• Hippolyta

10 45.45%
  • Someone Else

3 13.64%
  • No One

6 27.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman In The Justice Society

What's your opinion on Wonder Woman as a member of the Justice Society in WWII? Should it be Diana or someone else? Let's vote and talk about it.

WW2 and the JSA are just not important enough facets of her character history to where they can't be easily replaced as has been shown in multiple stories like G&Ms, Year One, or even the first movie.

I've never heard a convincing argument for why she's more "tied" to WW2 than either Superman or Batman are to WW2 or the 30s.

And pretty much all attempts I've seen to try and have it where she debuted in WW2, quit like a coward, came back in modern times so Supes can still be #1, and somehow Steve and Etta are still young (or their coincidentally identical descendants) are the kind of stuff that get superhero comics rightfully mocked and laughed at.

No interest in Hippolyta on the JSA either. Diana isn't a legacy character to a title that started with her.

TLDR: Keep it to elseworlds or make up some non-WW/non-Amazon related character if the JSA is so desperate.
    Last edited by Gaius; 12-23-2022 at 07:08 AM.

At the time I loved Hippolyta as WW in the JSA. It was a clever work around for getting a WW in that era, and it created new dynamics for Hippolyta to play off of. I wouldn't object to her having that history restored, but it seems more likely that Diana will take that role, and she should.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If it's on Earth 2, by all means have here there. Along with Superman and Batman.

On the main Earth, absolutely not. No Hippolyta either. Don't let the JSA dictate how the WW mythos operates. She's a bigger deal than all of them combined.

Hippolyta.

I like her interactions with other JSA members, I like there being Wonder Fam on major teams (JSA, JLA, Titans, Teen Titans) even if the execution is often debatable and it makes more sense for Hippolyta to go 'f##k this' and return to Themsycira. That said, I would not make Hippolyta Wonder Woman during WW2; she would be disguised as the Amazing Amazon or the Miss America or something and the existence of the Amazons would be a secret to the general public. Seeing how different Amazons handled being on a mission to Mans World adds more depth to the WW mythos and adds more weight to Diana's decision to stay in Man's World to continue her mission.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I was fond of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman being replaced by WRAITH, Reaper and Myrna Black. So I'm cool with Diana being replaced by another amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Hippolyta.

I like her interactions with other JSA members, I like there being Wonder Fam on major teams (JSA, JLA, Titans, Teen Titans) even if the execution is often debatable and it makes more sense for Hippolyta to go 'f##k this' and return to Themsycira. That said, I would not make Hippolyta Wonder Woman during WW2; she would be disguised as the Amazing Amazon or the Miss America or something and the existence of the Amazons would be a secret to the general public. Seeing how different Amazons handled being on a mission to Mans World adds more depth to the WW mythos and adds more weight to Diana's decision to stay in Man's World to continue her mission.
    You could tie in the atom bomb detonation to why Hippolyta gives up on man's world. Man's capacity for destruction terrified her.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-23-2022 at 08:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

As much as I enjoyed Hippolyta's time with the JSA Post-Crisis, I prefer Diana with her now having been active as Wonder Woman for decades. With the JLA currently disbanded, maybe she can rejoin the JSA to help get them up & running again.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Don't care for it.

If its gonna happen, have it be Hippolyta. I know the "WW shouldn't be a legacy!" but we've gotten several other Amazons to hold that title over the years. What's more, she doesn't need to be known as Wonder Woman, but her having ventured out before Diana, and thus being more world weary and wary of sending anyone out, would make far more sense than having the same view point literally millennia after being secluded from the rest of the world with no contact since ancient times.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Hippolyta.

Bravo! Best idea I’ve heard with what to do with Miss America! This also can be a great angle on Hippolyta! I would really love to see this explored. Miss America is a character that needs some love!
    As for Diana in WW2, I really am getting sick and tired of people bashing the notion she was in the JSA when she published in that era in the first place! Maybe the execution was not the best way it was done after the war. But at the time, it was necessary to keep her published throughout the decades afterward! Diana can be on both teams if the writers could get a story that explains her timeline better.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    Bravo! Best idea I’ve heard with what to do with Miss America! This also can be a great angle on Hippolyta! I would really love to see this explored. Miss America is a character that needs some love!
    As for Diana in WW2, I really am getting sick and tired of people bashing the notion she was in the JSA when she published in that era in the first place! Maybe the execution was not the best way it was done after the war. But at the time, it was necessary to keep her published throughout the decades afterward! Diana can be on both teams if the writers could get a story that explains her timeline better.
    But how would Hippolyta(as Miss America) explain no longer having transmutation powers but now having enhanced strength & reflexes?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Honestly leave WW out of WW2.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

No one.

World War II adds nothing of value to Wonder Woman. Contriving excuses to include it and keep her in modern day cheapens her and requires convoluted nonsense added to her lore. I don't care about the JSA, and I'm not interested in Hippolyta having adventures of her own.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Im 50/50 on it.

Only major thing is Diana has to be WW. If it is any other Amazon, it should temporary and under a different name.

I'm not a fan of it either. Miss America was a perfect sub for Diana. And now that Earth 2 is back, she can premiere in the 40's and have a daughter Hippolyta (Fury) with Steve. On the main universe, Both Furies can still exist or maybe have Helena be the daughter of Antiope.