View Poll Results: How do you feel about Polyamory in the X-books?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly Approve - Yes, Please!

112 43.58%
  • Neutral - Polyamory is fine, but doesn't seem to fit established characters / relationships.

98 38.13%
  • Strongly Disapprove - Keep it away from my books!

47 18.29%
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I'm stuck between neutral/approve. Some characters it seems a bit odd for them, and I understand the need to see how they reached this point, but I understand it creatively. Not adhering to one ship allows writers flexibility, and to go off chemistry of the cast/supporting characters.

I'm all for the characters practicing Polyamory in the comics. Hell, Claremont started the whole thing with his take on various X-relationships (Storm, Mystique, Logan, Kurt, etc.), so why not keep the party going?
    Mutant and Proud
    Krakoa FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    By the same token ,since they are clones,why not just make a clone of yourself and sleep with yourself? Just try it coz you can ...This idea that immortality has something to do with it is absurd
    This response doesn't make any sense

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    We’ve had Nightcrawler and Amanda for decades now.
    This one is why nobody should be batting an eye at the polyamory.

We already had the biggest "WTF" relationship back in the 80s. The happenings on Krakoa are actually pretty normal and healthy in comparison to Kurt banging his sister.

When will folks learn poll choices are easier to choose when it’s less specific. I approve but I don’t “strongly approve.” Also people can be neutral without it having anything to do with “existing character development to date.”

Here’s the thing. I’m a huge jean fan. On one hand the idea
    Of her being in a poly relationship feels off to me. That’s my gut feeling.

HOWEVER, people change, or become their true selves, or they try things. IF jean is in fact in a poly relationship, who am I to impose my own preferences on her (or the other members of the relationship).

When iceman came out as gay I fully supported it - many of his fans didn’t and I think it’s because they identified too much with the character on a personal level so they couldn’t relate to him anymore. Or they simply took his past relationships with girls as a set in stone thing rather than one part or time of his life.

It would be really hypocritical of me say “jean has never shown an inclination to being poly! This isn’t in character!” When I feel the way I do about iceman coming out. Who’s to say she isn’t wanting to try a different approach to life, Or always wanted this , or a million other explanations?

ALL THAT BEING SAID, IF this is the path marvel is going to take, I hope so badly that they refrain from beating around the bush about it and make it 100% explicit. Women come off worse than men in these scenarios (even though they shouldn’t), and I fear jean will suffer badly if marvel refrains from stating it unequivocally while continuing to hint that it’s happening.

Also I still say this feels like some sort of weird alt reality but I’m here to see how it turns out.
    Last edited by Grey; 07-13-2020 at 08:15 PM.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    This is where I am. It's fiction, it's all in fun, why not? BUT some of the characters that will supposedly be engaging do not fit because they don't seem the "sharing" type, especially after so much bad history & betrayal.
    One could argue that’s even more reason for a different approach, no?
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It is already quite explicit. At leas as explicit as comics would allow it to be. Those who can read and whose comprehensive skills are well advanced knows what HiX-Man is saying...they don't need it spelled out in fireworks over the islands.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It is already quite explicit. At leas as explicit as comics would allow it to be. Those who can read and whose comprehensive skills are well advanced knows what HiX-Man is saying...they don't need it spelled out in fireworks over the islands.
    I understand people Know it without it being spelled out. But to not have the guts to say they are in a poly relationship, flat out, takes away from any representation they would achieve, not to mention people will continue to argue the merits.

Validation and legitimization can be great for new concepts. If they want to go for this I want to see them
    Go for it completely.

It's an improbability but...I'm hoping for a Sense8 type splash page with all four.
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I voted no. It's an especially hard no now that I seen what an open marriage has done to will smith and Jadas son Jaden. You can see how bad that messed up that kid. I think people who vote for it probably think about it in terms of the characters and don't care what kind of long lasting fucked up mental issues it causes to group dynamics. SOMEONE ALWAYS CATCHES FEELINGS AND DESTROYS THE WHOLE GROUP DYNAMIC.
    Maybe this happens because poly relationships aren’t really supported and validated in
    Our society, whereas if they were it could be a much more healthy relationship with communication.

This is coming from someone (me) who wants a monogamous relationship for myself, but also thinks communication and validation are the most important things. If you shame consenting adults into what they “should Be”, I can imagine scenarios where it would result in bad outcomes.
    Last edited by Grey; 07-13-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Every-fekkin-thing in this post is plush.
    (at the bolded)...from your lips to HiX-Man's ears.
    Thanks!

And, yeah, I'm more hoping someone form the HiX-office sees some of our posts and says, "You know, some people get it and the others are just buying copies and getting into a lather and keeping the conversation going!" "Really? Bonus! It's a win-win!"

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That might be asking a bit much.
    This is not a story centred around the validation and legitimisation of Polyamory. At best, the relationship between the four is but a tertiary sub-plot that has very little import/impact on the main plot: Mutants Rising and Excelling in their Power.

It's the most fekkin' interesting sub-plot, we've had in years...I'll give you that.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-13-2020 at 08:38 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

That might be asking a bit much.
    This is not a story centred around the validation and legitimisation of Polyamory. At best, the relationship between the four is but a tertiary sub-plot that has very little import/impact on the main plot: Mutants Rising and Excelling in their Power.

It's the most fekkin' interesting sub-plot, we've had in years...I'll give you that.
    I would agree with you if we weren’t talking about 2/3/4 (however you want to consider it) of the most influential pillars in xmen history being involved.

It's an improbability but...I'm hoping for a Sense8 type splash page with all four.
    I would sell a limb for this.

I'm very much in the pro-poly camp, and instead of rehashing the points that have already been so eloquently laid out here, I'm just gonna list some more characters I want to see give this poly life a shot:
    Polaris x Danger x Bedlam
    Moonstar x Risque x Warpath
    Apocalypse x Frenzy x Rictor

This thread has been an absolute pleasure to read through.
    I'm also reminded of that page from Black Panther that revealed T'challa perceived the X-men to be a sprawling, messy polyamourus entanglement that Storm would never truly leave. 4265112-uno.jpg