Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

They actually made a female Jango Fett clone? I want her to meet Boba .

Mighty Member

Really looking forward to this as I enjoyed the Batch during their introduction in the last season of CW. I'm hoping Ahsoka/Obi-Wan and Vader pop up here somewhere.

iMan 42s

So I'm seeing some things about Omega being the last clone and I have to ask..., HOW?

Even with the Darth Vader books this doesn't make any sense because assuming she's the last of the living DNA source that'd only make her 6 and they started running thin during the war after Jango died. And frankly that means that as they're running out of DNA nobody ever went back to Jango who lives ON SITE to get more.

Assuming she's the last to be trained makes a bit more sense but they've still got embryos and cadets younger than her so how is she the last clone?

The million more on the way line is a lot less impressive when you consider that as Obi Wan showed up they ran out of Jango juice.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    So I'm seeing some things about Omega being the last clone and I have to ask..., HOW?

Even with the Darth Vader books this doesn't make any sense because assuming she's the last of the living DNA source that'd only make her 6 and they started running thin during the war after Jango died. And frankly that means that as they're running out of DNA nobody ever went back to Jango who lives ON SITE to get more.

Assuming she's the last to be trained makes a bit more sense but they've still got embryos and cadets younger than her so how is she the last clone?

The million more on the way line is a lot less impressive when you consider that as Obi Wan showed up they ran out of Jango juice.
    I guess they'll probably explain it in the show itself.

iMan 42s

So turns out they don't explain Omega and the last of the clones and she's Omega for a different reason though I don't think anyone who is a fan of Republic Commandos will like the implications here.

The show bafflingly starts with a few continuity errors and while I wont give spoilers almost the entire first sequence is wrong and the timeline is heavily condensed going from Obi Wan confronting Grievous to Order 66 in a matter of minutes. Which is actually kind of hard to do for the events planetside given that whole sequence has been covered so how the Hell Filoni managed to **** that up is anyone's guess. Basically it's like this to facilitate the Batch even being present but you'd think they'd even get the clone trooper legion colors correct, which they don't. It's red damnit why are they green?

Otherwise the show is fine though the spoiler about Crosshair going rogue (and no I wont bother with a spoiler tag given it's in trailers, the black series toys, and Lego spoiled it) is actually a bit weird here given they never show any patriotism out of him. The show implies he's working for the Empire but it's just that his chip works albeit barely and he's under orders. Then they make the chip work harder (somehow) and he gets a new suit and I have to wonder if they just had that suit laying around. It kind of deflates the villain a little if your bad guy is basically a blank slate who has no say in the matter. Also, also why the clones are reacting the way they do I have no idea. The order wears off. They don't remain indefinitely in Order 66 mode. They wear off and the clone returns to normal duties. So basically by the time we finally got an explantion for how the order even works Bad Batch screws that up.

Overall though it is a solid episode even if god forbid Filoni is consistent. Bad continuity aside the show is fine B+ if only because of how frustrating the order constantly changing is, the super condensed sequence of events is, and how the Bad Batch had been badly inserted into the timeline here. It's like fitting a Square into a triangular hole it just doesn't work. But the episode itself is pretty good with solid moments out of everyone.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

So turns out they don't explain Omega and the last of the clones and she's Omega for a different reason though I don't think anyone who is a fan of Republic Commandos will like the implications here.

The show bafflingly starts with a few continuity errors and while I wont give spoilers almost the entire first sequence is wrong and the timeline is heavily condensed going from Obi Wan confronting Grievous to Order 66 in a matter of minutes. Which is actually kind of hard to do for the events planetside given that whole sequence has been covered so how the Hell Filoni managed to **** that up is anyone's guess. Basically it's like this to facilitate the Batch even being present but you'd think they'd even get the clone trooper legion colors correct, which they don't. It's red damnit why are they green?

Otherwise the show is fine though the spoiler about Crosshair going rogue (and no I wont bother with a spoiler tag given it's in trailers, the black series toys, and Lego spoiled it) is actually a bit weird here given they never show any patriotism out of him. The show implies he's working for the Empire but it's just that his chip works albeit barely and he's under orders. Then they make the chip work harder (somehow) and he gets a new suit and I have to wonder if they just had that suit laying around. It kind of deflates the villain a little if your bad guy is basically a blank slate who has no say in the matter. Also, also why the clones are reacting the way they do I have no idea. The order wears off. They don't remain indefinitely in Order 66 mode. They wear off and the clone returns to normal duties. So basically by the time we finally got an explantion for how the order even works Bad Batch screws that up.

