View Poll Results: How do you feel about Polyamory in the X-books?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly Approve - Yes, Please!

112 43.58%
  • Neutral - Polyamory is fine, but doesn't seem to fit established characters / relationships.

98 38.13%
  • Strongly Disapprove - Keep it away from my books!

47 18.29%
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    So.

Your first post indicates that you would be neutral to polyamory in the X-men.
    However, the second and third posts indicate a strong dislike for polyamory itself.

Do you hate polyamory, or do you just hate reading about it? Or both?
    I dont think ppl are hating, is the fact that they are changing a characters to fit their story. Why not make characters that will carry this. Who ever changes this 4 characters to be committed to only one person will be slapping the people that want polyamory to stay represented in comics. Have you though about that? I would rather read new characters that are into this then a writer killing my character and making him ooc. This characters no writer will make them be in what they are not because this characters where created for this.

I'm neutral. I know little about polyamory , and I am open to seeing their story unfold and hopefully educate myself on the matter as their tale progresses. However, I feel like there was a story between the UXM finale ( Jean kissing Scott and Logan and Emma sidelined) and X-Force #10( and the other subtextual scenes throughout the era) that was not told . How did their arrangements came to be? How did Emma, for example, get over her insecurity in regards to Jean and Scott's connection? How is Logan, who couldn't even attend Jean and Scott's wedding now a part of their household and family dynamics? How did Jean and Scott, two of the most vanilla ( and frankly repressed) x-characters decide to see other people?

I've come to the conclusion that it's not necessarily OOC because these characters have baggage. My problem is that, since this new era isn't about X-Men but rather the nation of Krakoa, these characters don't matter on an individual level. So their story, thoughts and feelings don't matter. And for these four characters? I see this as a HUGE shift in their status quo. That won't be addressed( even briefly, not saying comic series have to be launched about their relationship) because it doesn't serve the larger narrative . That is my problem with the current poly setup

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    It's comments like these that makes me think that even the people who like this can't take it seriously.

"Ha ha! I can turn it into a gay or polyamory joke! **** dramatic moments and having serious discussions about relationships. Everybody's banging everybody? Good."
    And it seems some people are taking it way too seriously.

I like it...and I'm having fun with it while taking it as a serious plot point presented by the writers.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I am surprisingly ok with it. Maybe because I got so sick of the love triangles, that it's nice to get past the drama. We already know the 4 characters love each other, and one love doesn't diminish the other. This way every shipping fan gets a little something to be happy about. Now I'm just waiting on more overt confirmation of Scogan.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I didn't know only teenagers get affected when a big facet of their parents' life changes. "Hey my mom's banging some other dude besides my dad. But whatever, I'm 18+."
    Jean isn't even his mom.

Cable's entire backstory is batshit crazy, this really shouldn't phase him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fall-From-Grace View Post
    I'm neutral. I know little about polyamory , and I am open to seeing their story unfold and hopefully educate myself on the matter as their tale progresses. However, I feel like there was a story between the UXM finale ( Jean kissing Scott and Logan and Emma sidelined) and X-Force #10( and the other subtextual scenes throughout the era) that was not told . How did their arrangements came to be? How did Emma, for example, get over her insecurity in regards to Jean and Scott's connection? How is Logan, who couldn't even attend Jean and Scott's wedding now a part of their household and family dynamics? How did Jean and Scott, two of the most vanilla ( and frankly repressed) x-characters decide to see other people?

I've come to the conclusion that it's not necessarily OOC because these characters have baggage. My problem is that, since this new era isn't about X-Men but rather the nation of Krakoa, these characters don't matter on an individual level. So their story, thoughts and feelings don't matter. And for these four characters? I see this as a HUGE shift in their status quo. That won't be addressed( even briefly, not saying comic series have to be launched about their relationship) because it doesn't serve the larger narrative . That is my problem with the current poly setup
    In my headcanon, Jean was the one to think about it. She could have told Scott "listen, I know you love me and you know I love you. I also know Emma loves you and you still have feelings for her. Same for me and Logan. Since we're going to live forever now, maybe we should think of something else that will make us all happy".

