Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast
    Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...it feels more like the natural progression of Crosshair's entire story. He was used to train the new soldiers last season and saw how they despised him. Then this season in Solitary Clone we see him form a relationship with Cody and then see him desert with no care from his superior officer. Being on Coruscant he no doubt saw the events of truth and consequences and the announcement of the Defense Recruitment Bill and then in the latest episode we see him form a relationship with yet another clone, this one named Mayday and the Imperial officer's callous treatment of him led him to kill that officer. It's a story all about disillusionment with the Empire and it makes a lot of sense.
    He is too much of an uncompromising Empire soldier for me to believe that he'll abandon all that he values just because of a funny little thing called "enlightenment"

Maybe it'll be a natural progression story-wise for some but he is the wrong character to center this story. It'll be lazy storytelling just like how they "delved" in to Agent Kallus' story.
    Last edited by Tofali; 03-12-2023 at 11:15 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    He is too much of an uncompromising Empire soldier for me to believe that he'll abandon all that he values just because of a funny thing called "enlightenment"

Maybe it'll be a natural progression story-wise for some but he is the wrong character to center this story. It'll be lazy storytelling just like how they "delved" in to Agent Kallus' story.
    We've seen questioning looks in his eyes the whole time...they've actually been doing a great job of telling his story.

This really feels like you wanted an Imperial who never questions his beliefs and don't want to see a character who changes.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Niffleheim

We've seen questioning looks in his eyes the whole time...they've actually been doing a great job of telling his story.

This really feels like you wanted an Imperial who never questions his beliefs and don't want to see a character who changes.
    The thing is I don't believe that Crosshair would ever question his belief in the Empire and him killing the Lieutenant would have never shaken that belief.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

The thing is I don't believe that Crosshair would ever question his belief in the Empire and him killing the Lieutenant would have never shaken that belief.
    He's been questioning it ever since he saw his former home destroyed and he let his former team escape the Empire's punishment.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 03-12-2023 at 11:36 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Niffleheim

He's been questioning it ever since he saw his former home destroyed and he let his former team escape the Empire's punishment.
    They saved him and he repaid by saving them. He could have done nothing to them because the Empire already departed after they destroyed Kamino and he went straight back to the Empire after that.

They saved him and he repaid by saving them. He could have done nothing to them because the Empire already departed after they destroyed Kamino and he went straight back to the Empire after that.
    You can't have it both ways, either we're supposed to see him as a dyed in the wool Imperial soldier that would never waver or change or we're meant to see him undergo a change and disobeying orders to bring his former squad in was a clear indication of the latter. If he was just "good soldiers follow orders" all the time he would have turned in his squad in a heart beat, so if he did not do that then he's not so committed to the cause.

Niffleheim

You can't have it both ways, either we're supposed to see him as a dyed in the wool Imperial soldier that would never waver or change or we're meant to see him undergo a change and disobeying orders to bring his former squad in was a clear indication of the latter. If he was just "good soldiers follow orders" all the time he would have turned in his squad in a heart beat, so if he did not do that then he's not so committed to the cause.
    I'm not really straddling any fences because I'm sure he has killed dozens with his "good soldiers follow orders" mantra and I see him as an Imperial soldier through and through even when sometimes he shows some form of "humanity" around his former squad members.

I'm not really straddling any fences because I'm sure he has killed dozens with his "good soldiers follow orders" mantra and I see him as an Imperial soldier through and through even when sometimes he shows some form of "humanity" around his former squad members.
    He also showed it towards Cody and just recently with Mayday, it's a behavior that has developed over time.

Don't know what to tell you good sir and/or ma'am, Crosshair's turn has been very clearly set up since the destruction of Kamino. They've been super obvious about where this was headed. Maybe you didn't see it or maybe you don't agree with it, but it's been right there the whole time.

Whether Crosshair really returns to the Batch, we'll see, but the man is clearly finished with the Empire and he's been moving in this direction all season.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

I think the thing with Crosshair is he’s clearly had a lethally self-centered, and then clone-centered, POV, and that kind of apathetic myopia isn’t a virtue for the Galaxy as a whole, but instaed a terrible vice, and thus the reason why they could have the damning scene where he tells the Bad Batch he and his chip removed, since it means he’s utterly uncaring about the ruin and wreckage he leaves in his wake if it’s not him or his brothers.

…But at the same time, the more clone-centric POV *does* have an Avenue for empathy with his brethren, which they’ve been emphasizing this season and making clear is getting to him. He still doesn’t care about anyone who’s not a clone, and that disturbs clones like Cody and the Bad Batch, but he also does care about how clones similar to himself are treated enough to risk his life avengeing one of their deaths.

He’s almost certainly being set-up for a face-turn… but I would argue that his myopic, still somewhat sociopathic POV could just as easily justify him becoming the first Deathtrooper or Darktrooper, and enlisting many of his brothers to join him and form their own band of Pro-Imperial soldiers that aren’t expendable.

