Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Could the JLA have a secret X-Force team?

If the JLA had a "Kill Squad", who would be on it and who would be in control of the group? The team doesn't have to full of killers, morally grey characters with a sprinkle of semi-good characters would be fine and used to keep the others in check. I always thought this was a good fit for Ollie or Jason as leader.

I would assume that Batman and Superman would be totally against it. I feel like Wonder Woman/Aquaman would disagree with it but understand
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    If the JLA had a "Kill Squad", who would be on it and who would be in control of the group? The team doesn't have to full of killers, morally grey characters with a sprinkle of semi-good characters would be fine and used to keep the others in check. I always thought this was a good fit for Ollie or Jason as leader.

I would assume that Batman and Superman would be totally against it. I feel like Wonder Woman/Aquaman would disagree with it but understand
    Wasn't that what the JL Elite was?
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I mean the JLA has had some pretty shady characters on its team before. We could have it be a mix of those lead by someone like Aquaman or even Mera. Lobo could be on it, and so could Killer Frost, you could even have Blackfire on it, or a Red Lantern, since they're both in Odyssey. Huntress could work too. I would check it out. For a little bit it felt like Batman's JLA (with Frost) would kinda be a more aggressive team. But that didn't stick.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    That's just what I was going to say.

The Team from the Young Justice cartoon were basically this as well, though they tried to be non-lethal. The original Outsiders are similar but not endorsed by the League. Batman left the JLA and formed that team because there were missions the JLA were refusing to do.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I mean real JLA members. Not characters created just to make the JLA edgy...and then never be seen again. LOL

With the exception of Wally and Ollie the remembers of the Elite were not part of the JL.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 07-13-2020 at 06:28 PM.

Well this isn't so different from the Outsiders back in the day; Batman's covert group to do the dirty work the League wouldn't, or couldn't be seen doing. Not exactly a "kill squad" but not so far removed from it either.

Bruce wouldn't support a kill squad; he'd be down with a covert group but not one that employs lethal force. Clark would dislike the need of a covert group but would support it....but like Bruce would draw the line at killing. Lethal force in self defense is one thing, but Clark's not gonna support executions. Hal too would support a covert squad; it's no different from military ops or cops going undercover, but both he and Barry would disagree on the "kill" part. The League doesn't have any legal authority, so for Hal and Barry this would just be murder. Hell Barry would likely disagree about the need of a covert group in the first place.

Diana and Arthur....they're rulers, well acquainted and trained in the dirtier aspects of politics and peace keeping, so I can see them putting this together.

I agree Ollie would be a good pick here; moral conscience, he's not afraid of lethal force but tries to avoid it when he can.....yeah, he'd be good. I don't see him being a leader though; Ollie is a hot mess of a man and can barely keep his own life stable, much less a team. Make him a member? Absolutely, they need his kind of bleeding heart morality to keep them from sinking deeper than they want to be. Leader? Not so much.

Jason might be good....if you can trust him. Bruce might have let him back into the Cave but this is a secret, League sanctioned kill squad. Would anyone trust Jason enough with that kind of intel? Bruce might, but would the others? I don't see it happening, not when this going public would destroy the entire League. I wouldn't be against his inclusion but, especially if Bruce isn't involved in arranging the roster, I don't think any other Leaguer would want him there.

Nightwing, however, might be a good replacement if Jason isn't an option. He doesn't kill, but he works with people who do (how many Titans have killed a sentient being? Most, if not all, right?) and the fact that Dick *doesn't* kill people means you've got someone cool headed on the roster who can keep the team from racking up a higher body count than necessary. Plus, it's Nightwing. He's one of the most trusted heroes on earth, respected by the entire hero community, if you want a leader you'll find none better, and after all the Spyral stuff we know Dick can keep a secret. Dick wouldn't want to be there, which is why he'd be a great choice to lead the team, he won't let them get lost in the moral ambiguity of their actions.

As for other members.....I know it's fan service-y as hell and nobody likes seeing him forced into the role of hero but....if you want a squad to kill people, and you want it done quiet and done right....you cut Deathstroke a check. The contract is about the closest thing Slade gets to having a church, so if he took the money you'd be able to trust him. You'd just have to lawyer the hell out of that contract to make sure Slade can't wiggle through the terms.

And speaking of lawyering something, I'd also recommend Kate Spencer. She'd be a perfect fit.

Katana is an obvious choice if you can get her away from the Suicide Squad. She's a stone cold killer. Metamorpho *could* be great; the perfect assassin....but I dunno if he'd be comfortable with a kill squad.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah I would say the Justice League Elite would definitely fall under that category. Though I seriously doubt that Superman and Batman would allow them to operate as a "kill squad" and use the name Justice League.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I didn't like Wally on the JLElite team either to be honest.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

And now all I can think of is how cool a Green Arrow and Red Hood book could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well this isn't so different from the Outsiders back in the day; Batman's covert group to do the dirty work the League wouldn't, or couldn't be seen doing. Not exactly a "kill squad" but not so far removed from it either.

Bruce wouldn't support a kill squad; he'd be down with a covert group but not one that employs lethal force. Clark would dislike the need of a covert group but would support it....but like Bruce would draw the line at killing. Lethal force in self defense is one thing, but Clark's not gonna support executions. Hal too would support a covert squad; it's no different from military ops or cops going undercover, but both he and Barry would disagree on the "kill" part. The League doesn't have any legal authority, so for Hal and Barry this would just be murder. Hell Barry would likely disagree about the need of a covert group in the first place.

