” story has been done multiple times, but (AFAIK) never w. a female Bat Family member.

There’s one Batwoman, multiple Batgirls, and some other non Bat named females in Bruce’s extended family. What are the odds/pros and cons of one ever taking up the mantle, officially?
    And how would it even work w. Kate Kane already having the name, if Bruce didn’t just pick her automatically?
    While the overall run was soured for me, in King's Batman Rebirth Annual, it did look like Helena became Batwoman in Bruce's stead.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

As far as I remember the only one Bruce has ever chosen to replace him was Azrael, I may be wrong though as I'm not all that sure under what circumstances Tim and Jason have come to be Batman.

Then there is Terry that, stole the cowl and then was closely supervised.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    As far as I remember the only one Bruce has ever chosen to replace him was Azrael, I may be wrong though as I'm not all that sure under what circumstances Tim and Jason have come to be Batman.

When was Tim and Jason Batman?

In DCeased he chose Damian since he's the survivor and already prepared Damian Batman suit in advance, so I think at least in the universe he prepared for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    When was Tim and Jason Batman?

In DCeased he chose Damian since he's the survivor and already prepared Damian Batman suit in advance, so I think at least in the universe he prepared for all of them.
    Battle for the cowl. They didn't do a good job.

In DCeased his words stated that he had prepared for and hoped for Damian to replace him. not sure where you got the idea that he made suits for all of them.

I can see him picking one of the girls if they have the skills. Kate or Babs.

Cass and Steph don't have the skills to replace him
    Last edited by Fergus; 07-13-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post

Battle for the Cowl, when Batman was presumed dead by Darkseid. Although you are correct I think Azrael is the only character where Bruce said, "please take my place."
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.