View Poll Results: How do you feel about Polyamory in the X-books?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly Approve - Yes, Please!

112 43.58%
  • Neutral - Polyamory is fine, but doesn't seem to fit established characters / relationships.

98 38.13%
  • Strongly Disapprove - Keep it away from my books!

47 18.29%
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Why would mutants that can live forever in the prime of their lives want to settle for monogamy. How doesn't it make sense for Scogean (+Emma) when they've passed each other around for years.
    I guess if they could completely put aside the bitterness and ill will attached to said passing around and accept a relationship built around sharing/magnanimity...although once Krakoa is over I kind of expect they'll be less of an inclination to "share."

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I see some people claiming that polyamory is OOC because "these characters haven't been involved in polyamory/open relationships before" and I think you're missing the point entirely

Polyamory isn't a sexual orientation, its an interest or preference that people stumble upon by exploring or experimenting. Very different living circumstances from what these characters are used to have allowed them this space for experimentation - both the mental/emotional space and the physical space. This post outlines some of the factor rly well so lemme just quote it for truth:
    Part of the problem, at least for me, is that there is no groundwork for any of these changes. They've come out of left field and are not being explored with depth. The most we have regarding the situation are brief flirtations and one concrete on page scene for one pairing. It could be partly argued that everything will gradually be developed, but for now it seems as if Marvel would rather focus on fan service for the different pairings than actual exploration of the new dynamic. To me that's a problem. It makes me think that there wasn't a lot of thought put into how the current throuple/rectangle came to be and is instead an attempt to avoid the same drama. Again that's just my perspective, but the setup currently feels rather hollow and headcanon isn't something that should be required to enjoy the current setup. If it works for some, that's great, but I feel that more thought should have been put into the situation.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Mighty Member

The only reason I might entertain poly stuff is if it leads to Gambit who is the most experienced lover on the team become the moral center as he genuinely views Rogue as enough whereas all the other couples are in relationships they were not meant for. If you need more than one person you haven't found the one. All the poly does is prove Jean and Emma don't belong with Logan or Scott. I would love for Gambit to become the beacon of traditional relationships while everyone else is out sewing their wild oats. I'm open to it just because of the potential development and reversal of the perception of Gambit in people's eyes
    Last edited by Gripstir; 07-13-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    The only reason I might entertain poly stuff is if it leads to Gambit who is the most experienced lover on the team become the moral center as he genuinely views Rogue as enough whereas all the other couples are in relationships they were not meant for. If you need more than one person you haven't found the one. All the poly does is prove Jean and Emma don't belong with Logan or Scott. I would love for Gambit to become the beacon of traditional relationships while everyone else is out sewing their wild oats
    Let’s just hope Remy doesn’t return home to find Magneto’s helmet in the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess if they could completely put aside the bitterness and ill will attached to said passing around and accept a relationship built around sharing/magnanimity...although once Krakoa is over I kind of expect they'll be less of an inclination to "share."
    that's what Krakoa's all about. a mutant paradise everyone can take part in, share, regardless of their differences
    There's the scene in Marauders where Emma explains to a group of kids that maximizing the potential of their abilities in order to benefit mutantkind is their goal, then the descriptions of mutant magic in Excalibur all seem to be built around ideas of community . This "Sharing" , putting aside differences, for a larger benefit has been a recurring motif
    These teases of polyamory serve as a sort of extension of this idea , albeit usually as footnotes

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Part of the problem, at least for me, is that there is no groundwork for any of these changes. They've come out of left field and are not being explored with depth. The most we have regarding the situation are brief flirtations and one concrete on page scene for one pairing. It could be partly argued that everything will gradually be developed, but for now it seems as if Marvel would rather focus on fan service for the different pairings than actual exploration of the new dynamic. To me that's a problem. It makes me think that there wasn't a lot of thought put into how the current throuple/rectangle came to be and is instead an attempt to avoid the same drama. Again that's just my perspective, but the setup currently feels rather hollow and headcanon isn't something that should be required to enjoy the current setup. If it works for some, that's great, but I feel that more thought should have been put into the situation.
    I think this comes down to what other posters have pointed out: that there are far more interesting things going on in the books. fandom fixates on this aspect because that's what it does best lol

frankly I dont think Hickman is interested in writing about these relationships on a very deep level and so he's come up with an arrangement that (in theory) appeases shippers and contributes to the general theme of his story without becoming to focus. I cant blame him tbh, if he were to have taken on untangling the web of Logan/Scott/jean/Emma post-Rosencanny we'd probably have made it to HoX/PoX right before the shutdown lol

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Let’s just hope Remy doesn’t return home to find Magneto’s helmet in the closet.
    Why did you have to go there lol

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    It's interesting to me when people (in general, not just on internet forums) treat human beings (as an ontological whole... not just biologically) like they are "solid objects" instead of as a complex of ongoing dynamic processes.

We constantly change our outlook towards life. Sometimes this is in positive ways that stem from increased wisdom - or at least a greater understanding - while sometimes it might be more negative due to trauma or situations.

