Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Wonder Woman OP??

Hello,
    just read these:

https://www.cbr.com/justice-league-w...uld-lead-team/
    https://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-str...ce-league-men/
    https://www.cbr.com/justice-league-w...n-best-member/

I have to say that I find this annoying and I always thougth that Diana is OP etc.

Why?

From power levels alone, Wonder Woman is without a doubt one of the big heavy hitters within the DC universe. She also is the only DC character who is within shouting distance of Batman and Superman in public awareness. Add that she in-canon is the most well-trained League member.

The problem is seldom characters being overpowered. The problem is far more often poor storytelling.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Why?

From power levels alone, Wonder Woman is without a doubt one of the big heavy hitters within the DC universe. She also is the only DC character who is within shouting distance of Batman and Superman in public awareness. Add that she in-canon is the most well-trained League member.

The problem is seldom characters being overpowered. The problem is far more often poor storytelling.
    If you talk about IN COMIC PUBLIC than I would say that THE FLASH could be more popular than her.
    I mean if you take the COMIC REALITY than Flash seems to be probably more popular than her.

Did you read the links which I posted above?

She was able to lift this rock which Superman couldnt, she outsmarted Batman and the others etc. etc.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

The Soviet Union Hockey Team won the Olympic Games for twenty years in a row putting the talent of their players to the service of the team, the United States Hockey Team was able to defeat the Soviets only when it did the same thing. In a team the best leader isn't the strongest, the smartest, the quickest one, but the one who is the most able to make the other team mates work together, so it is wrong say: «She should be the leader because she is the strongest, the smartest…».
    And in my humble opinion it is also wrong start to show how a character is better in everything than the all the other characters of the same franchise, above all if some of those characters were usually described to be the best in what they do: it is the best way to make that character hated by the fans.
    The more loved heroes aren't the one who are always the best, they are the ones able to inspire something good in the readers.

No, WW is not OP. These highlight the truth, which some of us have always known: Wonder Woman is the top female in strength and fighting in the DC Universe!

Spectacular Member

So Wonder Woman has gotten a few good showings and some spotlight time. Considering the rarity of that in a JL comic I'd say it's a bit premature to say that she is being depicted as OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    The Soviet Union Hockey Team won the Olympic Games for twenty years in a row putting the talent of their players to the service of the team, the United States Hockey Team was able to defeat the Soviets only when it did the same thing.
    Sorry to derail, but I am wondering exactly when this 20 year span of Soviet dominance was. Their longest streak was four consecutive Olympics, from 1964 to 1976. The Americans won in 1980 and the Soviets won a couple more after that. Note that Canada has the most overall medals, including gold medals, which may muddy your point somewhat.

Back on topic: overpowered heroes are boring because it's difficult to build stories with uncertainty and tension around them. WW has essentially no weaknesses and is dull as a result. It's not unique to DC. Marvel has this problem with the Silver Surfer, for example. Personally, I'd enjoy a line-wide depowering of ultra-powerful heroes to their Golden Age standards.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Wonderwoman regularly fights gods, demigods, superpowerful magic users, and army tanks, she isn't anywhere near mid-tier, like some people like to depict her as. Plus she is an Amazon, a race of being so adept at fighting, that ancient greeks classified them in the same catagory as monsters. So you have a supremely trained warrior, that has mystical strength speed, and endurance. Plus she has magical weapons. When you take this into consideration you have a character that should easily be in Superman, and Shazam's level powerwise, and should best them in certain situations.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 07-16-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post

Back on topic: overpowered heroes are boring because it's difficult to build stories with uncertainty and tension around them. WW has essentially no weaknesses and is dull as a result.

Last edited by Agent Z; 07-16-2020 at 06:31 PM.