Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The better question: Will they also throw in Tom Paris in the finale?
    I loved the Boimler/Rutherford interaction about Nick's Paris resemblance. Granted, it was just a rehash of the Brandon Routh jokes in DC;s Crisis TV series, but self referential jokes are a staple of lower decks.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Great finale and Tendy is for sure my second favorite character? Maybe tied with Mariner? T'Ana is staying on board, nice call, grow the Lower Decks main group by one. Especially with Tendy unaccounted for maybe for a few episodes.
    I loved the look on Tendy's face as the fade to black occurred. Mariner was great in the scenes with Nick and the chase sequences. I enjoyed the art for the Genesis device.
    The convo about looking like Tom Paris was fantastic.
    Ready for S5 as soon as they can get it done!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Rather amusing and perhaps fitting that the character who previously got Mariner out of her blues, right in time for the events in the season finale, was the Klingon counterpart to Boimler.

Just watched the season finale. I liked it. Boimler suddenly so confident as acting captain was a nice touch. Mariner coming around to being more stable. Love T'ana staying on board.

The Locarno/Paris riff between Boimler and Rutherford was amusing.

Tying Mariner to Sito was a superb touch but I wish Locarno hadn't been still stuck on being a whiny little crybaby because he got rightly kicked out of Starfleet.

I wonder how long Tendi will be gone from the Cerritos.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

At the risk of beating the Wrath of Khan comparison jokes to death...

Probably going to be a while but I'm looking forward to the Lower Decks version of the Final Frontier poster (all the seasons pretty much have a parody of the movie poster).

Wonder if they'll do this one instead of the regular Kirk/Spock/Enterprise/"Army of light" poster.

chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I loved the look on Tendy's face as the fade to black occurred.
    That determined look gives me the impression that the Mistress of the Winter Constellation is going to be so very Orion that her sister is going to willingly send her back just to get rid of the competition for her seat!

And I also loved the conversation about Tom Paris, and all the little homages, like the Engineer flipping out over a dismissal of the Cerritos as a 'mere support vessel,' the Captain telling the crew she was about to defy orders and maybe get them all court-martialed and asking for volunteers, or the expanding smoke rings around the explosion at the end, just like in the end of Wrath of Khan.

And Bynars! Always wanted to see more of them. "Wait, trynar? You can have three of them?" Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    That determined look gives me the impression that the Mistress of the Winter Constellation is going to be so very Orion that her sister is going to willingly send her back just to get rid of the competition for her seat!

And I also loved the conversation about Tom Paris, and all the little homages, like the Engineer flipping out over a dismissal of the Cerritos as a 'mere support vessel,' the Captain telling the crew she was about to defy orders and maybe get them all court-martialed and asking for volunteers, or the expanding smoke rings around the explosion at the end, just like in the end of Wrath of Khan.

And Bynars! Always wanted to see more of them. "Wait, trynar? You can have three of them?" Ha.
    Honestly I really hope Tendi puts the screws into her sister. She really annoyed me in this episode.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly I really hope Tendi puts the screws into her sister. She really annoyed me in this episode.
    And it would totally fit the vibe Tendi's trying to sell for her to be 100% a ruthless Orion cut-throat badass when nobody from the Cerritos is around to see it, and her washing the blood off, putting her Starfleet uniform back on, and acting like perky little Tendi again, whose sister just sort of 'changed her mind, tee-hee' for her friends.

It would be kind of interesting to find out that Tendi scored *amazing* in her Starfleet Academy courses, and totally should have been assigned to a higher tier ship, just based on her scores, but ended up on a support ship like the Cerritos because some people were a little 'meh' on trusting an Orion and kept kicking her down the chain until Captain Freeman was like 'eh, why not?'...
    Last edited by Sutekh; 11-06-2023 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Great finale and Tendy is for sure my second favorite character? Maybe tied with Mariner? T'Ana is staying on board, nice call, grow the Lower Decks main group by one. Especially with Tendy unaccounted for maybe for a few episodes.
    T'ana is the doctor, T'lyn is the Vulcan

Tendy is my favorite character. Peanut Hamper coming a very close second.

Everything about this show just hits for me. I didnt think I would like it at first. But the humor the easter eggs the writing is spot on. Everything about this show is a win.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Tendy is my favorite character. Peanut Hamper coming a very close second.

Everything about this show just hits for me. I didn't think I would like it at first. But the humor the easter eggs the writing is spot on. Everything about this show is a win.
    I love that they make such fun of the Star Trek tropes, but are absolutely doing so from a place of respect and love, like a bunch of fans, not being mean spirited about it.

I love that they make such fun of the Star Trek tropes, but are absolutely doing so from a place of respect and love, like a bunch of fans, not being mean spirited about it.
    There's a fine line between laughing AT and laughing WITH. Lower Decks does a great job of not crossing that line.

And it would totally fit the vibe Tendi's trying to sell for her to be 100% a ruthless Orion cut-throat badass when nobody from the Cerritos is around to see it, and her washing the blood off, putting her Starfleet uniform back on, and acting like perky little Tendi again, whose sister just sort of 'changed her mind, tee-hee' for her friends.

It would be kind of interesting to find out that Tendi scored *amazing* in her Starfleet Academy courses, and totally should have been assigned to a higher tier ship, just based on her scores, but ended up on a support ship like the Cerritos because some people were a little 'meh' on trusting an Orion and kept kicking her down the chain until Captain Freeman was like 'eh, why not?'...
    Tendi in her appearances has shown herself to be far more competent than she lets on. All of the Lower Deckers have shown themselves to be extremely good at their jobs when not being played for comedy. One could (although God knows why anyone would want to) edit out the comedy parts and have a very nice progression of junior officers from different backgrounds growing and developing into senior Starfleet Officers. Tendi can be a badass. She's NOT a badass, but she can be if that is what's needed. Similar claims can be said about Boimler, Rutheford, and Mariner. They trust and like each other, but at this point, they're not that knowledgeable of the others' capabilities. Kirk knows what Spock and Scotty can do and is rarely surprised. Same goes for Picard with Riker and the D crew. They're learning and it's a beautiful progression.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Tendi in her appearances has shown herself to be far more competent than she lets on. All of the Lower Deckers have shown themselves to be extremely good at their jobs when not being played for comedy. One could (although God knows why anyone would want to) edit out the comedy parts and have a very nice progression of junior officers from different backgrounds growing and developing into senior Starfleet Officers. Tendi can be a badass. She's NOT a badass, but she can be if that is what's needed. Similar claims can be said about Boimler, Rutheford, and Mariner. They trust and like each other, but at this point, they're not that knowledgeable of the others' capabilities. Kirk knows what Spock and Scotty can do and is rarely surprised. Same goes for Picard with Riker and the D crew. They're learning and it's a beautiful progression.
    Very insightful. They really are kind of exceptional. Rutherford just straight-up invented his own sentient AI, which could pilot entire starships by itself. Yikes! Mariner's always been such an obvious outlier that it sort of outshone the others, but Rutherford and Tendi have really also come into their own.

And Boimler's time will surely come, it's not a leader's job to be the best at any one thing, the best engineer, the best fighter, the best scientist, etc., it's the captain's job to bring out the best in their crew and get them working together, and, based on that, from what we've been shown, Boimler is perhaps the best-positioned of the Lower Deckers to be an eventual Captain.

Boimler kind of lives up to that old description of (pre-Captain) Kirk, back in his Academy days, 'He had no time for anything, just a big walking pile of books...'