Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if they were susceptible to Order 66 at all. Could they stumble onto a Jedi during one of their missions?
    I think it all depends on them encountering a Jedi during it. The Purge troopers while still comprised of clones didn't react to Order 66 until the Jedi mindtricked them into doing so. While they did have orders, there's nothing causing them to go violent on sight so much as outside the initial order. Otherwise it seems the clones will just follow orders.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Niffleheim

Up to now i don't even know how Order 66 works? How was it even triggered? Was it it a switch that was flipped or was it voice activated?

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Up to now i don't even know how Order 66 works? How was it even triggered? Was it it a switch that was flipped or was it voice activated?
    I think the basics of it was there was a chip designed to re-program the Clones into killing the Jedi under order of Darth Sidius. It completely re-wrote their mind to make them think the Jedi were enemies of the Republic so they could kill them in cold-blood.

iMan 42s

Order 66 works in that the chip compels the clone to fire on the nearest Jedi. In the case of Tup's malfunction which caused the order to activate prematurely it caused him to fire on the nearest Jedi. Tup was 501st and targeted one of Commander Doom's General's rather than Anakin so it seems it's more of a blanket order with the first Jedi they see rather than they're supposed to kill anybody specific.

Since Jedi Generals are probably going to be near the commanders it makes sense to send the order to them as well as have them inform the other clones what the new orders are. As noted with Ahsoka, Rex actually had to sit down and explain things to his men (and the audience) so the clones in ear-shot of the order will comply and everybody else follows the chain of command. The effects of the chip wear off after an indeterminate amount of time as while later clones did fire on Darth Vader, it's more that they mistook him for Jedi rather than the chip kicking in. We also see that Purge troopers while still clones do possess the chip and while they're ordered to kill the Jedi the chip itself isn't active until the Jedi used the force to compel them to fire on the Inquisitors.

The chip overwrites them to comply with the order. There is no explanation how and why Rex resisted. The clones personas will return but it seems they just went with orders anyways. The order seems to be required to have been given verbally and can be activated from Palpatine or a mindtrick.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Order 66 works in that the chip compels the clone to fire on the nearest Jedi. In the case of Tup's malfunction which caused the order to activate prematurely it caused him to fire on the nearest Jedi. Tup was 501st and targeted one of Commander Doom's General's rather than Anakin so it seems it's more of a blanket order with the first Jedi they see rather than they're supposed to kill anybody specific.
    I subscribe to the fan theory that Anakin was deliberately coded in as being exempt from Order 66 because Sidius needed him so the Clones wouldn't knowingly attack him.

I think the only Jedi Sidius deliberately targeted were Obi-Wan and maybe Ahsoka when he sent out the Order 66 call.
    The chip overwrites them to comply with the order. There is no explanation how and why Rex resisted. The clones personas will return but it seems they just went with orders anyways. The order seems to be required to have been given verbally and can be activated from Palpatine or a mindtrick.
    I think Rex was able to resist because he knew about the chip and used every little bit of willpower he had to resist it enough to warn Ahsoka, but it didn't make him immune so they still had to have it removed.

Niffleheim

Since Jedi Generals are probably going to be near the commanders it makes sense to send the order to them as well as have them inform the other clones what the new orders are. As noted with Ahsoka, Rex actually had to sit down and explain things to his men (and the audience) so the clones in ear-shot of the order will comply and everybody else follows the chain of command. The effects of the chip wear off after an indeterminate amount of time as while later clones did fire on Darth Vader, it's more that they mistook him for Jedi rather than the chip kicking in. We also see that Purge troopers while still clones do possess the chip and while they're ordered to kill the Jedi the chip itself isn't active until the Jedi used the force to compel them to fire on the Inquisitors.

Yeah i didn't like Rex resisting because it kind of confused me how all this works now prior to CW season 7 i was just under the assumption that since all clones had chips embedded in their brains since infancy an order from Sidious or a button pressed to activate the chip was what triggered the Jedi massacre.

Yeah i didn't like Rex resisting because it kind of confused me how all this works now prior to CW season 7 i was just under the assumption that since all clones had chips embedded in their brains since infancy an order from Sidious or a button pressed to activate the chip was what triggered the Jedi massacre.
    To be fair he was only able to resist for about five seconds before going on to try and kill Ahsoka as coldly and efficiently as possible.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I subscribe to the fan theory that Anakin was deliberately coded in as being exempt from Order 66 because Sidius needed him so the Clones wouldn't knowingly attack him.

I think the only Jedi Sidius deliberately targeted were Obi-Wan and maybe Ahsoka when he sent out the Order 66 call.

I think Rex was able to resist because he knew about the chip and used every little bit of willpower he had to resist it enough to warn Ahsoka, but it didn't make him immune so they still had to have it removed.
    The order being not to include Anakin would make a good deal of sense. I mean what was Sidious going to do had Anakin not been burnt as badly as he was? Palpatine even admits he wasn't intending for Anakin to end up the way he did. Though Anakin in that scene is also by himself once the order goes down. Anakin is only with the clones again once he's rescued from Mustafar and that's long after the order was received and he's disfigured with no lightsaber. So Palpatine was either going to exonerate Anakin once this was over or he'd be in a version of the Vader suit that wasn't life-support for public appearances.

