Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Looks like the new X-files series just announced might be following the example of this show.
    Taken from the TV Line article.....https://tvline.com/2020/08/28/x-file...ff-series-fox/

"Rocky Russo and Jeremy Sosenko (Netflix’s Paradise PD) will pen the pilot and serve as EPs alongside Carter and former X-Files scribe Gabe Rotter. "

((Watches Paradise PD))

I'm am willing to give them money to not make this show. I know times have been lean for Chris Carter...but working with the Paradise PD guys?!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I am not championing any formula.
    I criticized the formula.
    You defended it's use.
    My Whole post you quoted was me pointing out and criticizing the formula for what it is, and however it's used; you can flip the genders and ethnicity today, and that will never make it a good formula, for me that is not how you write interesting competent characters.
    That formula is transparent, garbage, and makes the lead character look, weak, not strong and competent.
    YOU chose to defend it's popular use today.
    I indicated the Trek episodes and characters I enjoyed that didn't need that garbage transparent formula, and were better for it, moved beyond it.
    You ignored those characters, as if they didn't exist and weren't part of Trek.
    And you instead jumped back in time in an attempt to defend your justification and championing the use of the formula today.
    That was you!

Today's "formula" how to write strong competent characters: :
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I like the fact that she is very competent and emasculates her white male co-worker.
    Again; If this shallow formula is what you need to make her look competent works for you (even in jest), swallow up!

Also the show has allot more problems than that simple transparent popular formula LOL!
    The whole thing reads like screechy annoying fans inserting themselves as characters into the show, and yelling look how important we are.
    The two lead characters are the worst.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-29-2020 at 05:58 AM.

Again, I was not defending the formula or the show - I never did that. I never said the show was good (can you find where I actually said the show was good?). I was saying that the formula has been around for a long time, and it has never been good and you described it as a "trend". And just because there were shows that didn't use the formula doesn't mean it wasn't being used in many other places, not just Trek. The formula used to be used to prop up straight white male characters - perhaps not as blatantly, (usually) but it did. The main question I had for you was - how is it not the same formula even though it was used to maintain a status quo then as opposed to attempting to upend the status quo now? You acknowledge it was always bad - fine, that's what I was asking. And thanks for mentioning DS9 - where Sisko wasn't even allowed to literally be equal to previous Star Trek leads until he was promoted to Captain at the end of the 3rd season.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-29-2020 at 06:15 AM.

Right, so he's Commanding Officer of the most important station, volatile nexus of the Trek universe at the time.
    But you think that role diminishes him? Why?
    And when he brings the space fight also captain of his own ship.
    But to you that's a slight and put down on the character. LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-29-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Right, so he's Commanding Officer of the most important station, volatile nexus of the Trek universe at the time.
    But you think that role diminishes him? Why?
    And when he brings the space fight also captain of his own ship.
    But to you that's a slight and put down on the character. LOL!
    He held the rank of Commander - Kirk and Picard held the rank of Captain. They were literally his superiors. If you want to rail against Lower Decks but not acknowledge the more subtle use of it in other places, go ahead - enjoy your convenient and selective outrage.

Yeah Sisko never needed that formula, I never once read Sisko's character as lesser then the others or diminished by his position or story arc the way you do.
    Again that's all you. Good luck with your outrage, and the new show and formula written I guess for you and those who saw him that way. LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-29-2020 at 08:34 AM.

Well, finally tried that...thing...and yeah, it's pretty awful.

Abrams' Star Trek level of bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Yeah Sisko never needed that formula, I never once read Sisko's character as lesser then the others or diminished by his position or story arc the way you do.
    Again that's all you. Good luck with your outrage, and the new show and formula written I guess for you and those who saw him that way. LOL!
    We seem to be having two different discussions. It's not about Sisko needing the formula - it's about how the formula was used to promote straight white male exceptionalism for decades, yet all you champions for "good writing" seem to not have a problem with that. And I will say it one more time then be done: the formula is never good - not then and not now. Hence, this show is not written for me.

I finally got an opportunity to watch the latest episodes and my kinometre was off the charts. This show is the best Star Trek since Enterprise.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Today's episode was hilarious. There were a few moments that I had to go back and relisten to because I couldn't stop laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Today's episode was hilarious. There were a few moments that I had to go back and relisten to because I couldn't stop laughing
    I'm also loving how it's calling for a bit more leeway about those strict Starfleet standards we see in those other shows. They apply to the senior staff for a reason, but non-senior staff have to grow to their level of competency.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

"Um, my best...?"

Oh, the feels.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

This is the best Trek anything in the past 10 years
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-25-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    This is the best Trek anything in the past 10 years
    I don't know about all that, but I did get around to seeing the first two episodes after not liking the trailer and it is a really solid show. I doubt I'll ever say it's my favorite Trek show but it's definitely good TV.

Incredible Member

I almost smiled at one point in the last episode. Maybe my sense of humor is dead, but I haven't even cracked a smile in the 8 episodes I've watch. I keep watching in the hope it gets funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Allan View Post
    I almost smiled at one point in the last episode. Maybe my sense of humor is dead, but I haven't even cracked a smile in the 8 episodes I've watch. I keep watching in the hope it gets funny.
    To each their own, and I'm definitely not going to tell you that you must like something that you don't, but I just flashback to all those "jokes" in Insurrection and how tepid, uncreative, square, forced, and just downright unfunny they were. It makes me appreciate Lower Decks that much more.

Now, of course, me saying that doesn't mean I'm implying that you like Insurrection either (or maybe you do? That's cool. Again, to each their own). It's just that Trek has such a long hit-or-miss record with comedy -- one reason why I'm not as enamored with the EMH as most other Trekkies -- that I find the show refreshing.