Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Rogue and Gambit #4 Discussion (Spoilers!)

Synopsis:
    We open with Rogue and Gambit awaking to find themselves strapped to tables again much like they were at the end of issue #1. Rogue distracts their captor, Lavish, with humourous banter while Gambit uses his lockpick to free a hand.

Lavish reveals her ability to pull powers/memories/emotions out of mutants and into golem clones for storage. She attempts to drain our heros completely, but Gambit smashes her in the face with a kinetic energy punch from his freed hand. He frees himself and Rogue, while Lavish demonstrates how she absorbs the golem clone of another mutant to heal her injury. She orders the Rogue and Gambit golem clones to attack a very weakened real Rogue and Gambit as they attempt to escape.

Gambit shoves a charged card into the mouth of an attacking Rogue golem, who blows up and implants her released powers/memories/emotions into Gambit.

This pulls Remy into a flashback from Scott and Jean's wedding from the garter toss incident and shows a new scene where he takes Rogue off for a private moment to put the garter on her (which is super hot btw), but he experiences her thoughts and feelings about him - her love and doubts, wondering if he would break her heart, would ever be able to commit to her - and he is hit hard by the emotions.

Shortly after, Rogue smashes a Gambit golem and the same thing happens to her, pulling her into Gambit's memory and feelings from a Danger room scene following the Gambit solo from 2012, where Gambit is cathartically kicking Avengers butts and Rogue walks in. He reflects on his love for her, but also his deep hurt over her lack of trust and respect, wondering if they still have a future. Rogue has a strong emotional reaction to learning this.

Now Gambit and Rogue have swapped powers from the absorbed golems, shown by their switched eye colors. They have a pretty sweet fight scene with the other golem clones with their swapped powers, but ultimately need to regroup. They snag a passsed out Dr. Grand and barricade themselves in an office.

They talk briefly about experiencing each others thoughts and feelings and realise they must destroy their own golems in painful fashion to regain their own powers, but will get their memories, fears, pain, and negative emotions back as well. They realize that they may lose their current happiness together when they get all this back and take a moment to reflect on this. Ultimately they know they must go forward, but share a tender moment hoping they can hold on to remembering how it was to be happy together.

They rise and prepare to face down the golems, who have nearly broken into the office, and greet the challenge with renewed vigor and a sense of humor.

You made this sound legit great. Kudos to your write-up and to KT for writing this issue.
    Last edited by Criticalfan; 04-04-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Awesome review!

These two flashbacks were the best in my opinion. I love love LOVE how they both came out of the memory swap crying; Rogue because she realized how much her lack of trust and respect for Remy had really hurt him, and Remy because he never realized how much Rogue really loved him even though she was very well aware of the possible bad signs of being with him, and how most of that is attributed to her own insecurities. I think the whole thing was done super well, and giving them the chance to literally see from the perspective of the other is a great step forward into healing old wounds.

Another strong issue, action-packed (Perez draws action very well) but also a lot of very emotional moments. I especially loved Scott and Jean's wedding flashback, but I think the 1st page and the last 2 pages were the highlights for me.

This was a fun, action-packed, yet very emotional issue. It felt more "mature" and "serious" than the others perhaps, especially with the themes brought up in it. The art is wonderful and captures the chemistry between the two leads perfectly. All in all, this series continues to be good and to impress. I'm sad that this is the penultimate issue, and I really hope KT will get to write these two again.

Reread it three times already.
    Wow as great as previous issue! So emotional, actioned packed and beautiful. Great issue. So sad that only 1 issue is left of that awesome book.

There are so many details in art and dialouges here. This issue is a masterpiece.

Also I loved that Gambit kicked Cap`s ass in this. Well, he wasn`t real but I enjoyed it!!!

Thank you, Kelly Thompson!

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

This issue does make me wonder why aren't Gambit and Rogue the ones being hitched.Their pairing has interest that Kitty and Piotr's.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Spectacular Member

Loved this issue. If I have to describe this series with one word, the strongest word for me would be "Meaningful". It is an oasis for me in this age of meaningless comics and events.

BANNED

Among the best things about this series is the writer always choosing to extend a moment from the past. Cyclops and Jean's wedding, I remember Rogue and Gambit dancing and holding hands only. KT adding some flirting moments of Gambit putting Jean's garter on Rogue thighs was creatively smooth on her part. The Rogue and Gambit romance is the second romance I am enjoying currently in comics after Bat and Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
    Among the best things about this series is the writer always choosing to extend a moment from the past. Cyclops and Jean's wedding, I remember Rogue and Gambit dancing and holding hands only. KT adding some flirting moments of Gambit putting Jean's garter on Rogue thighs was creatively smooth on her part. The Rogue and Gambit romance is the second romance I am enjoying currently in comics after Bat and Cat.
    Yeah. Flashbacks added a lot for this mini. I love that it is Romy deep and more then kust fun adventures.

BANNED

Too convenient

There was so much to love about this issue. I really like the reference back to Cyclops and Jean's wedding. I loved how they swapped powers towards the end. It connected nicely with the past to make the present more meaningful. It does so many things right while throwing in plenty of action, as well. Honestly, what's not to love?
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

By absorbing each other golems, does that now mean that Rogue is part of Gambit now and Gambit is part of Rogue now?

Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

I really hope that Marvel don't put this relationship back on ice after the mini. KT has done such a great job proving that these two characters don't have to be poison to each other. An angst free Rogue & Gambit dynamic would enhance any X-Book in my opinion.
    L'Enfer !

BANNED

I REALLY loved this issue, very touching I thought. Their Dynamic is just perfect I also like the bit of Rogue making jokes while she is about to have her Life Force absorbed.