Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Didn't Dick end up became Batman? Was that before or after?

He did it out of a sense of obligation but he doesn't want it if he could, and the priority of choosing Dick and him accepting it is because he can act and make people think it's the previous Batman. Even though a lot of important people, friends, and foes ended up knowing it's him, the goal was to give the impression that it's the same Batman to the general public.

So if the goal is to make people think it's the same Batman, then no, unless the women wear a voice modulator and male body suit, but if they don't plan to maintain such illusion, then it can be anyone.
    Dick was Batman before, but then he found his son again and lost motivation to be Batman because that version of Dick didn't have any trauma like Bruce or Thomas Wayne. Then he got hurt and basically became oracle while Helena became the new Batman and Dick's son became Robin......yes I think I am one of the few people who actually read the Earth 2 ongoing series.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Sure, he's obsessive and overbearing, not sexist.
    I remember Casandra Cain wasn't even in the consideration when that topic came up in her first series. She was more like a guest star while his old male sidekicks duked it out for the mantle.

When was Bruce not Batman during her series?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I remember Casandra Cain wasn't even in the consideration when that topic came up in her first series. She was more like a guest star while his old male sidekicks duked it out for the mantle.
    Wich story do you mean BftC?
    At that point Cass didn't had a series anymore and was in general sidelined (and btw. Cass was older than Jason and Tim back then).

I think it comes down to few things, if the Replacement needs to pretend that he is the original (which was iirc the case in Knightfall and BftC) the female members are out.

If not their male counterparts are usually more experienced, closer to Bruce and have all been way trained by him and worked with him (the female members were usually stated at older age, worked independently and not as his sidekicks/partners and got most of their training from someone else), so picking one of the female members would only make sense if the males of their and older generations are not available.

Actually in the current situation with Dick having lost his memory, Jason going rogue and Tim and Damian still being to young imo, taking one of the female members would actually make sense.

Btw. didn't Carrie Kelly kind of replaced him in the newer TDKR sequels?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I think Bruce would be more likely to build his own replacement than pass it on to somebody else at this point. Being the Bat full time is a punishment, not a reward.

Just caught up w. this thread. Awesome replies, lots of food for thought!

Didn’t want to start a new thread, but if anyone wants to weigh in on this...:

Does the Batgirl identity belong to Bruce or Barbara?

Unless it’s changed in the course of DC’s unending reboots (which I don’t know every single nuance of) Barbara originated Batgirl independent of Bruce and against his wishes.
    But I think he (Bruce) has given the identity to other characters?

If he has, what gives him the right (other than “I’m Batman”)?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Dick was Batman before, but then he found his son again and lost motivation to be Batman because that version of Dick didn't have any trauma like Bruce or Thomas Wayne. Then he got hurt and basically became oracle while Helena became the new Batman and Dick's son became Robin......yes I think I am one of the few people who actually read the Earth 2 ongoing series.
    I can't imagine him happy about his son being Robin since he's his whole motivation during his arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Just caught up w. this thread. Awesome replies, lots of food for thought!

Didn’t want to start a new thread, but if anyone wants to weigh in on this...:

Does the Batgirl identity belong to Bruce or Barbara?

Unless it’s changed in the course of DC’s unending reboots (which I don’t know every single nuance of) Barbara originated Batgirl independent of Bruce and against his wishes.
    But I think he (Bruce) has given the identity to other characters?

If he has, what gives him the right (other than “I’m Batman”)?
    Barbara. There was a thing when Cass first started and Bruce disapproves, Barbara shot back saying that the Batgirl mantle wasn't his to ban or give.

Every time there's a new Batgirl, Cass, Steph, and presumably Tiffany in Futures End, they went to Barbara.

I can't imagine him happy about his son being Robin since he's his whole motivation during his arc.

Barbara. There was a thing when Cass first started and Bruce disapproves, Barbara shot back saying that the Batgirl mantle wasn't his to ban or give.

Every time there's a new Batgirl, Cass, Steph, and presumably Tiffany in Futures End, they went to Barbara.
    Well his son had superpowers then thanks to meddling from the Ultrahumanite so in that case Robin was actually stronger and more invulnerable then Batman. I mean it’s a little hard to stop your son from being Robin when he’s got superpowers and your in a wheelchair.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Wich story do you mean BftC?
    At that point Cass didn't had a series anymore and was in general sidelined (and btw. Cass was older than Jason and Tim back then).
    That was it.

I think it comes down to few things, if the Replacement needs to pretend that he is the original (which was iirc the case in Knightfall and BftC) the female members are out.

If not their male counterparts are usually more experienced, closer to Bruce and have all been way trained by him and worked with him (the female members were usually stated at older age, worked independently and not as his sidekicks/partners and got most of their training from someone else), so picking one of the female members would only make sense if the males of their and older generations are not available.

Actually in the current situation with Dick having lost his memory, Jason going rogue and Tim and Damian still being to young imo, taking one of the female members would actually make sense.

Btw. didn't Carrie Kelly kind of replaced him in the newer TDKR sequels?
    Taking over the mantle is obvious out, but they should be in the running for being Gotham's primary protector under their own or a new identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Didn't he tell Kate and Luke to protect Gotham for a while some time back, while he and the Robins and Batgirl left the city for whatever reason? I remember something like that happening.
    Wasn't even him. It was Barbara, Jason, and Tim basically finding her on patrol and going "we're gonna be gone for a while, you're it, byyyyye."

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I don't think Kate has the people skills to deal with a bunch of teenagers and 20-somethings, her leadership is more combat strategy. Babs on the other hand is better with empathy.
    I think she would. Her final rank as a cadet specifically involved coordinating between various departments, along with being responsible for, among other things, morale within the Brigade Staff. Can't do any of that without people skills.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Are t[he girls qualified? I often see posts or comments about Cass becoming Batman which is laughable. Bruce would pick anyone who has the skills regardless of gender. Boobs can be concealed

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So that iswhat went down in Earth 2 Society, i personally quit after Convergence.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member

Except Helena in No Man’s Land.

I'm not sure it would make too much sense for one of the girls to take over the Batman mantle. But I certainly think Bruce wouldn't mind one becoming de facto leader of the Batman family - I just think its likely they would do it under the Batwoman Alias. Just don't see much point in them pretending to be a man unless for some reason they are hiding that Bruce is out of commission. Don't see much reason for any Batfemales to hide their gender - or if they would even want to. Im pretty sure some characters like Kate or Barbara would probably want people to know they are a girl.

Honestly if something ever happened to Bruce, I could envision Barbara leading and holding the family together. Other characters in the family all seem to respect her a whole lot.
    Last edited by Katana500; 07-15-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Before DC decided to neglect Cass, she probably would have been next in line of being Batman if she was allowed to continue. At the very least, both Bruce and Tim thought she'd make a perfect Batman.
    And behold I shall be a blight upon the land and everything I touch shall wither and die.