Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Rank In Strength II

So, I thought I'd do a Marvel/DC switchola of the previous thread by Superfan90. No number ranking is required, but suit yourself.

Current Sentry, rank the below in comparison.

Orion (post crisis)

Superboy (maybe start with post crisis, pocket universe Superboy - we can switch to Valor or Kon-El too)

Martian Manhunter (post crisis)

Darkseid (post crisis)

Bonus: H/P Doomsday.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Choosing Sentry as a yardstick seems like an odd choice given how variable his power levels are and that there are... what... like four distinct versions of Sentry to choose from depending on where in his career you look.

I would have said post-Crisis Orion and J’onn were pretty evenly matched, strength-wise.

Otherwise, this gets very complex, very fast.

Like Nik says, Sentry is kind of all over the place, but I believe current Bob is still rocking that sweet, sweet ‘can-slap-around-guy-who-had-my-old-powers-for-funsies’ upgrade. So he’s pretty up there.

Then you get to the sad, embarrassing shell of a New God that is post-Crisis Darkseid. The guy who couldn’t cope with stairs and hung out on Mary Marvel’s couch. Honestly, I wouldn’t know where to pitch that guy, but let’s just say it’s not his finest incarnation.

The Superboy(s) I wouldn’t have a clue what to do with.

And then H/P Doomsday. Who is very strong, but only in relation to post-Crisis Kryptonians, which Sentry is notably above. Again, context makes this tricky.

BANNED

Ugh! Don't remind me of that cheap miracle man knockoff storyline ducky.

From weakest to strongest-

1: Tie between Orion and J'onn. Close enough at least.

2: Darkseid. Especially early in Post Crisis, the dude had a leg up on the standard Kryptonian level kinda people. He only faded to about their level or (sigh) below perhaps, later in Post Crisis.

3: Doomsday. The guy could absolutely mangle Kryptonians. Like, snap their bones with ease. He also completely flattened Darkseid on one of his GOOD days. He overpowered both J'onn and Orion in 60 seconds. Dude was stronk.

4: This is Superboy Prime, yes? I dunno. I dont WANT to put him above Doomsday, but he does have the whole "shatter 300 mile thick wall Green Lantern construct" thing going for him.

5: Current Sentry is #1 for sure. As Beadle pointed out, he can beat up people rocking his old powers. He also flattened Beta Ray Bill recently and then tore open a lightyears long portal in space with his bare hands.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

If you forced me at gunpoint to choose, definitively, who was the stronger of Orion and J'onn, I guess I would maaaybe go J'onn?

Orion's best feats of strength are usually based on his relative performance against other characters in fights. Whereas Manhunter at least has some shared lifting/pulling feats outside of just slugfests with his peers.

But that's at gunpoint. I'm cool saying they are functionally the same level for Rumbles.
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 07-13-2020 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Fixing grammar so Beadle likes me
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

I disagree with this. Orion has fewer appearances to begin with but otherwise he is presented as Superman's equal and J'onn is not

Orion should be stronger imo although the problem is that most of his fights involve the astro force.

The Pocket universe Superboy channelled the energy of a dimension through his body, he should be above Sentry

The Pocket universe Superboy channelled the energy of a dimension through his body, he should be above Sentry
    When you say things like that, a marvel writer somewhere hears you, and comes up with some new stupid thing to have the Sentry do.

tl:dr the next dumb thing the Sentry inflicts on the world via comics is your fault ;p

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    I disagree with this. Orion has fewer appearances to begin with but otherwise he is presented as Superman's equal and J'onn is not

Orion should be stronger imo although the problem is that most of his fights involve the astro force.

I dont really have any problems saying that Orion has an edge. I dont mind that reasoning. At any rate, it's still pretty close.

Can you expand on the Superboy thing? This is Superboy Prime right?
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    When you say things like that, a marvel writer somewhere hears you, and comes up with some new stupid thing to have the Sentry do.

tl:dr the next dumb thing the Sentry inflicts on the world via comics is your fault ;p
    I like how you used a "tldr" on a short, one sentence response :P
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I like how you used a "tldr" on a short, one sentence response :P
    I am in all things an innovator.

You mean like....?

5: Current Sentry is #1 for sure. As Beadle pointed out, he can beat up people rocking his old powers. He also flattened Beta Ray Bill recently and then tore open a lightyears long portal in space with his bare hands.
    He and Superboy Prime are the only people who can manhandle reality.

Which at the same time manhandles our suspension of disbelief quite roughly, even within the context of comic book nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    I don't know what is happening but I do know I dont like it.
    - big_adventure

I don't know what is happening but I do know I dont like it.
    Which is a pretty on point summary of the Sentry and such as involves him.