Diana and Arthur....they're rulers, well acquainted and trained in the dirtier aspects of politics and peace keeping, so I can see them putting this together.

I agree Ollie would be a good pick here; moral conscience, he's not afraid of lethal force but tries to avoid it when he can.....yeah, he'd be good. I don't see him being a leader though; Ollie is a hot mess of a man and can barely keep his own life stable, much less a team. Make him a member? Absolutely, they need his kind of bleeding heart morality to keep them from sinking deeper than they want to be. Leader? Not so much.

Jason might be good....if you can trust him. Bruce might have let him back into the Cave but this is a secret, League sanctioned kill squad. Would anyone trust Jason enough with that kind of intel? Bruce might, but would the others? I don't see it happening, not when this going public would destroy the entire League. I wouldn't be against his inclusion but, especially if Bruce isn't involved in arranging the roster, I don't think any other Leaguer would want him there.

Nightwing, however, might be a good replacement if Jason isn't an option. He doesn't kill, but he works with people who do (how many Titans have killed a sentient being? Most, if not all, right?) and the fact that Dick *doesn't* kill people means you've got someone cool headed on the roster who can keep the team from racking up a higher body count than necessary. Plus, it's Nightwing. He's one of the most trusted heroes on earth, respected by the entire hero community, if you want a leader you'll find none better, and after all the Spyral stuff we know Dick can keep a secret. Dick wouldn't want to be there, which is why he'd be a great choice to lead the team, he won't let them get lost in the moral ambiguity of their actions.

As for other members.....I know it's fan service-y as hell and nobody likes seeing him forced into the role of hero but....if you want a squad to kill people, and you want it done quiet and done right....you cut Deathstroke a check. The contract is about the closest thing Slade gets to having a church, so if he took the money you'd be able to trust him. You'd just have to lawyer the hell out of that contract to make sure Slade can't wiggle through the terms.

And speaking of lawyering something, I'd also recommend Kate Spencer. She'd be a perfect fit.

Katana is an obvious choice if you can get her away from the Suicide Squad. She's a stone cold killer. Metamorpho *could* be great; the perfect assassin....but I dunno if he'd be comfortable with a kill squad.
    I didn't consider Dick as the leader. He is probably the only person who could run this team without Bruce finding out. I like that.

I assumed Deathstroke was a giving, along with Black Canary. Katana is also a nice addition. Maybe add Red Arrow for a more gritty Sharpshooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah I would say the Justice League Elite would definitely fall under that category. Though I seriously doubt that Superman and Batman would allow them to operate as a "kill squad" and use the name Justice League.
    That's the fun part. When Bruce and Clark find out...lol
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 07-13-2020 at 07:31 PM.

Could see Batman signing off on a non-lethal black ops team, since he tends to act as his one man black ops team behind the League's back to begin with. Superman and Wonder Woman I couldn't really see approving of it, probably not Flash either.

Some of the GLs I could see being for it, I even once had the idea of John leading a team like this for the GL Corps given his Marine background.

I didn't consider Dick as the leader. He is probably the only person who could run this team without Bruce finding out. I like that.

I assumed Deathstroke was a giving, along with Black Canary. Katana is also a nice addition. Maybe add Red Arrow for a more gritty Sharpshooter.
    Dinah would be good, she's done this covert thing for years with the Birds of Prey. I don't know how adamant she is about not killing though. She's with Ollie, and Ollie does kill people on occasion so I *assume* she'd be okay with it? Plus there's the military experience from the New52, if that's still valid.

Red Arrow? You mean Emiko Queen? Don't know much about her past her appearances in Ollie's book, but I'd consider her a solid replacement for Ollie if the roster needs more killers. If not her, then maybe Shado? Is she still alive?

You know who else would make a good addition here? Steve Trevor. High ranking Argus agent, highly trained soldier, and he's used to dealing with all kinds of crazy sh*t. If Diana is putting the team together, Steve makes a lot of sense.....and if Diana doesn't know about the team you've got some great drama waiting for when she learns of it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Dick makes NO SENSE.
    IF you want to have a Bat-Family member than TIM DRAKE...

Future Tim Drake has been shown to be not afraid of killing AND I would also say that FUTURE TIM DRAKE is superior to Bruce if you are talking about intelligence and detective/Computer skills.

Its NOT a JL member, but I really liked NEW52 REVERSE FLASH (Iris brother and Wallace father).

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

In agreement with everything you wrote, and I REALLY like how you built your team.

If there were a way to bring him back, I'd suggest adding...

Tommy Monaghan

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Bronze Tiger- Okay this is a stretch but he was a member of the Justice League Task Force so he counts in my book . Ben doesn't like to kill but he will if he has to.

Crimson Fox- She killed a man and seemed fine doing it.

Fire- After joining checkmate, she became colder and had no problem killing.

Jason Todd- I don't care for him but I couldn't think of anyone else

Maxima- Ruthless and doesn't take no for an answer. I don't think she would go on a killing spree but I can see her having no problem killing.

Kate Spencer- She killed Copperhead and didn't care. This is her mission.

Azrael- Jean Pau; Valley is literally unhinged lmao. He got better over the years but he's still brutal.