View Poll Results: How do you feel about Polyamory in the X-books?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly Approve - Yes, Please!

112 43.58%
  • Neutral - Polyamory is fine, but doesn't seem to fit established characters / relationships.

98 38.13%
  • Strongly Disapprove - Keep it away from my books!

47 18.29%
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by bell View Post
    Give me a polyamory relationship and keep it always. Don't try to sell me a comic today and slap me tomorrow saying your fav character now is no longer representing your way of life it was all a AU or something else.
    But where does one draw the line? When Scott and Jean were first introduced, they were not dating. Then they were. That was a change. Should they have remained celibate forever, because they weren't introduced as a couple?

Ditto Rogue and Remy, or Kitty and Piotr. None of them introduced as couples. Should they remain eternal virgins, because 'don't change mah characters?'

There's always going to be a first time. And when that first time happens, whether it's with the opposite sex, the same sex, a couple of people or an alien egg-laying bird-lady space-princess, *it's going to be out of character,* because that particular character didn't have an established history of dating alien egg-laying bird-lady space-princesses.

Oh no, Xavier doesn't have a history of dating alien bird-ladies! It's totally out of character! They sprang it out of nowhere on us and shoved it in our faces! Couldn't they have made a new character who was dating an alien-bird-lady, instead of shoehorning this onto Charles?

Really, where is the line to be drawn. At what point in a character's life can they no longer grow or change or evolve or try new things?

I don't see Rachel and Cable caring. Cable is even dating all the cuckoos afaik. Rachel, well, she might find it a bit weird, but I think more than anything she's just happy that her parents are both together again and that she's living and spending time with them in a way she never did before. Compared to the Scemma era, there's nothing to be upset.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bell View Post
    Give me a polyamory relationship and keep it always. Dont try to sell me a comic today and slap me tomorrow saying your fav character now is no longer representing your way of life it was all a AU or something else. If they had written new characters and make them be in a polyamory relationship i would be over the moon. At this point they would bs me with Cyclops try this but it was not for him.

DC gave me The Superman I always wanted with New 52 then kick me and said nope he is not real. I drop all Sups book when new 52 ended and have not pick one seen then. Same stuff going to happen with x men if they make Cyclops into a having a monogamous relationship and they drop that he is not in a open one.
    Ok.

So you seem to be in the camp of maintaining consistency by keeping certain aspects of established characters essentially immutable.
    For instance, if a writer wanted to tell L.G.B.T. stories, you'd have them use established L.G.B.T. characters, or create new ones, rather than transitioning a character into being L.G.B.T. in order to tell those stories.

That about right?

Has there every been a story that included a transition that you thought was well-handled? Or is that you always feel slightly bamboozled by the change?
    Like it's not the same character you connected with?
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    But where does one draw the line? When Scott and Jean were first introduced, they were not dating. Then they were. That was a change. Should they have remained celibate forever, because they weren't introduced as a couple?

Ditto Rogue and Remy, or Kitty and Piotr. None of them introduced as couples. Should they remain eternal virgins, because 'don't change mah characters?'

There's always going to be a first time. And when that first time happens, whether it's with the opposite sex, the same sex, a couple of people or an alien egg-laying bird-lady space-princess, *it's going to be out of character,* because that particular character didn't have an established history of dating alien egg-laying bird-lady space-princesses.

Oh no, Xavier doesn't have a history of dating alien bird-ladies! It's totally out of character! They sprang it out of nowhere on us and shoved it in our faces! Couldn't they have made a new character who was dating an alien-bird-lady, instead of shoehorning this onto Charles?

Really, where is the line to be drawn. At what point in a character's life can they no longer grow or change or evolve or try new things?
    That's the whole point when a character starts out single and then likes another character.Say Scott likes Jean,but Emma knows he likes Jean but can't help liking Scott as well all that build up is natural and normal.In the comic you can infer or be told directly or by panel gossip why he is with Jean and not with Emma and so for any relationship..On Krakoa you just wake up into this reality Jean likes Emma,Jean Likes Scott,Jean likes Logan and they all share the bedroom! How does one go from A to E without the in-between?

