View Poll Results: How do you feel about Polyamory in the X-books?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly Approve - Yes, Please!

112 43.58%
  • Neutral - Polyamory is fine, but doesn't seem to fit established characters / relationships.

98 38.13%
  • Strongly Disapprove - Keep it away from my books!

47 18.29%
Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Well, as the term “people of color” has been used, at the beginning, by the ‘whites’ to qualify those who are not ‘white’, it seems to me that it is an appellation that is in the eye of the beholder.
    They're also a blank slate, we can't confirm what ethnicity they are. Personally, I count Apocalypse as an Egyptian since we do know he was born there, as shown in the Rise of Apocalypse mini-series.

On topic, I think this polyamory thing is a red herring that adds nothing substantially to the story: this run is not about relationships and soap drama. It’s just food for thought. A spicy ingredient.
    Sex sells, romance is very popular with X-fans since they like the drama and couples getting together. Hickman may be going somewhere with this, as mutants breeding was emphasised as a priority for Krakoa from the founding. Maybe this is the honeymoon period before everyone gets pregnant?

Astonishing Member

Well, as the term “people of color” has been used, at the beginning, by the ‘whites’ to qualify those who are not ‘white’, it seems to me that it is an appellation that is in the eye of the beholder.

On topic, I think this polyamory thing is a red herring that adds nothing substantially to the story: this run is not about relationships and soap drama. It’s just food for thought. A spicy ingredient.

Agree, it's just added as a defining culture characteristic on Krakoa like their Krakoan language ,sure it seems interesting but Krakoans having their own language doesn't add anything to the story itself because for example in international fora mutants have not used their language but speak English or resort to telepathy instead of language when they don't want eavesdropping

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    They're also a blank slate, we can't confirm what ethnicity they are. Personally, I count Apocalypse as an Egyptian since we do know he was born there, as shown in the Rise of Apocalypse mini-series.

Sex sells, romance is very popular with X-fans since they like the drama and couples getting together. Hickman may be going somewhere with this, as mutants breeding was emphasised as a priority for Krakoa from the founding. Maybe this is the honeymoon period before everyone gets pregnant?
    I am honestly yet to be impressed with a romantic polyamory story.How do you tell one? ...'Look here Jean ,you shouldn't doubt your place in my heart, I said I'd be back Wednesday but our mission with Logan and Emma took till Friday to complete,it was just Emma and Logan and I,Frenzy wasn't there... I'll make it up to you this weekend it's just the two of us'

Ah the tension....
    Last edited by Rev9; 07-14-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I always had this strange feeling for years that Raven was Roma/Romani. So Kurt is part whatever Azazel is (probably Persian or Arab) and part gypsy
    It would fit the notion that 'Kurt is a Romani,' when, really, we have no idea what he is, only that he was raised by Roma, if Raven was also a Roma, and that Kurt maybe didn't end up with Margali's troupe by accident... (Although I'd prefer that Kurt not *actually* be related to the clan, as in, Raven and Margali being revealed to be sisters or something, because that would make Amanda/Jimaine for realz his blood relative, and, ugh, I do not want to go there...)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Can you imagine Charles and Erik bragging.

Charles: I got Raven!
    Erik: Well, I got her daughter Rogue!

*high fives*
    Yeahhh the only way I can see this happening if Charles and Erik were both pegged

As for Nightcrawler.... hasn't he been in a story where his XGene was shut off and he appears "normal"
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Yeahhh the only way I can see this happening if Charles and Erik were both pegged

As for Nightcrawler.... hasn't he been in a story where his XGene was shut off and he appears "normal"
    We've seen him without powers a few times over the years.

He looks like this.

Spectacular Member Ruby Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

He looks like this.

That could just be a case of Marvitiligo. You know, the spontaneous lightening of skin that sometimes happens in Marvel comics. Monet St. Croix and Bobby da Costa have both had it several times. It's usually temporary

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Summers View Post
    That could just be a case of Marvitiligo. You know, the spontaneous lightening of skin that sometimes happens in Marvel comics. Monet St. Croix and Bobby da Costa have both had it several times. It's usually temporary
    Marvitilgo! Must remember that one. He’s cuter blue.
    Justicer Cadbury is Kurt with caucasian skin.
    EDE2404F-1DEA-482B-96D1-6F8164C525D2.jpg

I’ve always assumed his ethnicity was Romany, Eastern European. Sharp face, aquiline nose and all that.
    Some Romany are dark skinned, but by no means all.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I voted no. It's an especially hard no now that I seen what an open marriage has done to will smith and Jadas son Jaden. You can see how bad that messed up that kid. I think people who vote for it probably think about it in terms of the characters and don't care what kind of long lasting fucked up mental issues it causes to group dynamics. SOMEONE ALWAYS CATCHES FEELINGS AND DESTROYS THE WHOLE GROUP DYNAMIC.
    Sound like you have experience

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

He looks like this.

Blue for me too. Comic artists are better inspired by his natural appearance…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Summers View Post
    Nah, that's him without his powers. You'll also note Marrow without any bones sticking out of her and Beat (the guy in the front) doesn't have any fur either.

Kinda weird that the others loose their physical mutations and Rogue keeps the stripe in her hair though. Maybe she's been dying it this whole time.

I voted no. It's an especially hard no now that I seen what an open marriage has done to will smith and Jadas son Jaden. You can see how bad that messed up that kid. I think people who vote for it probably think about it in terms of the characters and don't care what kind of long lasting fucked up mental issues it causes to group dynamics. SOMEONE ALWAYS CATCHES FEELINGS AND DESTROYS THE WHOLE GROUP DYNAMIC.
    Lol open marriages do NOT cause Veganism lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Lol open marriages do NOT cause Veganism lol
    BWAH-HA-HA!!!

Thanks for the laugh! I needed that right now! LOL!

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

So.

There's been a lot of conflating between polyamory and open relationships.
    For the uninitiated (myself included):

Quote Originally Posted by Claire J. Vannette
    Polyamory means having multiple romantic relationships at the same time, with the knowledge and consent of everyone involved.
    An open relationship is a relationship where the parties are free to take new partners.
    The terms both fall under the heading of "ethical nonmonogamy," but they are not synonymous. You can combine them or do one without the other.

If your relationship is polyamorous and open, then it's kosher for you to take new relationships, and you may fall in love with your partners. My relationships work this way.

If your relationship is polyamorous and closed, then you have more than one partner but have agreed not to take any new ones. For example, you could have a closed triad, a group of three people who are only involved with each other and don't get involved with anyone else.

If your relationship is open and not polyamorous, then you may take new partners, but these connections are not supposed to be romantic. Swingers often have sex outside their main relationship, but keep it casual.

If your relationship is neither open nor polyamorous, you're probably monogamous.
    Now, I found this in Quora (of all places), so your mileage may vary.
    But it does reinforce what I already thought:

In the context of Polyamory & The X-men, CATCHING FEELINGS IS THE POINT.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

It reminds me a short story from Georges R. R. Martin, this polyamory thing, ’A Song for Lya’…
    After having had a fulfilling life, each member of the people on a planet rejoin an entity where they can lose their individuality and they can share together ‘a immortality of love’ nested in this entity.
    I wonder if Krakoa isn’t playing the matchmaker…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe