Question Should I read 'Classic X-Men' or not?

So a few weeks ago I started a Claremont reading list for X-Men, and I've been working through it on and off.
    I'm not too deep, just UXM #132, and I've just found out that the Classic X-Men collections add new material in addition to the reprints.
    Is the new material really worth it/necessary, or should I just read it like it was published?

BANNED

I think it is Classic #8 that has some backstory on the X-Men's latest hot couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutcrawler View Post
    So a few weeks ago I started a Claremont reading list for X-Men, and I've been working through it on and off.
    I'm not too deep, just UXM #132, and I've just found out that the Classic X-Men collections add new material in addition to the reprints.
    Is the new material really worth it/necessary, or should I just read it like it was published?
    A lot of the backups are pretty good stories and provide some strong character work. You don't have to read them to understand what's going on, but I'd suggest reading them.

You're not missing anything.

The extras were only ever meant to "enhance" the story. Honestly, most of it was quite forgettable.

You don't have to in order to understand the stories, but if you love character moments, then you definitely should! The issue with Thunderbird's funeral, for example, is an essential X-Men read!

Astonishing Member

Not necessary but there are some great stories. Also note that Classic X Men have new material (except for 3 issues i believe) but X Men Classics doesn't.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Absolutely YES.

Supplementary stories from Classic X-Men by Claremont & Bolton are gold. At the very least, they're highly beautiful stuff, focused in characters, their personal issues and relationships (often out of X-Men). But frequently they also enlighten and spell scenes out, or even they explain things that remained elliptical in the series.

I mean, if you'd like to know how friendship between Logan and Kurt began, or how Phoenix saved Jean's life, or why Piotr has a child in the Savage Land, you MUST read CXM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Absolutely YES.

Supplementary stories from Classic X-Men by Claremont & Bolton are gold. At the very least, they're highly beautiful stuff, focused in characters, their personal issues and relationships (often out of X-Men). But frequently they also enlighten and spell scenes out, or even they explain things that remained elliptical in the series.

I mean, if you'd like to know how friendship between Logan and Kurt began, or how Phoenix saved Jean's life, or why Piotr has a child in the Savage Land, you MUST read CXM.
    So true.

That series wasn’t just done for the hell of it. It really contributed the most classic of X Men runs.
    One of my favorite parts was actually the covers. New takes on the originals that really got me excited to crack open the books and enjoy.