Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This would kinda suggest that parachuting or bungie jumping is fatal.
    It can be fatal, if, you don't pull the cord of the parachute at the right moment, by which point people can die in the sky before they hit the ground.

    In the case of bungie jumping you have a cord and harness that makes that possible, which doesn't apply to people in freefall.

  2. #17
    Mighty Member your_name_here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    She was conscious and in shock on the bridge and when she fell, then her neck snapped.
    How Iíve always read it, too

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    How I’ve always read it, too
    She was unconscious on top of the bridge but then Goblin rammed her off the bridge on his glider at top speed, which increased her terminal velocity. Since she was likely drugged unconscious, that meant she could have died from a combination of the impact of the glider and the fall.

    Her descent would have been faster than if she was simply dropped (which is how adaptations and other versions often frame this sequence, with Goblin simply dropping her). Spider-Man is fast enough to catch a Gwen at normal terminal velocity, but not at that speed, hence him trying to web her up. And Spider-Man webbed up many people before and after Gwen, including a baby, and nothing happened the same way.

    The concept was written as a last-minute gimmick, and the actual story was never written in mind with Spider-Man snapping her neck since it's never alluded to again in the pages and the immediate aftermath for long afterwards. I think we need to stick with the story as told, and not let some sound effect overwrite the art, paneling and dialogue.

  4. #19
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    6,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This would kinda suggest that parachuting or bungie jumping is fatal.

    So I'm glad to have the alternate explanation.
    So I googled around a bit and found no deaths due to the "thrill of the fall" in bungie jumping or sky diving. Lots of deaths due to people smacking into the ground though. Never going to do this stuff, ever ever.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  5. #20
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    9,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Strangely enough, Ann Nocenti, in an interview with Ed Piskor and Jim Rugg at their YouTube Channel addressed this over the weekend. She said that as an editor and a writer, people would always try and slip stuff past the editor without them noticing it. She called it a "yellow bowtie".

    Nocenti was the editor on Spider-Man V. Wolverine #1, and she said that years later fans would accost her and ask her how she could let Spider-Man kill someone, and she said that she never did that. She said Spider-Man never kills and then the fan would show her the comic and she was surprised to have dropped the ball and for Christopher Priest (then Jim Owsley) to slip something past her. So if Nocenti had been more attentive, that sequence would have been edited and removed.

    In either case, that situation (which by the way has always been controversial and rarely referred to in continuity) has always been controversial and it has nothing in common with Gwen's death.



    Except it didn't.

    The Night Gwen Stacy Died did not in any way change Spider-Man's character and certainly not forever.
    All right, then. Thanks for bringing that up, although it did get referenced more recently, at first as part of the impetus for Spider-Man's "no one dies on my watch anymore!" ethos after the Revenge of the Spider-Slayers got Marla Madison-Jameson killed by Alistair Smythe, then later in Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil where Spider-Man himself brought it up as a way to reach out to an increasingly self-destructive Daredevil and get him to (temporarily) retire as a vigilante.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    All right, then. Thanks for bringing that up, although it did get referenced more recently, at first as part of the impetus for Spider-Man's "no one dies on my watch anymore!" ethos after the Revenge of the Spider-Slayers got Marla Madison-Jameson killed by Alistair Smythe, then later in Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil where Spider-Man himself brought it up as a way to reach out to an increasingly self-destructive Daredevil and get him to (temporarily) retire as a vigilante.
    Hence why I said "rarely brought up". Those are the rare times it is brought up and addressed. Aside from that it'snot addressed or mentioned very often by other writers for the obvious reason that every issue after that never treated Spider-Man as a murderer or someone who had taken a life before.

    When Spider-Man angsts or mourns Gwen, he never thinks, to my knowledge, of Gwen's death being because he snapped her neck. Paul Jenkins' Green Goblin-Spider-Man stories only work because Goblin killed Gwen deliberately.

    The writers never treat Spider-Man as a murderer, so in the broad continuity sense, these instances don't add to Peter as a character. So even if it's in continuity, in the broad sense it didn't happen.

  7. #22
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    9,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Hence why I said "rarely brought up". Those are the rare times it is brought up and addressed. Aside from that it'snot addressed or mentioned very often by other writers for the obvious reason that every issue after that never treated Spider-Man as a murderer or someone who had taken a life before.

    When Spider-Man angsts or mourns Gwen, he never thinks, to my knowledge, of Gwen's death being because he snapped her neck. Paul Jenkins' Green Goblin-Spider-Man stories only work because Goblin killed Gwen deliberately.

    The writers never treat Spider-Man as a murderer, so in the broad continuity sense, these instances don't add to Peter as a character. So even if it's in continuity, in the broad sense it didn't happen.
    I can see that point.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •