Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    In my experience people who pass off rumors, especially ones about things they don't like, are doing so in bad faith and to poison the well.
    They are a channel that specializes in genre entertainment. You expect to pass up a point of discussion? Also, who's poisoning the well here? From what I've online when it comes to Star Trek discussion a lot of fans point the finger at Alex Kurtzman.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Hmmm...I have never heard of these sites. Thanks for bringing them up.
    No problem! They may not be everyone's cup of tea. If you like them, that's great! If not, that's cool, too, obvs.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Not familiar with Junkball, but Triangulum is a rare gem; positivity but honesty. As a Star Trek and Star Wars fan, it's hard to find stuff online that's not hostile to things the users aren't fond of, flame wars, toxicity, and the like.
    Junkball is tongue in cheek observations and factoids about Trek (and the occasional other franchise), and reviews of various toys and models, but it's the same guy behind Triangulum. It's pretty goofy but fun.

But obviously he's more focused on Triangulum's material, so there isn't as much Junkball.

Didn't like the organization of that site as well, but they had some good stuff (funny how Stardestroyer devoted a piece of his site just to attacking this guy). I think the site's author passed away, hence why the site has kinda run down. While the family's loss is more important, I will agree that the website going into dormancy is a loss for the fandom.
    Oh geeze, that's terrible. Well, I was a fan who spent a lot of good time on there.
    Last edited by Cyke; 07-21-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Have you watched a Midnight Edge video? They don't pass off speculation as fact. They are always mindful of the fact that what they bring up in their channel are rumors that cannot be independently verified. They put up a content warning and everything.
    Yes, I've seen some of them. That is exactly why I know that speculation and fact get mixed up; they do have some labels, but, by the end, they've blended the two to construct the scenario that they then treat as iron-clad. To say nothing of the pet theories that they push, like that so-called alternative license nonsense.

This editorial did a pretty good job breaking things down. Now, maybe the channel has improved their standards since the time I was poking around, but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Junkball is tongue in cheek observations and factoids about Trek (and the occasional other franchise), and reviews of various toys and models, but it's the same guy behind Triangulum. It's pretty goofy but fun.

But obviously he's more focused on Triangulum's material, so there isn't as much Junkball.
    Will have to look for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Oh geeze, that's terrible. Well, I was a fan who spent a lot of good time on there.
    Double-checked, looks like the author's brother has taken over keeping the site updated. Not seeing anything DSC related, but it does sound like adding PIC stuff will happen down the road.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It looks okay. There is a lot of potential for comedy in a Star Trek setting, as seen in Futurama, and you can do a lot of fan service in a show like this.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Weblurker, the quotes you attributed to me was actually from Cyke. He is the guy with the knowledge of those sites.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Weblurker, the quotes you attributed to me was actually from Cyke. He is the guy with the knowledge of those sites.
    Sorry, cut and paste mistake.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Who watched episode one? The reception is looking universally negative.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Who watched episode one? The reception is looking universally negative.
    I watched it. The episode was awful. Basically, Lower Decks is Red Dwarf meets Rick & Morty but somehow without any wit or humor or biting social commentary. One of the main characters is so hyperactive you can barely keep up with her dialogue at times. Everyone randomly uses profanity for no reason except to be "edgy". Characters talk over each other. The crew, I **** you not, gets attacked by zombies! Another character gets pseudo-molested by a space spider in gruesome, slimy fashion! The writing is super lazy. The characters are bad stereotypes. The jokes are juvenile and not funny (poop gags are the primary type). There is a "twist" in the end anyone could see coming from a light-year away. I would not watch this show if I were you, or anyone else for that matter.

0 out of 5 stars (my first zero rating ever) - ultimate trash tier.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-07-2020 at 07:20 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

I loved it. It's a bit rough, which isn't surprising for a first ep, but the framework is there.

By now I take it you have all seen the trailer to the new animated Trek series Lower Decks. You folks remember when Seth MacFarlane was making The Orville and everyone sneered at it and said it would be Family Guy in space? Well, The Orville turned out to be a great dramedy while still honoring Trek because MacFarlane is a huge Trekkie.

If you are looking for a "Family Guy In Space" then Lower Decks looks to be the show you want. Nothing wrong with that, check out my avatar. I just find it amusing that MacFarlane originally pitched CBS to do Star Trek but was turned down. I wonder if the folks in charge of Trek at CBS is looking at what Kurtzman has wrought and what MacFarlane has been able to do without the Trek brand and then seeing this attempt at a Trek cartoon and remembering MacFarlane's work in animation. Combine that with a peek at Metacritic and maybe CBS is starting to think that maybe they bet on the wrong horse? Discovery gets 72 from the critics and a 3.9 from users. The Orville gets 36 from critics but an 8.7 from users. Picard gets a 76 from critics and a 4.2 from users.
    I was just watching 'Cause and Effect' from season 5 of TNG, and the blu-ray set has a commentary track with Seth McFarland. And when you hear him talk about the show, you can feel his love of it coming through.

This series, though- this is pretty much everything I hate. Maybe it will do well, and I hope it finds its audience, but it's not for me.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

If Rick and Morty is a parody of sorts of Back to the Future, then Lower Decks in that it's parodying Star Trek but with the actual Star Trek banner. It's just definitely not as good as Rick and Morty. Not awful, but certainly not great.

The pilot was officially released on YouTube for free as a limited time offer.

(All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The pilot was officially released on YouTube for free as a limited time offer.

Even at a cost of zero dollars, it's priced too high. We should be paid to watch this ****.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-15-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Even at a cost of zero dollars, it's priced too high. We should be paid to watch this ****.
    This makes me wish for a like button. I think $15 to watch it would be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    This makes me wish for a like button. I think $15 to watch it would be fair.
    Don't get me wrong, I like new media (mostly). Overall I'm a fan of the new Star Wars Trilogy and I simply adore the Mandalorian but this is just trash that dishonors the legacy of what came before. The Orville or Galaxy Quest are Star Trek type comedy done right. Poor Star Trek deserves much better, and so do we fans.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-15-2020 at 05:49 PM.