Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

This episode was by far the best so far

I tapped out (after episode two). This **** isn't for me and if some leaked truly abysmal ratings (from Canada) are to be believed I ain't alone.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I watched episode one and I found the co-lead annoying af. I can't watch this show if that's how she's gonna be.

Mighty Member

Thanks for the weekly reminder...

For me episode was solid. This seemed like a far better balance to the previous eps.

I know a lot of Trekkies hate this show, but I think its the closest to 90's trek than Discovery and Picard ever was. Episode 3 was really good.

There is a good show underneath all this....dreck. You have three likeable leads in Boimler, Tendi and Rutherford. Unfortunately you have a terrible character almost everyone hates (and not in a love to hate kind of way, just real hate) called Mariner that is killing this show.

The last time I saw a group of writers try this hard to make a hip cool character it was during an episode of The Simpsons and the character was Poochie. The thing about Poochie was that the character was meant to be a joke about lifeless committee thinking and trend chasing. The sad thing about Mariner is that we are really meant to like this character. She is the star of the show. Someone looked at this character and thought that they would be the perfect person to build a show around.

Hope springs eternal. Much like Poochie went back to his home planet maybe the writers will get rid of Mariner. Unfortunately animation works way in advance and the show will probably be canned before that happens.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I watched all three episodes so far and I, uh, actually like the series so far. It's pretty funny, but a lot of the jokes will probably go over normie heads. Mariner is my favourite character thus far, as she is funny and cute. She definitely makes it in my top 10 Star Trek waifu list and I like the fact that she is very competent and emasculates her white male co-worker.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    lifeless committee thinking and trend chasing.
    And today's committee writing trend chasing formula =

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    she is very competent and emasculates her white male co-worker.
    The last two posts sum up exactly what we are dealing with here.

There will always be those who see it for what it is, and those who gobble it up.

Last edited by Güicho; 02-19-2022 at 04:17 PM.

Episode 4 was also pretty great. These characters actually managed to be pretty entertaining in an actual Star Trek plot

Although that ascension joke was pretty Rick and Morty

Yeah, after episode 4, I'm thinking Star Trek is finally back! I'm surprised they were able to cram so much in a single episode and it adds so much to the lore of Star Trek too. I'd rather have Koala god in Star trek than the Reapers from Mass Effect.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Wellp, from now on I'm going to refer to TNG card games as "Report to Executive Poker."

On a side note, I'm reminded of how humor was handled on Voyager -- very nerdy, very forced, a lot of Trek puns; it's one of the reasons why I can't quite like Paris or the EMH (and his *songs*, ugh) as much as other Trekkies. I feel like Lower Decks handles it better because even though it's a cartoon, it's not winking to the audience saying, "See? See?! I made a joke." The humor is much more based on the crew's personalities.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-27-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    And today's committee writing trend chasing formula =

The last two posts sum up exactly what we are dealing with here.

There will always be those who see it for what it is, and those who gobble it up.
    As opposed to "yesterday's corporate dictated establishment-reinforcement formula" = white male hero saves everyone all the time, making everyone else look less than if not outright incompetent? You mean like how that was gobbled up for decades? But I guess some people just see it for what is was and others will always be blind to it...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-28-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Looks like the new X-files series just announced might be following the example of this show.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    As opposed to "yesterday's corporate dictated establishment-reinforcement formula" = white male hero saves everyone all the time, making everyone else look less than if not outright.
    If that's all you saw, that's on you, and you're championing the formula now, not me.
    Sisko and Janeway disagree with you, and were not default written that way.
    The show was better than this shallow formula.
    That's never how they had to be written to show competence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I like the fact that she is very competent and emasculates her white male co-worker.
    If this shallow formula is what you need to make her look competent works for you (even in jest) swallow up!
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-28-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    If that's all you saw, that's on you, and you're championing the formula now, not me.
    Sisko and Janeway disagree with you, and were not default written that way.
    The show was better than this shallow formula.
    That's never how they had to be written to show competence.
    I am not championing any formula. I'm not saying this show is good or that their formula is better than the other formula. I'm saying you're choosing to ignore that there was another, just as forced formula for decades. Yes, there were exceptions to the rule and things did begin to change over time, but if you want to be willfully ignorant to what else was happening (and no, that's not "all" I see, but the promotion of straight white male exceptionalism was part of it), then that's on you.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-28-2020 at 10:51 PM.