Thread: Buffy Comics

Default Buffy Comics

Has anyone read the new Buffy comics reboot? I'm a huge fan of the TV show (and Angel spinoff) and I was wondering how the new comics compare.

Both are decent but Buffy's book is a little stronger than Angel's at the moment. Angel and Buffy were in seperate locations and hadn't met yet. I wished they waited more before having them meet in a crossover. As Angel's role in the recent "Hellmouth" crossover felt tacked on and unnecesary.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-13-2020 at 09:43 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Has anyone read the new Buffy comics reboot? I'm a huge fan of the TV show (and Angel spinoff) and I was wondering how the new comics compare.
    The change of artists in Buffy from issue 5 onwards is horrible (as most will tell you). The characters arent that well written as well.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I tried. The Buffy book started ok. A little oddly paced, and it rushed through character beats in strange ways. But the art really takes a nosedive after the first arc, and the story follows it right off a cliff into the Angel crossover. I quit there, so no clue if it's improved since.

The Angel book started quite strong. A different voice for the major players, but they all made sense in their own way. Sadly, this book also got dragged into crossover land, and it completely lost all momentum or sense of purpose. The stuff with Spike was at least interesting and perhaps novel, but ultimately couldn't hold my interest. I have since dropped this as well.

Frankly? These are a cash grab. Poorly done, ill thought out stories that don't work if you don't have a connection to the characters already from the show. In which case you're just better off rewatching your old favorite episodes to revisit them. There are no stakes, because none of the characters matter beyond being props in the nostalgia trip. There is no tension, because the writers don't establish any pace or flow. Things happen, because they have to, but those things don't flow from what we've established already they just happen because.

I do think there is a market for a solid, well though out reimagining of these characters and this world. I think there are some ideas introduced in these books that could have been interesting if the writers were up to actually exploring them instead of just hurling them out willy nilly to sound cool. And, though I've abandoned both, I do think there is potential to save both books if the quality of the writing improves (well, Buffy needs a new artist ASAP as well, but that's a lot more subjective). There's the nugget of something that could be really fun, and both refreshing to the franchise while being exciting to readers. But they aren't that, at least not yet.

I liked issue 13 of Angel. Its a period piece set in the 50s and i wish they did more of that.

I'm not digging Buffy that much. It feels too much like a rehash of the show.