Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default In theory, could Shard be resurrected by the Five?

Bishop’s sister.

Fantastic Member

Yea I hope they resurrect her along with all the mutants on Genosha. That should make for some interesting stories

As far as I know she only ever existed as a hologram in the present, so Sinister shouldn't have a DNA sample for her on file

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Someone with more knowledge of the character would need to explain but apparently the Shard that appeared in present day issues of X-Men was always a hologram so there wouldn't have biological data for Sinister to harvest.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

In the Bishop: The Last X-Man series issue #14 that was set far in the future Fitzroy was somehow making her a flesh and blood body. She wound up converting her body back to energy to give Bishop something to shoot at Fitzroy....but his shot went wide and entered one of Fitzroy's portals.

So....my suggestion is that...using comic book logic and physics...she can show up with a real body anytime a writer wants to have her show up.

Just have her show up moments after she went into the portal...bloody stump and all, nearly dead....with a flesh and blood body and have Elixir heal her and regrow her arm. This then gets her brain copied into Cerebro and gets them a DNA sample.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 07-13-2020 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    In the Bishop: The Last X-Man series issue #14 that was set far in the future Fitzroy was somehow making her a flesh and blood body. She wound up converting her body back to energy to give Bishop something to shoot at Fitzroy....but his shot went wide and entered one of Fitzroy's portals.

So....my suggestion is that...using comic book logic and physics...she can show up with a real body anytime a writer wants to have her show up.

Just have her show up moments after she went into the portal...bloody stump and all, nearly dead....with a flesh and blood body and have Elixir heal her and regrow her arm. This then gets her brain copied into Cerebro and gets them a DNA sample.
    I loved Bishop: the Last X-Man so much! If only we could get a nice Complete Collection of the series.

As for Shard specifically, count me as another that would be excited for her return. And this is comics: it could be done in a ham-fisted manner, but her return could also be coherent and even compelling if done well. Just depends on the creative team.

As Ive mentioned elsewhere, I've wanted a book featuring Synch, Darwin, and Laura since we saw them work together to infiltrate the Children of the Vault. I think Shard would make an awesome addition to such a team of compelling oddballs.

-Pav, who also imagines either Shatterstar or Spiral on the team...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post

The beauty of comic science is that anything is possible.

Monica Rambeau converts her sentience and DNA into energy/particles of electromagnetic energy, including photons of light, all of the time. Whose to say that Shard didn't do something similar in your above example?

We could further establish using basic principles of physics that Bishop didn't absorb and expel 100% of Shard when he tried to blast Fitz. From a science standpoint, that wouldn't be possible anyway. Think of someone taking a shot of vodka, albeit without swallowing, only to spit it out. Did 100% of the vodka get expectorated? Of course not. There's still evidence of it on your lips, teeth, tongue, taste buds, gums, etc. The taste is very much still in your mouth, as is the scent. Further, human biology oft betrays us. Once it's in your mouth, you'd be surprised what gets absorbed into your system. Bishop can't expel 100% of the energy that he absorbs, so it's always possible that Shard (sentience and DNA) still exists inside of him, even if it's only as the most basic of electrical impulses.

If I was Bishop, I'd invite over Dr. Adam Brashear and Monica Rambeau -- two applied photon particle conversion experts, if there ever was such a thing -- and see about restoring my sister as a being of pure light. Maybe throw in a little twist that in order to avoid blinking out of existence again, Shard has to consume matter constantly. Organic matter. Inorganic matter. It doesn't matter. Hell, she can eat Kitty in mid-phase, if she wanted to. Anything to keep it interesting.

But in the end it all comes back to what the writers want.

If they don't have a biological sample from her, no. And I'm not sure that the way to computerize her is compatible with what Xavier does.

She absolutely could and should. They just have to explain that the technology used in the future to store her mind was/will be the same Xavier is using in the present to do it. Then show a flashback of her giving Bishop an up until now unseen memento (contaminated unknowingly with her DNA) and presto.
    But you would need to have Bishop asking it as a favor, to Hope of all people, because it is not standard procedure. That would be fun.

No, as others said she was a hologram. Cerebro shouldnt have a backup of her, nor should there be any DNA sample

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    She absolutely could and should. They just have to explain that the technology used in the future to store her mind was/will be the same Xavier is using in the present to do it. Then show a flashback of her giving Bishop an up until now unseen memento (contaminated unknowingly with her DNA) and presto.
    But you would need to have Bishop asking it as a favor, to Hope of all people, because it is not standard procedure. That would be fun.
    She can be brought back by other means but not the Resurrection Protocols set up on Krakoa. Like I mention above, they lack the two main components needed for her. . Considering she was a hologram, I dont see why another hologram cant be made of her and possibly given a cybernetic body