Overall though it is a solid episode even if god forbid Filoni is consistent. Bad continuity aside the show is fine B+ if only because of how frustrating the order constantly changing is, the super condensed sequence of events is, and how the Bad Batch had been badly inserted into the timeline here. It's like fitting a Square into a triangular hole it just doesn't work. But the episode itself is pretty good with solid moments out of everyone.
    I haven't seen episode 1 yet. But you say Filoni messed up continuity errors. Look, Order 66 and the fallout was extensively covered in Episode III and the Clone Wars series. So why would it need to be extensively covered in The Bad Batch? You know what happens if you've seen the movie/show. It covers these characters after that event has happened or not long after. Covering it yet again for the third time seems like overkill. Seems like you're being a little nitpicky.

Mighty Member

This was really good. I absolutely love the voice cast credits, with the entire Bad Batch getting a single voice credit.

Omega is an interesting addition. Dialoge from the episode seems to suggest that she is, in fact, a Jango Fett clone. But nothing definitive so far, so that could change as we move forward. spoilers:
    It sure looks like she is a quick learner. Maybe even on the order of Marvel's Taskmaster. Tech mentioned her being hyper perceptive being a possible side effect of her clone mutation, so maybe that's what's in play. So she can shoot like Crosshair, and it looks like she was learning how to pilot the ship by watching Tech at the end.
    end of spoilers

You have the timeline wrong, is all. spoilers:
    Tech has reports about Obi-Wan engaging Grievous, which means it was already happening. Most of the battle of Utapau was probably over by the time we see the events depicted here. So the Order 66 timing is fine.

As for the rest of the sequence, this works just fine as Kanan's origin story. I have already decided that the comic version is going in my head-canon as Kanan's certain point of view. Our memories are dangerously malleable things, after all. How he remembers the single most traumatic moment of his entire life is bound to be a bit skewed in hindsight.
    end of spoilers

iMan 42s

The issue is that grievous was dead once order 66 was given. Meaning that stating he’s engaged grievous is different than he is already dead. It’s also happens very condensed with it being almost a minute later the Jedi are getting gunned down.

And frankly that still doesn’t work with the comic as events have changed and we see things outside Caleb’s view. It’s a continuity error.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Tarkin is the reason the Empire doesn't have clone troopers. The Empire really did shoot themselves in the foot from day one.

Mighty Member

The issue is that grievous was dead once order 66 was given. Meaning that stating heÂ’s engaged grievous is different than he is already dead. ItÂ’s also happens very condensed with it being almost a minute later the Jedi are getting gunned down.
    That's simple enough to handwave away. If Tech is getting his info from Clone Intelligence, they simply aren't yet aware that Obi-Wan has defeated Grevious already. It could have happened hours ago, but that information hasn't filtered into whatever sources Tech is monitoring yet. I'd have to go back and check, but I'm fairly certain that neither Ahsoka nor Rex mention the outcome of the Battle of Utapau before Order 66 hits even though they weren't in active combat (as the forces we saw here were). It's going to take time for information like that to disseminate. I don't think there's anything in the scene that mucks about with the timing at all. Tech's reference merely gives us a sense of general timing, not a specific one. Order 66, on the other hand, is quite specific. But the don't conflict in this case, because the specific timing follows the general one as it must.

And frankly that still doesnÂ’t work with the comic as events have changed and we see things outside CalebÂ’s view. ItÂ’s a continuity error.
    Oh noes, a continuity error. The films couldn't even manage to remain as precisely consistent with themselves as you're asking for through the OT and the PT. When you bounce around a timeline like this, you just have to shrug stuff like this off. Hell sometimes even when going from one film to it's direct sequel. Or things like how Leia can possibly remember her mother when she's talking to the brother she made out with will drive you nuts.

It IS a change, sure. But it's not one that overrides the intent of the comic sequence, only the specifics. It's no different than the changes made between the Ahsoka novel and the actual playing out of the final arc of The Clone Wars. Or the idea of Maul surviving Naboo at all. Easy enough to chalk it up to a different point of view and move on. To require every detail to wind up exactly matching across every source even as you bounce across different points of time like this is not only incredibly difficult, but it stifles creativity. The new version not only accomplishes the same function as the comic take, but it adds naunce as Caleb's eventual fear of the clones years later not only still makes perfect sense, but becomes slightly ironic considering Hunter saved his life.