What Should Be An Additional Poll Option:

"It's The Least Interesting Aspect Of The Current Run..."
    Last edited by numberthirty; 07-13-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't see Rachel and Cable caring. Cable is even dating all the cuckoos afaik. Rachel, well, she might find it a bit weird, but I think more than anything she's just happy that her parents are both together again and that she's living and spending time with them in a way she never did before. Compared to the Scemma era, there's nothing to be upset.
    Agreed.

They're both from distant alternate futures where polyamory might be normal or not as controversial. They're not like other human children. When you think on it, they're not like other mutant children.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    What Should Be An Additional Poll Option:

"It's The Least Interesting Aspect Of The Current Run...
    And yet the most talked about. Weird contradiction.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Agreed.

They're both from distant alternate futures where polyamory might be normal or not as controversial. They're not like other human children. When you think on it, they're not like other mutant children.
    Anybody else find it funny that Cable is copying Cyclops and the Cuckoos are copying Emma in their own junior poly relationship.

Maybe Rachel/Daken will be in X-Factor. Or at least, they’ll talk about their parents poly relationship.

Agreed.

Rachel isnt from a distant alternate future. Her future is fairly contemporary to the mainline one. As far as Cable, he was raisied by a monagamous married couple for 12 years so that should have had a profound effect on his view on relationships considering he is only a few years removed from that. With that said, I dont think Rachel will really care but Cable should have more feelings about it. He really seemed to hate Emma when he talked about her to Scott in the UXM annual so if Scott is back with Emma, it would feel odd for Nate to not feel a way about that

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    If Cardinal Nightcrawler does not disapprove, then it isn’t immoral in the mutant religion.
    This Cardinal is the one who said make more mutants-devil be damned! I think he'll have a clause the peasants can be monogamous but the captains and nobility well 4 legs good 2 legs better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

lol nahhh getting from point A to point B is not the same as representing group A or group B.
    I am in a open relationship and saying my hero when from one to the other and now he is going back because it was not for him is going to have a few mix lingering resentment. In a way more then you know it be my fav character adding to all the bs I had to put up with because I live my life that way.

I said I would new character to represent that way of life then having my fav character make a joke of what I am.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Rachel isnt from a distant alternate future. Her future is fairly contemporary to the mainline one. As far as Cable, he was raisied by a monagamous married couple for 12 years so that should have had a profound effect on his view on relationships considering he is only a few years removed from that. With that said, I dont think Rachel will really care but Cable should have more feelings about it. He really seemed to hate Emma when he talked about her to Scott in the UXM annual so if Scott is back with Emma, it would feel odd for Nate to not feel a way about that
    Rachel's present wasn't our 616 future. It may have been contemporary but she was sent back to the wrong timeline.

That issue with Cable is a mess really, as he killed his future/past "old" Cable who was raised by Scott and Jean...so...if you're doing all kinds of time-jumping shenanigans your parents being in an unconventional relationship is not going to look too strange...besides, they're still together just not with each other, only.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-13-2020 at 01:54 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Rachel's present wasn't our 616 future. It may have been contemporary but she was sent back to the wrong timeline.

That issue with Cable is a mess really, as he killed his future/past "old" Cable who was raised by Scott and Jean...so...if you're doing all kinds of time-jumping shenanigans your parents being in an unconventional relationship is not going to look too strange.
    No its not 616 but it also isnt far in the future. She came from a time thats now like 10 years ahead of where 616 is. Polyamory being widely acceptable as a thing in her time is unlikely to have occurred in that time especially with the bulk of mutants slaughtered and from we've seen of that, even she was in a monagmous relationship with someone.

Why would mutants that can live forever in the prime of their lives want to settle for monogamy. How doesn't it make sense for Scogean (+Emma) when they've passed each other around for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No its not 616 but it also isnt far in the future. She came from a time thats now like 10 years ahead of where 616 is. Polyamory being widely acceptable as a thing in her time is unlikely to have occurred in that time especially with the bulk of mutants slaughtered and from we've seen of that, even she was in a monagmous relationship with someone.
    See, I would think that being in a prolonged period of conflict might make polyamory relationships actually more common in their respective timelines. Both of them. Cable's perhaps more likely because you basically had a war going on against the High Lords of New Canaan/the New Canaanites which had been raging for quite some time. You have to think they'd lost entire generations almost in terms of fertile aged men especially, but also women. So in my mind they might've been poly just to try to keep their numbers up. I have nothing to support this. No evidence or anything. Just a theory that it's possible and logical. That's all.