The order being not to include Anakin would make a good deal of sense. I mean what was Sidious going to do had Anakin not been burnt as badly as he was? Palpatine even admits he wasn't intending for Anakin to end up the way he did. Though Anakin in that scene is also by himself once the order goes down. Anakin is only with the clones again once he's rescued from Mustafar and that's long after the order was received and he's disfigured with no lightsaber. So Palpatine was either going to exonerate Anakin once this was over or he'd be in a version of the Vader suit that wasn't life-support for public appearances.
    Didn't Anakin lead the Clones to purge the Jedi on Coruscant right after he became Darth Vader and pre-burning? Like, the younglings ask him what they're supposed to do about the Clones and Anakin is basically there to help kill them all...

There's actually a Darth Vader comic in which a Jedi uses the Order 66 against the Inquisitors, some of whom are former Jedi but who happen to have some clones among their stormtrooper group.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Niffleheim

So it isn't just me? the ambiguity of it is left to the interpretation of any writer because nobody really knows in detail the full scope of how Order 66 can be deployed or when it will end.

I think the Legends explanation by Karen Traviss was that it was basically a kind of complex Clone rule-book that contained multiple orders, before the CW/new canon did the whole chip thing.

"Order 66: In the event of Jedi officers acting against the interests of the Republic, and after receiving specific orders verified as coming directly from the Supreme Commander (Chancellor), GAR commanders will remove those officers by lethal force, and command of the GAR will revert to the Supreme Commander (Chancellor) until a new command structure is established."
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The idea of Order 66 having programming to exclude Anakin doesn't make a ton of sense to me. The chips would have been put in the clones from the first batch. Attack of the Clones stated the order to make the clones was done 10 years before Kenobi discovered them. That would mean the order probably came either during or directly after Phantom Menace, when Anakin and Palpatine barely even knew each other, much less had a mentor/student relationship. It would have taken a heck of a lot of foresight to know Anakin would turn dark and side with him.

I guess it could be waved off as "dark side powers" but I don't really buy it. I'd always just assumed the order was only to kill Jedi as Palpatine was Sith and didn't want the troopers turning on him. When Order 66 came, Anakin was already Sith so the troopers wouldn't turn in him.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The idea of Order 66 having programming to exclude Anakin doesn't make a ton of sense to me. The chips would have been put in the clones from the first batch. Attack of the Clones stated the order to make the clones was done 10 years before Kenobi discovered them. That would mean the order probably came either during or directly after Phantom Menace, when Anakin and Palpatine barely even knew each other, much less had a mentor/student relationship. It would have taken a heck of a lot of foresight to know Anakin would turn dark and side with him.

I guess it could be waved off as "dark side powers" but I don't really buy it. I'd always just assumed the order was only to kill Jedi as Palpatine was Sith and didn't want the troopers turning on him. When Order 66 came, Anakin was already Sith so the troopers wouldn't turn in him.
    I guess there wouldn't be any need to kill "Darth Vader."

Mighty Member

Anakin leads clone troops into the Jedi Temple to begin the Purge. After Order 66. Clearly, there was some means for Palpatine to exempt Anakin. I doubt it was anything pre-programmed, as even Palpatine probably wasn't that arrogant. Order 66 itself seemed to cause the clones to immediately regard the Jedi and anyone helping them as traitors, thus encouraging them to use lethal force on them. So Palpatine probably just had to explicitly exclude Anakin by vouching for his loyalty. And the whole problem is resolved on Mustafar anyway, as armored Vader is essentially an entirely different person as far as the galaxy is concerned, clones included.

From what we've seen, it appeared to be a voice trigger, which somehow enabled the chips to overwrite the clones with prepared programming. Making the clones utterly loyal to Palpatine, and Palpatine alone, while viewing the Jedi and any who aid them as traitors to the Republic. Both in Revenge of the Sith and The Clone Wars S7, the clones respond instantly to the verbal command to 'Execute Order 66'. The only exception we've seen is Tup, whose chip malfunctioned and triggered the programming early and without a command, but with the same results.

It's unclear how long the programming override lasts. Will the clones react murderously to any Jedi they meet for the rest of their lives? Does it switch off like a power saver mode after a while? Can it be reinvoked at a later time? In Rebels, Rex is hanging out with two other old clone troopers who don't instantly want to kill Kanan and Ezra, but who it's implied did turn on their Jedi at the end of the Clone Wars. Since Rex likely removed their chips, that could be why the don't still fall under the order's controls. The aftermath portion has never really been explored. Maybe that's a place for The Bad Batch to wander.
    Last edited by ZeroBG82; 07-30-2020 at 09:04 PM.