Well, like I predicted over in the Krakoan Love thread, it certainly didn't take long for someone to invoke the "Think of the children!" argument, based upon prejudices and ignorance over the choices families make.

Before someone argues that polyamory in parental relationships negatively affects the children's lives, they should maybe talk with poly couples who have raised healthy and functional adult children. You'll be surprised that reality doesn't conform to your prejudices.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    In my headcanon, Jean was the one to think about it. She could have told Scott "listen, I know you love me and you know I love you. I also know Emma loves you and you still have feelings for her. Same for me and Logan. Since we're going to live forever now, maybe we should think of something else that will make us all happy".
    Definitely.
    I can definitely see Jean being the one to clarify and suggest moving forward in a polyamorous relationship. She's always been pragmatic like that. Emma would be too aloof and Scott would not even have considered it and Wolverine would have been happy just fantasising about it.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-13-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bell View Post
    I dont think ppl are hating, is the fact that they are changing a characters to fit their story. Why not make characters that will carry this. Who ever changes this 4 characters to be committed to only one person will be slapping the people that want polyamory to stay represented in comics. Have you though about that? I would rather read new characters that are into this then a writer killing my character and making him ooc. This characters no writer will make them be in what they are not because this characters where created for this.
    Oh, I'm learning a lot.

If I had to make it over, I'd have hella more options for the poll.
    But that's a hindsight 20/20 scenario.

The whole reason I made this thread is because I wanted to divorce the polyamory discussion from "The Rectangle", and see how people felt about it and its potential presence in the X-books in general.
    When it comes to Scott/Emma/Jean/Logan, people get pretty heated (and not in the sexy way). That makes it difficult to see where they stand on the topic.
    Given all the hinting of the current run, as well as the character histories and standings, it's understandable that people are still talking about them though.
    Last edited by Striderblack01; 07-13-2020 at 12:16 PM.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

BANNED

I am strongly against their relationships getting first-served to X-Men that's been happening for decades. There is been toxicity around these things for decades because like Gilo said X-Men are a bunch of sex-obsessed weirdos shifted the status quo of their own and also the X-Men

Only because the hints/subtexts/evidence has only involved those four...presently.
    That may change but...I don't see the other writers investing that effort and energy in trying to make the other characters openly polyamorous. All other recognised relationships on island has been pretty standard, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Ermmm like who?
    You don't think the Avengers aren't having constant hookups and sexually charged bromances :P?
    Flourite was explicitly a romantic relationship involving six gems.
    Yeah, I've been reading the thread .
    Monogamy but strict, I think.
    That...doesn't seem to be that big a distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    This is awesome! I can totally see this playing out. I think that the idea had to come from either Scott or Jean, and between the two of them, it would likely come from Jean.
    This is what I've wanted to see on the page. A few lines, really. Maybe even two panels!
    Fiine, what I really wanted was 80's style thought bubbles and character exposition. But since we're not gonna see one line of dialogue, I'll use your headcannon from now on! ^^

This is awesome! I can totally see this playing out. I think that the idea had to come from either Scott or Jean, and between the two of them, it would likely come from Jean.
    This is what I've wanted to see on the page. A few lines, really. Maybe even two panels!
    Fiine, what I really wanted was 80's style thought bubbles and character exposition. But since we're not gonna see one line of dialogue, I'll use your headcannon from now on! ^^
    Yeah hahaha. I hope we do get a little flashback scene though.

But Jean would be definitely the one to come up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You don't think the Avengers aren't having constant hookups and sexually charged bromances :P?
    The Avengers are too stuck up. They just stare intensely at each, have meltdowns and decimate species when they want to marry a robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    Oh, I'm learning a lot.

If I had to make it over, I'd have hella more options for the poll.
    But that's a hindsight 20/20 scenario.

The whole reason I made this thread is because I wanted to divorce the polyamory discussion from "The Rectangle", and see how people felt about it and its potential presence in the X-books in general.
    When it comes to Scott/Emma/Jean/Logan, people get pretty heated (and not in the sexy way). That makes it difficult to see where they stand on the topic.
    Given all the hinting of the current run, as well as the character histories and standings, it's understandable that people are still talking about them though.
    I will give you my honest answer if you promised to keep a open mind to it.