View Poll Results: How do you feel about Polyamory in the X-books?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly Approve - Yes, Please!

112 43.58%
  • Neutral - Polyamory is fine, but doesn't seem to fit established characters / relationships.

98 38.13%
  • Strongly Disapprove - Keep it away from my books!

47 18.29%
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

So far...
    We know Rogue and Gambit are married so...more than likely monogamous (I don't see them trying polyamory)
    Iceman and Christian seem to be in a casual/FwB something (It's not been defined)
    It would be interesting to see other characters forming/defining their own kinds of relationships (not necessarily poly or mono or FwB)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Polyamory is fine. I don't think that it makes sense for the characthers involved, but at this point, i'm just gonna focus in what i enjoy
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    I kept this poll about Polyamory general for a reason.
    Are there any X-characters that you do approve polyamorous relationships with?
    Very few X-characters seem like they'd be into polyamory. Just like real world.

Maybe Storm. Maybe Domino. I don't know. Never gave it much thought.

I would vote Neutral, but I don't agree with the rest of the description. I would not say that polyamory doesn't fit with these characters. I think they are clearly showing that it can fit and not be out of character.

I'm neutral to it as it doesn't bother or excite me. I'm just ok with it. I don't care much for romantic relationships in X-men, so as long as all characters are treated like equals and the relationships do not descend characters into overly mushy territory or extreme angst then it is all good.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I don't see many other main characters being polyamorous. As not many characters apart from the four in question have been shown to have multiple/ongoing relationship partners/issues.

Perhaps Domino? She's been involved with Cable and Wolverine and Piotr but I don't see her horning in on Jean/Logan.

Same with Storm. And for all intents and purposes she's still being monogamous with T'Challa.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

All-New Member

Ehh, does it work? Sure? Maybe?

Like everything with the X-Books over the last 15-20 years, it’s just been plopped in our laps without any explanation whatsoever.

We used to be KNOW these characters, what they liked and where they stood.
    Now, it’s just whatever the current writer thinks is novel and interesting.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GryphonAO View Post

Like everything with the X-Books over the last 15-20 years, it’s just been plopped in our laps without any explanation whatsoever.

I pretty much view everything after Claremont's first run as fanfic of varying degrees of quality (even by Claremont himself), and most of it doesn't mesh well together anyway.

I'm ok with the new setup. Overall Hickman has reached top tier status for me along with OG Claremont and Morrison, so I can roll with this. It's better than rehashing the same relationship crap over and over again, at least it's a new twist.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I think it’s awesome showing 4 consenting adults in this sort of relationship. Where they respect and understand boundaries and show love to eachother. I think it’s being handled well.
    Scott and Maddie's marriage was also between consenting adults. It didn't make Scott look like an unhealthy obsessed man towards his dead girlfriend at all.

People need to stop throwing "consenting adults" argument around like it means whatever happens after that makes sense or is good.
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 07-13-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I don't see many other main characters being polyamorous. As not many characters apart from the four in question have been shown to have multiple/ongoing relationship partners/issues.

Perhaps Domino? She's been involved with Cable and Wolverine and Piotr but I don't see her horning in on Jean/Logan.

Same with Storm. And for all intents and purposes she's still being monogamous with T'Challa.
    "Being attracted to multiple people at the same time[kind of]" and "wanting to be with multiple people at the same time[literally]" are two very VERY different things.

I’m neutral on this one. There certainly is a ton of sub text in the books but very little confirmation of any polyamourus (sp?) activity. That was until X force #10 and now it seems like a strong possibility. I say strong possibility because I don’t think we’ve seen Scott and Jean being confirmed to be together again neither him and Emma, correct me if I’m wrong though. It’s very possible I’m forgetting something that did establish this. I can see Logan entertaining the idea of having fwb but Scott seems to me that he has always been a one woman type of fella. I guess you could argue his portrayal in New X-Men says otherwise but Jean died so we don’t really know.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by GryphonAO View Post

Nah, most stuff that happened in the last 15-20 years had explanations. Not always good ones, but they at least tried.

Current run is

someone asks: Hey, why is...
    Hickman: Because Krakoa!

BANNED

I am fine with Polyamory. Relationships within X-Men have always jeopardized the characters and the main story or the status quo, especially with the main characters therefore unless it affects the storyline I don't think it's too bad to have mutual relationships. It's fiction, not like you have to make it comparable to real life.

I guess it's one way to avoid overwrought romantic drama and try to satisfy all the shippers, especially if you believe in "there is but one ultimate way" (points for whoever gets that reference), but I don't see it being viable in the long-term or as far as the X-Men as a mass media brand once Marvel and Disney start promoting them hard again.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I pretty much view everything after Claremont's first run as fanfic of varying degrees of quality (even by Claremont himself), and most of it doesn't mesh well together anyway. .
    I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Especially when so much of the new era is building off stuff that was expanded on past the Claremont era.

BANNED

I voted approve, but I am STRONGLY, STRONGLY, STRONGLY against Jean Grey being involved with Cyclops and his man pain stories, whether that is with just him or polyamorously with 15 other X-Men. That character is the worst and damages other cooler charactacters.

Polyamory? Sure.

Jean/Scott/whoever? No, no, no.

Gimme Wolverine/Jean/Bishop lol

Monogamy is a much more recent invention than open relationships/polyamory/throuples. I say it should henceforth always be in the X-Men. One of the main things that even mainstream pop culture recognizes is that Mutants be horny so why not turn that into something productive and progressive.