Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Would Bruce ever pick one of the female Bat Family members to replace him?

The whole “replace Bruce Wayne with ________” story has been done multiple times, but (AFAIK) never w. a female Bat Family member.

There’s one Batwoman, multiple Batgirls, and some other non Bat named females in Bruce’s extended family. What are the odds/pros and cons of one ever taking up the mantle, officially?
    And how would it even work w. Kate Kane already having the name, if Bruce didn’t just pick her automatically?

Extraordinary Member

Didn’t Kate become Batwoman after Infinite Crisis in the first place, because Bruce left Gotham? And there was no Bat character around.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    The whole “replace Bruce Wayne with ________” story has been done multiple times, but (AFAIK) never w. a female Bat Family member.

There’s one Batwoman, multiple Batgirls, and some other non Bat named females in Bruce’s extended family. What are the odds/pros and cons of one ever taking up the mantle, officially?
    And how would it even work w. Kate Kane already having the name, if Bruce didn’t just pick her automatically?
    While the overall run was soured for me, in King's Batman Rebirth Annual, it did look like Helena became Batwoman in Bruce's stead.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Sure, he's obsessive and overbearing, not sexist.

How would that work? Is it simply, Gordon turns on the light and female Batman now shows? Is that what signifies the leader?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

As far as I remember the only one Bruce has ever chosen to replace him was Azrael, I may be wrong though as I'm not all that sure under what circumstances Tim and Jason have come to be Batman.

Then there is Terry that, stole the cowl and then was closely supervised.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    As far as I remember the only one Bruce has ever chosen to replace him was Azrael, I may be wrong though as I'm not all that sure under what circumstances Tim and Jason have come to be Batman.

When was Tim and Jason Batman?

In DCeased he chose Damian since he's the survivor and already prepared Damian Batman suit in advance, so I think at least in the universe he prepared for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post

Battle for the Cowl, when Batman was presumed dead by Darkseid. Although you are correct I think Azrael is the only character where Bruce said, "please take my place."
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Didn't he tell Kate and Luke to protect Gotham for a while some time back, while he and the Robins and Batgirl left the city for whatever reason? I remember something like that happening. Usually Batwoman seems to be outside of Gotham lately, when her guest appearances keep referencing her having been "away".

Selina?

Do you mean replace him as Bat-Family leader, or his role in the Justice League? Because I could see Babs taking over as family leader, but I could see Kate in the Justice League.

I don't think Kate has the people skills to deal with a bunch of teenagers and 20-somethings, her leadership is more combat strategy. Babs on the other hand is better with empathy.

Which reminds me, I keep forgetting Kate is a 20-something now, I'm so used to her original solo where she was in her 30s before the de-ageing of Rebirth. Babs used to be in her 30s at some point too, they all keep getting younger.

Bruce is still in his thirties, right? How old is Selina?
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 07-12-2020 at 11:58 PM.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

The whole “replace Bruce Wayne with ________” story has been done multiple times…
    …and it never worked so I would love if the writers wouldn't rewrite again this story: Bruce Wayne is Batman, Dick Grayson is Nightwing, Kate Kane is Batwoman, Selina Kyle is Catwoman. Maybe it is a concept that can work in some alternative universe, graphic novel, movie or TV show, but not in the main continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    …and it never worked so I would love if the writers wouldn't rewrite again this story: Bruce Wayne is Batman, Dick Grayson is Nightwing, Kate Kane is Batwoman, Selina Kyle is Catwoman. Maybe it is a concept that can work in some alternative universe, graphic novel, movie or TV show, but not in the main continuity.
    ^^^Well nothing we do here will be official...

Thanks for the responses though, guys!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I don't think Kate has the people skills to deal with a bunch of teenagers and 20-somethings, her leadership is more combat strategy. Babs on the other hand is better with empathy.
    With Kate you have also the problem that (at least if we stick the pre flashpoint order of events) most of these "teenagers and 20-somethings" are longer in the superhero business than she is, and most of them have been leaders of superhero teams for quite a while.

Extraordinary Member

Bruce also chose Dick to be Batman for a short time following him defeating Azrael.