Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Off topic quick question. Are the links I provided acceptable to CBR rules, since they are not to another discussion board but images on imgur? I want to make sure that the respect threads I'm planning on posting are with in rules so its not deleted. Most of them are posts I already made before on comicvine and some from people who already made the respect threads on redit. I'll make sure to give credit where its due.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

What is the matter, with Wonder Woman wielding a weapon, which is the singularly most powerful war-ending instrument in the known universe? I'm sick of writers, particularly those outside of the comic, ignoring the omniscient power of the Golden Lasso, ..breaking it or subverting it. DC Comics editors should protect the bloody lasso...period.

How many times have we seen Superman's heat vision decide who won or lost a battle?

Some writer is always finding an excuse to treat Wonder Woman like crap, in a story. I will always suspect misogyny, when I see that, because I have been a comixeur long enough to know that many of my fellow, male comic fans ..are straight-up misogynists, who bear a deep contempt and resentment for women. I've heard them say, out loud...

"I just don't like her. Do you really think she's as good, as Superman (or Male Hero X, usually Batman, Hulk or Wolverine)? What is she doing on the team? She's still a woman!"

We, male comic fans - we've all heard that, at some point in our lifetimes. I don't think writers are exempt from or above this peculiar sort of bigotry, and I think their stories usually tell the tale.

No, Wonder Woman is not over-powered. Respect the Golden Lasso.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-20-2020 at 08:22 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I'm not sure what is the topic here but Superman just lifted literally the heavens and weight of the world from Atlas.

Diana doesn't gets feats like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    I'm not sure what is the topic here but Superman just lifted literally the heavens and weight of the world from Atlas.

Diana doesn't gets feats like that.
    No, you see, we need to talk about Diana being OP because she is getting too much attention and does stuff way more powerful than Superman or Batman. (sarcasm)

On a side note, its nice seeing writers let Superman get to have fun with Greek mythology over you know the amazon lady whos origin its a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    No, you see, we need to talk about Diana being OP because she is getting too much attention and does stuff way more powerful than Superman or Batman. (sarcasm)

On a side note, its nice seeing writers let Superman get to have fun with Greek mythology over you know the amazon lady whos origin its a part of.
    Wonder Woman is pretty much dependent on Superman for much of her scaling (How powerful she is is always related to Superman). That's one of my peeves with DC, what was the last strength feat she had independent of Superman?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Superman has been crossing paths with the likes of Sampson, Hercules and Atlas since at least the Silver Age.

Meanwhile, Wonder Woman didn't really go all in on the Greek myth stuff until post-COIE. Before that, it was background info and the Gods were more like aliens on their various planets. I wouldn't say it's a great sin for someone else to show up in that setting since even her creator didn't treat it as the be all, end all of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Wonder Woman is pretty much dependent on Superman for much of her scaling (How powerful she is is always related to Superman). That's one of my peeves with DC, what was the last strength feat she had independent of Superman?
    Yea, it seems Superman gets to be the one to punch planets and lift infinity and Diana gets to occasionally fight Superman or similar characters.

BANNED

then ww stays with his Greek mythomogy and does not leave there, because if he does, he gets into the terrain of another.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Superman has been crossing paths with the likes of Sampson, Hercules and Atlas since at least the Silver Age.

Meanwhile, Wonder Woman didn't really go all in on the Greek myth stuff until post-COIE. Before that, it was background info and the Gods were more like aliens on their various planets. I wouldn't say it's a great sin for someone else to show up in that setting since even her creator didn't treat it as the be all, end all of her.
    Diana has fought and overpowered Hercules before the Perez reboot. But, anyway my point is that writers seem to have no problem letting characters like Superman (in this instance) get to do fun stuff (like holding up the heavens) with his powers but Diana doesn't. But, its not Superman's fault and I feel like I have to say this because its coming across that I don't like Superman, which isn't true. I guess I could be pissed at the writers because most of the time they don't put in a lot of creative effort towards Diana and her power, her strength or speed.

