Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Do you mean replace him as Bat-Family leader, or his role in the Justice League? Because I could see Babs taking over as family leader, but I could see Kate in the Justice League.

I don't think Kate has the people skills to deal with a bunch of teenagers and 20-somethings, her leadership is more combat strategy. Babs on the other hand is better with empathy.

Which reminds me, I keep forgetting Kate is a 20-something now, I'm so used to her original solo where she was in her 30s before the de-ageing of Rebirth. Babs used to be in her 30s at some point too, they all keep getting younger.

Bruce is still in his thirties, right? How old is Selina?
    In The New 52, he's 31 and Selina's 23 but in Rebirth, I'm not sure since the back story timeline was lengthened from 5 years to 10 and now maybe 15.

But the starting point for Bruce as Batman is always 25 in both Year One and Zero Year, and both backstories are still used, so Bruce is about 35-40 in the present day.

As for Selina, I don't know if they mentioned her age in Rebirth yet. King's using Batman Year One, and she was late teens there based on Catwoman Year One. 19 at most. So the present day should be her age would be around 29-34 tops.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-13-2020 at 03:57 AM.

Mighty Member

I don't think anyone should replace Bruce as Batman. Batman is a unique thing born out of Bruce's psyche and I don't believe can be duplicated. Anyone else in the cowl "man or woman" just wouldn't seem genuine or believable. Even when Dick was Batman with Damian he never really seemed like The Batman. I think that one true Batman will always ever be Bruce and anyone else will always be perceived as a pretender. Besides I don't think Bruce wants a successor, he may actively discourage anyone from taking up his mantle; instead wanting them to be their own person with their own identity.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

What stories would be there to tell? Babs/Kate/Cassandra rule the night... what can be told that's not possible with their current status quo? Bruce retires/dies... what's new?

Isn't that what Helena Wayne was? She was essentially the Earth 2 replacement for Batman, and in the New 52 she ended up becoming Batman by the end of Earth 2: Society.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Cass actually wanted to replace him, so there's that.

Kate is probably the most like him in some respects so even if she couldn't fully embody his entire Batman experience she would probably be a natural fit to take up the crusade in some respects.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Well nothing we do here will be official...

Thanks for the responses though, guys!
    I'm sorry, I didn't want be so rude; I wrote straight off. Maybe tomorrow I will explain what I think, because in this moment I'm too tired to do that.

Unless Dick is specifically not around no one else would get chosen, male or female, that's how I look at it. He's the true, earned heir. So he has to be out of the picture for me to entertain anyone else regardless of gender or race or whatever.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Isn't that what Helena Wayne was? She was essentially the Earth 2 replacement for Batman, and in the New 52 she ended up becoming Batman by the end of Earth 2: Society.
    Didn't Dick end up became Batman? Was that before or after?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Unless Dick is specifically not around no one else would get chosen, male or female, that's how I look at it. He's the true, earned heir. So he has to be out of the picture for me to entertain anyone else regardless of gender or race or whatever.
    He did it out of a sense of obligation but he doesn't want it if he could, and the priority of choosing Dick and him accepting it is because he can act and make people think it's the previous Batman. Even though a lot of important people, friends, and foes ended up knowing it's him, the goal was to give the impression that it's the same Batman to the general public.

So if the goal is to make people think it's the same Batman, then no, unless the women wear a voice modulator and male body suit, but if they don't plan to maintain such illusion, then it can be anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    When was Tim and Jason Batman?

In DCeased he chose Damian since he's the survivor and already prepared Damian Batman suit in advance, so I think at least in the universe he prepared for all of them.
    Battle for the cowl. They didn't do a good job.

In DCeased his words stated that he had prepared for and hoped for Damian to replace him. not sure where you got the idea that he made suits for all of them.

I can see him picking one of the girls if they have the skills. Kate or Babs.

Cass and Steph don't have the skills to replace him
    Last edited by Fergus; 07-13-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That's not what we've seen though is it?

Does Dick or anyone want or deserve to that? Not counting the two abused and brainwashed kids raised by the LOA who we know want it. Dick doesn't want to be Batman. He is Nightwing.

Being Batman is a thankless dangerous job. Impossible to win at and you fail to reach your targets every year. Perhaps why Bruce choose Azreal in Knightfall, Terry a stranger in BB and Damian a kid whose life was already tainted with Darkness in DCeased.

Do you mean replace him as Bat-Family leader, or his role in the Justice League? Because I could see Babs taking over as family leader, but I could see Kate in the Justice League.

I don't think Kate has the people skills to deal with a bunch of teenagers and 20-somethings, her leadership is more combat strategy. Babs on the other hand is better with empathy.

Which reminds me, I keep forgetting Kate is a 20-something now, I'm so used to her original solo where she was in her 30s before the de-ageing of Rebirth. Babs used to be in her 30s at some point too, they all keep getting younger.

Bruce is still in his thirties, right? How old is Selina?
    Selina can't replace Bruce in any of his roles, not as a the head of the family, not as Batman, not as a father, not as a the head of WE.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Selina can't replace Bruce in any of his roles, not as a the head of the family, not as Batman, not as a father, not as a the head of WE.
    Outsiders leader? Justice League member?

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    …and it never worked so I would love if the writers wouldn't rewrite again this story: Bruce Wayne is Batman, Dick Grayson is Nightwing, Kate Kane is Batwoman, Selina Kyle is Catwoman.
    Absolutely! When they try to replace them it usually backfires, and things return to status quo anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    With Kate you have also the problem that (at least if we stick the pre flashpoint order of events) most of these "teenagers and 20-somethings" are longer in the superhero business than she is, and most of them have been leaders of superhero teams for quite a while.
    Yeah, it's weird, they seem to have both made her younger and cut down on her experience level. Not sure how long she was Batwoman in 52, but it was longer than 2 years, and she was 32 years old.
    Then in Rebirth in both 'Tec and her solo, they showed that she'd only been Batwoman for 2 years, and was 28 years old.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, it's weird, they seem to have both made her younger and cut down on her experience level. Not sure how long she was Batwoman in 52, but it was longer than 2 years, and she was 32 years old.
    Then in Rebirth in both 'Tec and her solo, they showed that she'd only been Batwoman for 2 years, and was 28 years old.
    Didn't she only start as Batwoman in the "52"-series in pre crisis, and then had to to take break after being stabbed?

Btw. for me allready the treatment of Flamebird in her solo was wired, I mean Bette started as Superhero even before Barbara Gordon. That was roughly 10 years before Kate became Batwoman.

Didn't she only start as Batwoman in the "52"-series in pre crisis, and then had to to take break after being stabbed?
    Ehh, to be honest the first Batwoman book I read was Elegy, I only have a brief idea of her prior history from articles and wikis.

. for me allready the treatment of Flamebird in her solo was wired, I mean Bette started as Superhero even before Barbara Gordon. That was roughly 10 years before Kate became Batwoman.
    I don't even pretend to know what's going on with Bette.
    And that goes for whatever her family history is as well, since Bruce doesn't seem to know she exists, and she doesn't seem to have any visible parents. Kate, and to a lesser extent Jacob, are the only Kanes that gets acknowledged as Bruce's relatives. Beth/Alice occasionally, but only if Kate is around.