View Poll Results: How do you feel about Polyamory in the X-books?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly Approve - Yes, Please!

112 43.58%
  • Neutral - Polyamory is fine, but doesn't seem to fit established characters / relationships.

98 38.13%
  • Strongly Disapprove - Keep it away from my books!

47 18.29%
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    This response doesn't make any sense
    Lol the way Krakoa operates we could have Logan's mind waking up in Emma's body and screwing Jean's mind put into Logan's body.Sinister's and Xavier's idea of fun... I mean it's possible, but would it make sense?
    Last edited by Rev9; 07-14-2020 at 03:17 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    When were the Avengers known for their romantic entanglements?? There were important things that happened in those relationships but they were always serious relationships.
    Eh. Wanda + Vision. Wanda + Simon. Wanda + Hawkeye. Wanda + Voodoo. Hawkeye + Black Widow. Black Widow + Daredevil. Hawkeye + Mockingbird. Wasp + Pym. Wasp + Stark. Pym + Jocasta. Pym + Tigra.

There's been a ton of bed-hopping in Avenger's mansion. And don't even get me started on Johnny Storm's love life, over at Four Freedom Plaza...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Eh. Wanda + Vision. Wanda + Simon. Wanda + Hawkeye. Wanda + Voodoo. Hawkeye + Black Widow. Black Widow + Daredevil. Hawkeye + Mockingbird. Wasp + Pym. Wasp + Stark. Pym + Jocasta. Pym + Tigra.

There's been a ton of bed-hopping in Avenger's mansion. And don't even get me started on Johnny Storm's love life, over at Four Freedom Plaza...
    Doombot.

That was decades ago, long before Daredevil joined the Avengers.

When they were villains.

That Pym was a Skrull.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Doombot.

That was decades ago, long before Daredevil joined the Avengers.

When they were villains.

That Pym was a Skrull.
    Later she slept with the real Pym though, in Avengers Academy.

The rest still count (even the Doombot, because their was still an Avenger involved, Hawkeye). Which reminds me. Hawkeye + Moonstone. Dude sticks his arrows everywhere!

And the point is, the X-Men are hardly the only peeps having gone through multiple partners, and had their share of relationship drama, in the Marvel Universe.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 07-14-2020 at 05:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Later she slept with the real Pym though, in Avengers Academy.

The rest still count (even the Doombot, because their was still an Avenger involved, Hawkeye). Which reminds me. Hawkeye + Moonstone. Dude sticks his arrows everywhere!

And the point is, the X-Men are hardly the only peeps having gone through multiple partners, and had their share of relationship drama, in the Marvel Universe.
    Ok, that changes things. The Doombot was Wanda, however, not the actual Wanda. That he'd does, I can see why Moonstone is difficult to resist but she's Moonstone.

Definitely.

Extraordinary Member

Do we know the room arrangements in the Sextant?

Are the Five all shagging each other?

How are the New Mutants rooms set up?

What about the New X-men’s rooms?

Just what are Laura/Darwin/Synch doing with their free time?

These are the poly questions I have.

I'm not personally into polyamory, but I think this is an interesting twist to the grueling, tired love square between Emma/Jean/Scott/Logan and is kind of a cool idea for a newly liberated 'mutant culture'.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Well, the responses have been very interesting.

We have people who:

1. Like Polyamory, and are excited to read about it in the X-books
    2. Are Okay with Polyamory, but don't want to read about romantic relationships in their books
    3. Are Okay with Polyamory, but have problems with the challenges it brings to the cast & narrative (using established characters vs. new; underdeveloped or skipped transitions clashing with established lore, etc.)
    4. Don't like Polyamory - FULL STOP

I expected a lot of responses to be...for lack of a better word, prejudiced against Polyamory as a concept (and I was not disappointed).
    But, I was heartened to hear that, for many, it's just narrative preferences, and for some, good ol' fashioned fanboy possessiveness.

(Of which, I have been guilty of too).

Probably the most interesting take, which I actually hadn't even considered, was someone hinting that their disapproval of polyamory for established monogamous characters is because the cyclical nature of Superhero comics means that eventually there will be a return to the status quo (monogamy). This means that rather than it being a profound character change, the adoption of polyamory would be more akin to wearing a hat, that they would then take off when enough time passed and people grew bored.

I may not agree with this assessment, but that is a very valid concern.
    When it comes to gender and sexuality, where there is fluidity for some but not others, that is something to keep in mind when writing and consuming these stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    When will folks learn poll choices are easier to choose when it’s less specific. I approve but I don’t “strongly approve.” Also people can be neutral without it having anything to do with “existing character development to date.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    I agree about the poll.

I meant for stances like these to be broadly covered by the “Approval” option.
    I shouldn’t have included the word “Strongly” if I wasn’t going to have mid-options in between Neutral and Dis/Agree.

Thanks!
    Literally on the first page.
    Also, other people were able to raise their objections/frustrations about the poll without sounding condescending.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The best solution is to let go of the nostalgia and do Jean/Logan and Emma/Namor. Chemistry, fire, dynamics.
    The polyamory comes out of sheer will to not let Jott die, for some reason. Complicating a problem that already has an easy fix. Lol
    That you would invoke letting go of nostalgia while advocating for Jogan...
    I chuckled.
    Last edited by Striderblack01; 07-14-2020 at 06:15 AM.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    LOL! Fair enough! I wasn't only referencing the poly aspect (in my head when I wrote that at least), but all sorts of things that have been 'divisive' in the HiX era. I think there are those who 'get' what they are going for (even the use of the Data Pages, or the politics, or the sexuality, or whatever) whether we really, personally, like it or not, and are willing to give it all a shot because it is exciting and fresh... and those who seem to lose their $&!^ every time a new issue comes out.
    LOL...sorry.
    My response was not to you but to Grey who spoke on the X-Men as a vehicle to validate and legitimise polyamory.
    I should have quoted his post.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Thinking about it further: for a quartet who have issues with fidelity, polyamory could really be a great solution for them. Not everyone has it in them to be monogamous. I don't think it could ever work for me...but this makes a lot of sense for them and I don't see the harm.

Ghost of the Stratosphere Not BAMF's Avatar

I'm somewhere between Strongly Approve and Neutral.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

In the future, I strongly suspect the people saying you shouldn't have poly relationships will be remembered as fondly as the people 30 years ago saying you shouldn't have gay romances or the people 30 before that saying you haven't interracial romances in fiction.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Not BAMF View Post
    I'm somewhere between Strongly Approve and Neutral.
    Strongly Neutral! I don't care very much, but I do so passionately and am willing to fight about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I'm not personally into polyamory, but I think this is an interesting twist to the grueling, tired love square between Emma/Jean/Scott/Logan and is kind of a cool idea for a newly liberated 'mutant culture'.
    Same, Spinny. Same.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Do we know the room arrangements in the Sextant?
    How are the New Mutants rooms set up?
    They got rid of the doors to their bedrooms, because no matter what, *somebody's* gonna wake up with Rahne snuggled up at the foot of their bed. But it's not a sex thing.

(Usually Dani. Never Ilyanna (who usually sleeps in Limbo anyway). Or Doug, oddly. There might be some residual guilt there...)