View Poll Results: How do you feel about Polyamory in the X-books?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly Approve - Yes, Please!

112 43.58%
  • Neutral - Polyamory is fine, but doesn't seem to fit established characters / relationships.

98 38.13%
  • Strongly Disapprove - Keep it away from my books!

47 18.29%
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I'm not personally into polyamory, but I think this is an interesting twist to the grueling, tired love square between Emma/Jean/Scott/Logan and is kind of a cool idea for a newly liberated 'mutant culture'.
    Agreed, though my wife and I have dabbled in polyamory. We’ve been married awhile and had a few girlfriends over the years. Two of them were people we knew and were friends with before, and the last was a new friend from the gym. In all cases it just kind of fizzed out or lost its luster I guess over time. Like it was a fun phase or something and then it was over. In all cases we also still maintain our friendships with those women to this day. The first one we are still very close with, and she’s now married with kids of her own. My wife and I are still very much in love and have never been closer, and at this phase of our life are totally monogamous again... of course, if the right person came along you never know.

But, point being, I can not only relate to the polyamory, but I also root for it simply because it finally puts an end to the monotonous triangles we’ve had for decades in Scott-Jean-Logan and Jean-Scott-Emma. If this means we’re finally moving on from that, I’m so here for it. I don’t care if it’s just two pairings now, with Scott and Emma together and Logan and Jean together, or if it’s a true polyamory thing. Just so long as we don’t have to deal with the manufactured drama of a love triangle anymore. That **** was tired and played out many years ago IMO.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    They got rid of the doors to their bedrooms, because no matter what, *somebody's* gonna wake up with Rahne snuggled up at the foot of their bed. But it's not a sex thing.

(Usually Dani. Never Ilyanna (who usually sleeps in Limbo anyway). Or Doug, oddly. There might be some residual guilt there...)
    I can just imagine Rahne and Catseye snuggled up together in their animal forms.

Cats and dogs laying together!? Surely that’s a sign of the apocalypse, no? That may be a bridge too far, my friend.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Cats and dogs laying together!? Surely that’s a sign of the apocalypse, no? That may be a bridge too far, my friend.
    Krakoa is all about breaking taboos.

Speaking of which, Rahne was being awfully close to Xavier’s daughter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    Well, the responses have been very interesting.

We have people who:

1. Like Polyamory, and are excited to read about it in the X-books
    2. Are Okay with Polyamory, but don't want to read about romantic relationships in their books
    3. Are Okay with Polyamory, but have problems with the challenges it brings to the cast & narrative (using established characters vs. new; underdeveloped or skipped transitions clashing with established lore, etc.)
    4. Don't like Polyamory - FULL STOP

I expected a lot of responses to be...for lack of a better word, prejudiced against Polyamory as a concept (and I was not disappointed).
    But, I was heartened to hear that, for many, it's just narrative preferences, and for some, good ol' fashioned fanboy possessiveness.

(Of which, I have been guilty of too).

Probably the most interesting take, which I actually hadn't even considered, was someone hinting that their disapproval of polyamory for established monogamous characters is because the cyclical nature of Superhero comics means that eventually there will be a return to the status quo (monogamy). This means that rather than it being a profound character change, the adoption of polyamory would be more akin to wearing a hat, that they would then take off when enough time passed and people grew bored.

I may not agree with this assessment, but that is a very valid concern.
    When it comes to gender and sexuality, where there is fluidity for some but not others, that is something to keep in mind when writing and consuming these stories.

Literally on the first page.
    Also, other people were able to raise their objections/frustrations about the poll without sounding condescending.

That you would invoke letting go of nostalgia while advocating for Jogan...
    I chuckled.
    Jogan has never happened. Well before last week anyway. It literally isn't nostalgia.

My point stands.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Jogan has never happened. Well before last week anyway. It literally isn't nostalgia.

My point stands.
    Nostalgia: a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.

Jean and Logan have been pawing at each other for how long now?

Regardless of consummation or status, Jogan is nostalgic.
    You'd be better off just saying you want Jean and Logan together - just because.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

I’d call it “nostalgia with a twist.” Honestly, most of the Hickman era kind of feels like that to me. There’s this sense of nostalgia... down to the costumes some are wearing and the setting of Krakoa (which I can’t help seeing in my mind’s eye as the old X-men side-scrolling arcade game)... and yet, in some respects, very different. It’s cool like that IMO.

Agreed, though my wife and I have dabbled in polyamory. We’ve been married awhile and had a few girlfriends over the years. Two of them were people we knew and were friends with before, and the last was a new friend from the gym. In all cases it just kind of fizzed out or lost its luster I guess over time. Like it was a fun phase or something and then it was over. In all cases we also still maintain our friendships with those women to this day. The first one we are still very close with, and she’s now married with kids of her own. My wife and I are still very much in love and have never been closer, and at this phase of our life are totally monogamous again... of course, if the right person came along you never know.
    No boyfriends, Jackie? No Cables at the gym?

I’d call it “nostalgia with a twist.” Honestly, most of the Hickman era kind of feels like that to me. There’s this sense of nostalgia... down to the costumes some are wearing and the setting of Krakoa (which I can’t help seeing in my mind’s eye as the old X-men side-scrolling arcade game)... and yet, in some respects, very different. It’s cool like that IMO.
    Plus, the lack of PoC… Well, bubbles of nostalgia always pop.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Plus, the lack of POC… Well, bubbles of nostalgia always pop.
    Huh? Aside from X-Force, where are the titles lacking PoC?

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Jean was sleeping with Bishop just a year ago (while she was writing her magnum opus on celibacy).

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Huh? Aside from X-Force, where are the titles lacking PoC?
    Who are the prominent PoC in Hickman’s run?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    No boyfriends, Jackie? No Cables at the gym?
    I am the Cable at my gym. Ha.

But I’ve just never swung that way. Not hating on it, got good friends who are gay, but not my thing. I just like women.

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Storm, Synch, Darwin, Bishop, Jubilee, Kwannon, Apocalypse, Rictor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    Nostalgia: a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.

Jean and Logan have been pawing at each other for how long now?

Regardless of consummation or status, Jogan is nostalgic.
    You'd be better off just saying you want Jean and Logan together - just because.
    It's not nostalgia if it isn't something that has happened before.