Diana has fought and overpowered Hercules before the Perez reboot. But, anyway my point is that writers seem to have no problem letting characters like Superman (in this instance) get to do fun stuff (like holding up the heavens) with his powers but Diana doesn't. But, its not Superman's fault and I feel like I have to say this because its coming across that I don't like Superman, which isn't true. I guess I could be pissed at the writers because most of the time they don't put in a lot of creative effort towards Diana and her power, her strength or speed.
    No, I do not think it is coming across that you do not like Superman.

But it is coming across that they do not like Wonder Woman.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    then ww stays with his Greek mythomogy and does not leave there, because if he does, he gets into the terrain of another.
    WW is a she not a he you know.

And other characters get involved in her "terrain" all the time, so why shouldn't she be able to go outside mythology.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    WW is a she not a he you know.

And other characters get involved in her "terrain" all the time, so why shouldn't she be able to go outside mythology.
    I use the translator, sorry if you don't understand. In the comment I answered, it seemed like you were criticizing Superman for getting into WW terrain.

Mighty Member

Simply put far too many characters are way overpowered in the DC Universe. From Superman, The Flash and Wonder Woman, and it seems that many want them to stay that way. I think that there should be limitations to characters or that some should have to struggle and barely pull out a win. It makes stories far more interesting than reading about a bunch of mary and gary sue's who win effortlessly. Characters should be humbled sometimes, they should get defeated sometimes, not everything should be a cakewalk or a win that came out of nowhere. It seems some want Diana to be mary sue, to beat any and everybody; it not by herself then with her lasso. And if she doesn't or she isn't perfect then it's sexism. Wonder Woman is not above criticism nor is it a crime if she loses a fight, neither is Superman or Flash. But because they are so OP any bad showing in a fight is decried as jobbing or bad writing. All-powerful characters are boring too read and the writer is forced to come up with evermore bigger threats that border on or surpass the ridiculous. DC needs to scale back the power levels of many characters but they won't and many don't want them to, or not their favorites at least.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Simply put far too many characters are way overpowered in the DC Universe. From Superman, The Flash and Wonder Woman, and it seems that many want them to stay that way. I think that there should be limitations to characters or that some should have to struggle and barely pull out a win. It makes stories far more interesting than reading about a bunch of mary and gary sue's who win effortlessly. Characters should be humbled sometimes, they should get defeated sometimes, not everything should be a cakewalk or a win that came out of nowhere. It seems some want Diana to be mary sue, to beat any and everybody; it not by herself then with her lasso. And if she doesn't or she isn't perfect then it's sexism. Wonder Woman is not above criticism nor is it a crime if she loses a fight, neither is Superman or Flash. But because they are so OP any bad showing in a fight is decried as jobbing or bad writing. All-powerful characters are boring too read and the writer is forced to come up with evermore bigger threats that border on or surpass the ridiculous. DC needs to scale back the power levels of many characters but they won't and many don't want them to, or not their favorites at least.
    All that can still happen with those characters being "OP". Because there is no such thing as OP in the right context. Any character can have challenges and lose battles. They just need to be put up against the right opponents. In fiction nothing is impossible, therefore nothing can be too powerful. All you need is to have consistency within the story's logic and emotional area. Which is why a street leveler vs SM putting up a fight is bad. And will make SM look "OP". But put SM against Doomsday for example, and you'll have a battle that is not easy for SM and has emotional weight too.
    Diana may be "OP" when she is seen fighting canon fodder. But she also fights super aliens, Monsters, Magic users, Gods etc. Basically a lot of beings with enough power to give her a run for her money and even beat her. Writers who can't handle Wonder Woman or other characters in her own power class, it's not because they are "OP", it's because certain writers lack imagination, or they aren't interested in putting some effort to create a proper challenge in the story.

Oh and Diana has been victim of sexism many times. But that is a conversation for another time.
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 07-21-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Can't really say I buy a character being to "OP" means they can't have good, interesting, or challenging stories. All-Star Superman has him at around Silver Age levels of absurd powers and even has stuff like the green Kryptonite weakness removed but most consider that one of the best Superman stories of all time. Granted, not every writer is Morrison but the idea still stands.