It’s unlikely to happen, and again, it’s likely that he’s being given a redemption story… but it should be noted it’s likely closer to Bo Katan’s more ambiguous shift to anti-hero and co-belligerent than it is to other Star Wars redemtpion stories.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think the thing with Crosshair is heÂ’s clearly had a lethally self-centered, and then clone-centered, POV, and that kind of apathetic myopia isnÂ’t a virtue for the Galaxy as a whole, but instaed a terrible vice
    Oh he's certainly not a good person, nor is he very likeable. Crosshair is awful; being fed up with the Empire and realizing they're not selling what he thought they were doesn't change any of that.

He still doesnÂ’t care about anyone whoÂ’s not a clone, and that disturbs clones like Cody and the Bad Batch, but he also does care about how clones similar to himself are treated enough to risk his life avengeing one of their deaths.
    I'd argue it wasn't even about avenging Mayday as much as it was about Crosshair realizing the Imps are never gonna change their minds on clones, or even recognize individuals among them. Avenging Mayday is part of it, yeah, but that's more like the straw that broke the camel's back than anything. Crosshair is still an elitist douche who considers himself better than the "regs" and was super excited about building a new Empire. He talked like he was gonna have a direct hand in shaping it, that's how much he believed. He wanted to be on the front lines of it, heroically building a ruthlessly cruel and lawful empire where everyone knows their place and stays there. He had no sympathy for the clones going AWOL at first, until he started to notice the reasons why and that those reasons would impact him as well. And I think if the Imps were giving Crosshair quality assignments and treating him like he's special, he'd be fine. But he's been treated like all the other clones. And yeah, that's built a sense of community Crosshair didn't have before, he's no longer as much an outsider among his brothers as everyone's closed ranks in the face of the Empire's treatment. But what pushed Crosshair over the line here wasn't Mayday so much as the CO straight up telling Crosshair that his job is to die, that's there's no place in the Empire for clones no matter how loyal or special. They're not interested in using Crosshair and his skill, they just want to use him up until he's dead and they'll give all clones crap assignments so they do the decent thing and die out of sight.

HeÂ’s almost certainly being set-up for a face-turnÂ… but I would argue that his myopic, still somewhat sociopathic POV could just as easily justify him becoming the first Deathtrooper or Darktrooper, and enlisting many of his brothers to join him and form their own band of Pro-Imperial soldiers that arenÂ’t expendable.
    I could see that deal being real attractive to him. I think he'd take it in a heartbeat, especially if he were allowed to recruit some clones to ease what little conscience he has. But I don't see the Empire making the offer. I don't think it's that Crosshair doesn't believe in the Empire, it's that the Empire doesn't believe in him.

I don't know much about dark troopers or death troopers, or whether their established history even has room for Crosshair? But that'd be a solid enough twist. So far the subplot has been clearly telegraphed and it's been a pretty standard "heel turn" arc, Crosshair sticking with the Imps because they offer a shiny new helmet could be a nice swerve.

Crosshair is a lot like Mayfeld (spelling?) in Mando I think. Mayfeld isn't a good person, he's not sympathetic. He only broke with the Empire because the Imps treated him and his squad like a cheap and expendable resource. Granted, it's not a 1:1 parallel or anything and Mayfeld's cynical enough to not believe in any government anymore and he has a bit more of a conscience (might've come with age), but both are bad people who believed in the mission until they realized the Imps treat their own soldiers nearly as bad as the enemy, and are just as quick to use them up.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Maybe he'll become a bounty hunter like the other two Eastwood homages in the series (Cad and Boba).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Some of the best episodes of this season have been the Crosshairs episode and some of the most memorable one-shot characters have been the new Clones we've been introduced too...even if their fate has never been kind.

It's funny how Crosshairs started out the member of the Batch most dismissive of Regs and jumping full ship into the Empire but ends up going through so much to try and save a Reg and then killing his commander because he's had too much. These episodes have really built up how abused and mistreated the Clones are to the point where Crosshairs finally had enough.

Crispin Freeman was a great cartoony Imperial.

With a name like "Mayday" you knew he was going to be in trouble though given how fast he died, would they have even been able to save him if they'd tried? I guess if they had gotten a medic to him immediately, though he never should've been in that position with Crosshairs alone.

So I'm guessing Crosshairs is going to get tasked with hunting down Omega and bringing her back and then we'll get the whole gang back together for the finale.

Today's episode is a bit of a filler, pretty much the Batch dealing with a natural disaster for once on an island that's kind of a cross between Luke's sequel trilogy refuge and a Mediterranean island town. Also sort of establishes Phee further as a generally more ethical/morally sound ally for the group than Cid (and also further distinguishes her from the slightly similar Dr. Aphra from the comics).

Despite the episode's disaster, this feels very much like it could be a "Calm before the storm" episode given that we're nearing the season finale. The next episode is called "Tipping point" after all.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I guess it's understandable the Clones who were raised as soldiers from birth would take it for granted how a kid needs to live and be a kid rather than get trained and used as a mercenary. Which Omega is good at, yeah, but she deserves more.

Cid finally lets loose her inner Trandoshan. At least it seems like the Batch are officially done with her, which was a long-time coming.

So...Phee and Tech? seem like something is brewing there. It's weird seeing him so flustered.

Mini Transformers Rescue Bots reunion with Imari Williams and Steve Blum!

I think that's the first time they've done an "The Empire would never show up" and the Empire did, in fact, not show up. Unless that's the next episode. But instead we got the Batch reacting to a natural disaster.