As for sexuality, it takes years sometimes to truly understand what your own sexuality really is. Within that umbrella I'm also including all the personal moral/ethical/etc. aspects of sexuality. A basic one is adolescents dreaming of that one love that when they find it, it will last forever and they'll never break up, etc. etc.

Or people who when they first get married, think on some deep level, "We've made it. We're permanent now." And then reality hits hard and they realize that nothing is permanent and if a marriage lasts (traditional or not) it's because people work really hard at it and continue to change in ways that are harmonious with the other person(s)' changes.

Then there are all the people who have a kink or sexual need they keep hidden because it's not accepted who might only admit to when they find a non-judgmental partner. Many times those things are things someone might say, "I never thought that would be something you would be into?" (i.e., "that seems out of character").

And that's without things like telepathy, having strange clones of old loves, having superpowers, etc.

Now, let's throw in the changes the DoX have brought:

1) Mutants are now, effectively, immortal.

and

2) They are a now distinct nation ACTIVELY trying to separate itself from human cultures (and the cultural artifacts that comprise those cultures like, concepts of "family", "clan", "tribe", "nation", etc.).

To me, "It's out of character!" isn't a valid criticism, especially in this brave new world of DoX.

A stylistic criticism could be, "But we haven't seen those changes on the page so it's lazy." to which I would say, "No, actually it's not lazy, it's taking a more literary or even cinematic approach instead of an exposition heavy approach to narrative that is embodied in traditional comics and especially traditional television. Hickman and Co. aren't being lazy, they're just not treating us like beginning readers who need to have our hands held the whole time.

Why do I support the polyamory angle? Because it is another semiotic aspect of what is making DoX so exciting: It's pushing things into all sorts of new areas - not only within the plot but also in style of presentation, aesthetics, tone, voice - and sometimes those places are uncomfortable ("Why are the X-Men fascists?" "Why are they all screwing each other?" "They just did [X] and it's really horrible!"). It's doing what good fiction should do: allow us to explore things from all over the spectrum of existence within the art and use that as a lens to see the world in slightly, or majorly, different ways.

I still want to see a scene between the Rectangle where everyone is connected telepathically and can experience everyone's perspective at the same time. Not for the titillation of it all but because it would be truly *transhuman*, truly *mutant*. Something that is far more potent of a change from human perspectives than just "having superpowers."
    Every-fekkin-thing in this post is plush.
    (at the bolded)...from your lips to HiX-Man's ears.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

that's what Krakoa's all about. a mutant paradise everyone can take part in, share, regardless of their differences
    There's the scene in Marauders where Emma explains to a group of kids that maximizing the potential of their abilities in order to benefit mutantkind is their goal, then the descriptions of mutant magic in Excalibur all seem to be built around ideas of community . This "Sharing" , putting aside differences, for a larger benefit has been a recurring motif
    These teases of polyamory serve as a sort of extension of this idea , albeit usually as footnotes

I think this comes down to what other posters have pointed out: that there are far more interesting things going on in the books. fandom fixates on this aspect because that's what it does best lol

frankly I dont think Hickman is interested in writing about these relationships on a very deep level and so he's come up with an arrangement that (in theory) appeases shippers and contributes to the general theme of his story without becoming to focus. I cant blame him tbh, if he were to have taken on untangling the web of Logan/Scott/jean/Emma post-Rosencanny we'd probably have made it to HoX/PoX right before the shutdown lol
    I feel like the bolded was part of the goal. A lot of the books are filled with vague hints so I'm pretty sure the writers know what they are doing.

Like I said, the avoidance of the situation is entirely the problem for me. The setup feels like its just fan service and avoidance of character drama. I feel like there were other solutions to the issue. Not sure why this one was considered the best. It may avoid taking too much focus, but at the same time, feels like a temporary band aid.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Doesn't bother me one way or the other to be honest.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member

I’m bothered that Jean/Logan/Emma/Scott is the only one we see.

There should be more!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I feel like there were other solutions to the issue. Not sure why this one was considered the best. It may avoid taking too much focus, but at the same time, feels like a temporary band aid.
    I feel like its pretty clever . What other solutions would you propose ?

I liked Jamie and Cersei together

Astonishing Member

when house of x came out with the full mutant party, and Hickman and fans joking its a orgy, I remember seeing that panel of Sean and Theresa in one panel together before she goes to Alison to enhanced her music and I was thinking, if this turn into a orgy, that would be one awkward one if family members are gonna be part of it, if I was Piotr, I would want to be as far away from Illyana if shes also partaking. plus I would hope there age restriction for kid mutants to be away from it. not into polyamory but if x-men getting a push I guess Ill deal with it, besides, is Mariko alive again, shouldn't Logan either pursue or even include her as the only human that poly-relationship.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It's an improbability but...I'm hoping for a Sense8 type splash page with all four.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

These teases of polyamory serve as a sort of extension of this idea , albeit usually as footnotesl
    It's an interesting look at a utopian ideal for Mutants. Be interesting to see how it contrasts/clashes with the inherent humanity of the characters involved.