I just don't see why the people in charge of telling these stories should be expected to match every single word of every single page or panel ever produced at all times. It doesn't bother me when comics do it overly much, it's not going to bother me when Star Wars does it. Now, if they go back and reveal that Chewie is the secret Sith Lord who trained Palpatine, ok, then I'll be right there with you. Something like that completely alters a character and undermines the intent of the previous works. (I'm looking at you, Ben Solo in The Last Jedi, when I say that. Completely throws out the characterization from TFA, and replaces it with an utterly incompatible reinterpretation.)

iMan 42s

Then I guess **** continuity then.

Yeah, although Disney's continuity is relatively new there's still hiccups here and there. For example I'm reading the Tarkin novel right now, lots of talk about the Death Star of course but no mention whatsoever of Krennic, Erso etc..
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Then I guess **** continuity then.
    Really? A relatively minor retcon, that changes nothing about the characters involved, to you means "**** continuity then?"

Real world example. I have a friend who tells this story about our high school graduation. He's told it the same way since we were teens. Everybody we know has heard this story, probably more than once. A few years back we found video of the event in question, and it turns out that he's been telling the story wrong the entire time. The core themes of the thing, the impact it had on him and all of us remain unchanged, it just turns out the details weren't quite right. Does that mean **** the time-space continuum?

Nobody is suggesting that continuity shouldn't be maintained. But there's a vast, vast gulf between general continuity and thematic consistency and being true to the most minute of details. One makes a world feel real, lived in, and familiar. The other one crushes creativity and bogs everything down.

Hell, Star Wars once threw out the entire EU! Which rarely managed to be consistent with it's continuity while it was at it. Lots of cooks, lots of kitchens and all that.

As an aside, and my final comment on this subject before I let you get back to your doomsaying: Dave Filoni et al created Kanan. This is their version of the story. Should we take this version, or the version written by a totally unrelated writer with substantially less invested in the character as the definite version?

Was a good starter.

Felt the Bad Batch arc in season 7 was ok but more impressed with them here since they're able to flesh them out more.

Did they do a new Clone Wars based logo change? I don't remember Grievous' face being in the mask slideshow for Mando.

The Clone Wars transition into The Bad Batch felt poignant.

I'm kind of disappointed they showed Anakin and Obi-Wan saving the Chancellor but didn't show any of the Dooku fight. Also, Grievous is once again there for two seconds just to show off that new model. I feel like that speculation they might be doing a movie with Crystal Crisis is on the money if only to explain away them making a new Grievous model they barely do anything with.

Man, I wasn't expecting to hear Tom Kane narrating again. I guess he did this before his stroke (I hope he's recovering okay). But it was nice to hear him again .

I feel bad for people who purchased the Kanan comic and then seeing the events depicted here. I mean, it's still a good comic, but it's kind of disappointing that they retcon what happened just to shove the Bad Batch in there (and get some lightsaber and Clone Trooper colors wrong). It's not that I didn't want to see what happened to Kanan and Depa Billaba actually happen on-screen but I don't feel like the depiction here really did it better than the comic did. It was such a personal moment to Caleb and then they just throw the Bad Batch in there. I get why they went with Caleb/Kanan for name recognition, but it didn't even feel like it needed to be him. I felt like it was just a bit of fanservice that hurt more than it helped in terms of taking a knock at this being a mass-media franchise where the other media actually count.

So was Crosshairs caught the moment Tech mentioned Order 66?

I'm still kind of curious about Omega's deal. Is she a female Jango Fett clone? They were never quite clear on that. And is she Force sensitive? Beyond being perceptive, she seemed to know what they were going to do to Crosshairs before it happened to him and that his chip was already effecting him.

So the Empire phased out the Clone Troopers because they cost too much to make. Beyond the ongoing politics with Kamino, I love how Palpatine being cheap ended up paying off for the Rebellion .

I wonder if they're eventually going to send Vader after the Bad Batch or if he's too busy hunting Jedi and the events of the Vader comic to be worth sending him after them. Or maybe they stumble onto Vader and the Inquisitors hunting Jedi.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    As an aside, and my final comment on this subject before I let you get back to your doomsaying: Dave Filoni et al created Kanan. This is their version of the story. Should we take this version, or the version written by a totally unrelated writer with substantially less invested in the character as the definite version?
    Isn't it the other way around? Filoni gave the showrunner permission to use Caleb/Kanan but I don't think he was personally involved with writing it.

Greg Weisman, who wrote the comic, was involved with season 1 of Rebels. I forget if he also wrote one of the Kanan novels.