View Poll Results: How do you feel about Polyamory in the X-books?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly Approve - Yes, Please!

112 43.58%
  • Neutral - Polyamory is fine, but doesn't seem to fit established characters / relationships.

98 38.13%
  • Strongly Disapprove - Keep it away from my books!

47 18.29%
Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I don't know...pillars they may be but...

Scott has slept with Jean and with Emma before. And although this is the first time in 616 canon that Jean has slept with Logan...we all know of their long-standing mutual attraction.

Rogue and Gambit. Kate and Piotr. Storm and Forge. Warren and Betsy. While the romances were the melodramatic centrepieces of Claremont's (and some others) X-Men, it really does not read as important compared to everything else that's going on during this run, so far.

Sinister has the right of it, I think. It's a titillating bit of gossip, not the front-page news.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That might be asking a bit much.
    This is not a story centred around the validation and legitimisation of Polyamory. At best, the relationship between the four is but a tertiary sub-plot that has very little import/impact on the main plot: Mutants Rising and Excelling in their Power.

It's the most fekkin' interesting sub-plot, we've had in years...I'll give you that.
    LOL! Fair enough! I wasn't only referencing the poly aspect (in my head when I wrote that at least), but all sorts of things that have been 'divisive' in the HiX era. I think there are those who 'get' what they are going for (even the use of the Data Pages, or the politics, or the sexuality, or whatever) whether we really, personally, like it or not, and are willing to give it all a shot because it is exciting and fresh... and those who seem to lose their $&!^ every time a new issue comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That might be asking a bit much.
    This is not a story centred around the validation and legitimisation of Polyamory. At best, the relationship between the four is but a tertiary sub-plot that has very little import/impact on the main plot: Mutants Rising and Excelling in their Power.

It's the most fekkin' interesting sub-plot, we've had in years...I'll give you that.
    Yes, I believe that the whole poly scenario was almost an afterthought to Hickman, something that he probably must have added because he thought it was cool or because he didn't wanted to deal with a love triangle.

I also think that unless they make it text what is happening, is almost certain that it will be retconned in the future. Maybe that's their plan anyway.

Fantastic Member

maybe she isn't really Jean but Madelyne Pryor who's gonna appear on Hellions

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I feel like its pretty clever . What other solutions would you propose ?
    I would agree that's it's clever. But for me it's completely surface value. As of now, I think the Jean/Logan romance is benefiting the most in terms of a "new dynamic", but that could have happened without a polyamory relationship. Maybe there's more to come to develop everything, but unless all aspects are explored in the dynamic, I feel like there'd be lost potential.

As for other suggestions, that's a bit tough I'll admit. The end goal of the story and the "new" romance are important factors in my opinion in considering where the characters are meant to be when certain events take place. It seems that the underlying theme is that they all have a paradise of their own and that consists of being surrounded by the ones they love. I feel like this could have offered a chance to explore what each X-man's "paradise" is to them. There was also an opportunity to just start from the ground up. How would they behave just being friends? Who else could they have considered for relationships. Immortality means they don't necessarily need to settle right away. Either way those are just random thoughts. What they are doing now, isn't necessarily a bad idea, I just disagree with its execution and development for these characters.

I don't want to ramble and spend too much time on this topic, but I am wondering if the destruction of this relationship will be more important than its creation? That would certainly explain it's lack of focus.

That being said, hopefully nothing I wrote will take away from anyone's current enjoyment as that's not my intention.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 07-13-2020 at 10:15 PM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I feel like its pretty clever . What other solutions would you propose ?
    Scott with Jean, Logan with Mariko, Emma with Sean.

BANNED

The best solution is to let go of the nostalgia and do Jean/Logan and Emma/Namor. Chemistry, fire, dynamics.

The polyamory comes out of sheer will to not let Jott die, for some reason. Complicating a problem that already has an easy fix. Lol
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 07-13-2020 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You don't think the Avengers aren't having constant hookups and sexually charged bromances :P?
    When were the Avengers known for their romantic entanglements?? There were important things that happened in those relationships but they were always serious relationships. X-Men always played fast and loose with sexuality and the subtext between lots of X-characters with others.

Yeah, I've been reading the thread .
    where’s the disconnect

That...doesn't seem to be that big a distinction.
    idk man ://

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Scott with Jean, Logan with Mariko, Emma with Sean.
    But Scott is still with Logan. Logan could still get with Mariko, and we all kno Emma f*cks redheads
    Last edited by Tycon; 07-13-2020 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Why would mutants that can live forever in the prime of their lives want to settle for monogamy. How doesn't it make sense for Scogean (+Emma) when they've passed each other around for years.
    exactly this ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The best solution is to let go of the nostalgia and do Jean/Logan and Emma/Namor. Chemistry, fire, dynamics.

The polyamory comes out of sheer will to not let Jott die, for some reason. Complicating a problem that already has an easy fix. Lol
    I've said it before, but we should get EmmaxNamor and a Krakoa/Atlantis alliance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    They barely acknowledge gay people so I can see Disney going the “b-but the children will be confused ” route.

Polyamory is just the act of having multiple, consensual partners. All parties don’t have to be involved but they can be. But even if Scogan wasn’t happening, Cyclops still has a pretty casual relationship with Emma.
    Disney reguarly gets into trouble because they showed something certain people call "not normal".
    The last time was as far as I know after a cartoon showing gay couples in the background.
    So them doing this in a cartoon outright saying it is not really possible.
    Not that other would do it either.
    I mean Fox did not show Mystique living together with Destiny in the movies either.

And I must say that they did this in a comic that gets so much publicity still surprises me.
    Secret Six could get away with it because it was a little comic ending its run.
    Personally I am glad that they show different lifestyles that are existing in the real world.

Funny that I finished a book today that showed it too. Are we getting a trend^^?
    "Polyamory is just the act of having multiple, consensual partners"

True, it does not have to be like a couple just with more partners.

And we really need a like button^^
    Last edited by lowfyr; 07-14-2020 at 06:05 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I've said it before, but we should get EmmaxNamor and a Krakoa/Atlantis alliance.
    He's already Krakoan, but yes!

The Stark thing is wack, btw. Emma and Namor would be hot fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    He's already Krakoan, but yes!

The Stark thing is wack, btw. Emma and Namor would be hot fire.
    Oh yeah he's Krakoan, but he didn't seem to like it so maybe a marriage could be the thing to bring him on board.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    One could argue that’s even more reason for a different approach, no?
    They've tried different approaches before, it ends badly. There's no reason this won't end the same. Not everyone is outside rehabilitation, but many of them need a complete personality brain wipe to even begin being completely safe around other people.

Incredible Member

So I am trans and have MANY poly friends and I want to say thank you to those that are open minded on this thread. Does shock me that fans of xmen, a comic written to represent minorities, are so closed minded on this thread. Poly relationships for every character is not good but for some yes. I want my comics to be reflective of real life to a degree. That means minority representation, but also not a completely minority cast a good mix. Otherwise it is very shoehornEd in. Same with sexuality and gender and relationships. Make it reflective of real life. Not everyone is a poly person but some should be represented because it does exist on real life