Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The pilot was officially released on YouTube for free as a limited time offer
    The biggest problem with this show is Mariner. She is a terrible character. If they would just drop her from the show it could become watchable. The problem is she is the star of the show and animation works ahead of schedule so they can't pull a Tasha Yar and off her.

When you drop such a horrible character right in the middle of a show it's going to make it hard for the show to catch on. You would think they would have learned this lesson with Discovery...but...nahhhh.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Even at a cost of zero dollars, it's priced too high. We should be paid to watch this ****.
    I got paid to watch it.

I asked for my money back.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Didn't actually think the show was that bad. Heck, I'd argue that, in terms of pilots, it was one of the better ones in the franchise in terms of introducing us to the lead characters, the setting, the tone, etc. Also, don't really get how it "disrespects" the franchise. Heck, if anything, I think a case can be made that it worships the franchise too much (while keeping things grounded enough to fit in the world of the live action installments was probably the right call since it is fully canon, I can't help but wonder if making it non-canon and going full hog with the crazy goofiness that the franchise's world lends itself to would've made a better show).

If nothing else, doesn't the show deserve the chance to prove itself, like its predecessors did? Heck, even The Orville, of which this show seems to parallel the most (albeit focusing on junior officers instead of the bridge crew and being set in the actual Star Trek universe instead of an off-brand version of it) had a rough start before finding its footing.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Didn't actually think the show was that bad. Heck, I'd argue that, in terms of pilots, it was one of the better ones in the franchise in terms of introducing us to the lead characters, the setting, the tone, etc. Also, don't really get how it "disrespects" the franchise. Heck, if anything, I think a case can be made that it worships the franchise too much (while keeping things grounded enough to fit in the world of the live action installments was probably the right call since it is fully canon, I can't help but wonder if making it non-canon and going full hog with the crazy goofiness that the franchise's world lends itself to would've made a better show).

If nothing else, doesn't the show deserve the chance to prove itself, like its predecessors did? Heck, even The Orville, of which this show seems to parallel the most (albeit focusing on junior officers instead of the bridge crew and being set in the actual Star Trek universe instead of an off-brand version of it) had a rough start before finding its footing.
    People these days don't like giving things chances. It's "impress them in 5 minutes or get off their internet". I could kinda respect leaving it there. I have a much harder time respecting people who this show clearly isn't for showing up here only to crap on it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    People these days don't like giving things chances. It's "impress them in 5 minutes or get off their internet". I could kinda respect leaving it there. I have a much harder time respecting people who this show clearly isn't for showing up here only to crap on it.
    In that case I think Star Trek is not the franchise for them as usually takes a while for a new show to find its feet. TNG and DS9's first two seasons with the exception of a handful of episodes were awful. Voyager was pretty decent from the start but even with the uptick in quality in season 4 it never consistently went anything more than decent.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    In that case I think Star Trek is not the franchise for them as usually takes a while for a new show to find its feet. TNG and DS9's first two seasons with the exception of a handful of episodes were awful. Voyager was pretty decent from the start but even with the uptick in quality in season 4 it never consistently went anything more than decent.
    Actually, I've enjoyed every Star Trek from go until Lower Decks. But I'm an odd duck, I liked Star Wars Resistance and Star Wars The Freemaker Adventures which most Star Wars fans hated. Were Resistance and the Freemaker Adventures top-notch storytelling, hell no, but I still found them enjoyable for what they were: silly kids shows set in the Star Wars universe. What it boils down to with me is Resistance and the Freemaker Adventures weren't trying and failing to be (bad) clones of Ricky & Morty like Lower Decks is.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-16-2020 at 12:15 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

There's so much good content out there to consume no one got the time to waste for something to get good if it ever does. If it doesn't click from the get go then drop it
    Last edited by Immortal Weapon; 08-16-2020 at 04:18 PM.

Or maybe the people are actually still in the process of actually giving Discovery and Picard a chance.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

No one is entitled to my time or money, it is the job of the show to attract viewers with the promos and trailers and keep them if they give their show a try.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    No one is entitled to my time or money, it is the job of the show to attract viewers with the promos and trailers and keep them if they give their show a try.
    Exactly, bravo, no writer, or showrunner, or company is entitled to anyone's money or time simply because they are a fan of a property or were a fan in the past.

I've never given up on a Star Trek series but I'm close to tapping out on Lower Decks after episode two. It's awful. The writing is lazy & juvenile. Star Trek has always been a cerebral franchise, well, up until now that is.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-16-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Other than the showrunner, I do not get the comparisons to Rick and Morty. It sucks in a way that is very different from the way R&M sucks

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Other than the showrunner, I do not get the comparisons to Rick and Morty. It sucks in a way that is very different from the way R&M sucks
    Probably has to do with the show's look and the style of humor it's going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Bingo, friend, that's exactly it (at least for me). However, the extreme hyperactivity of one of the main characters is far more annoying than any character found in Rick & Morty (which I actually enjoy, to a degree).

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Yeah, it's going for a distinctly un-Rick and Morty style of humor. There's no pretentious meta that crawls up its own ass and dies there, and the comedic sociopathy is extremely toned down compared to Rick and Morty.

So Episode 3 spoiler, but from the showrunner on that last shot:

spoilers:
    Chief O’Brien is the original Lower Decker, moving from an enlisted crewman all the way to professor of engineering at Starfleet Academy. We experienced his full life in Starfleet: his marriage and relationship with Keiko, being a dad and moving up in rank and location, the dynamic between enlisted crew and officers through his friendships with Bashir and Sisko, and the trauma he experienced being a veteran of the Federation-Cardassian War. One could argue Miles O’Brien is the most fully realized character in Star Trek, and we ask, no, demand he be given a statue.

While a nod to Miles might be seen as slight by a casual fan, those of us who spent years watching him grow across two television series know he is, without a doubt, the most important person in Starfleet History.”

end of spoilers

Wellp, I'm sold.

Also, Episodes 2 and 3 seem to be critiques about the amount of attention Burnham gets. Mariner can essentially do everything Burnham can do, but Mariner essentially gets called out about how her antics overshadow other crew members to the detriment of their own growth and roles.

Plus, Episode 3 made it really easy for me to imagine that this is how Tom Paris spent his career on the Exeter before being court-martialed. Buffer time and cutting corners is totally in his wheelhouse, and I wouldn't put it past Harry Kim to do the same had he not been stuck in the DQ (that is, if he were in the relatively cushy security of the AQ). I can also imagine someone like Tucker early in his career, and eventually cutting his teeth until he became one of the premiere engineers of his day.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-21-2020 at 12:09 PM.