Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #12 Discussion & Spoilers

It’s over. What a great finale issue. Julian gets arrested, there’s a fantastic new Jimmy/Lex relationship that I hope gets explored and sticks, and Jimmy Olsen is now the publisher of the Daily Planet. Who the hell would’ve figured a Jimmy Olsen book would be one of the best Superbooks made in the 2020s? The series showcased why Jimmy is awesome and why he’s an important member of the Superfamily. I hope the new status quo sticks for a while, Superman’s Publisher Jimmy Olsen is an amazing idea. Also Jimmy punking Lex was hilarious, “it was me Jimmy!”

E6B386F5-DFB9-471F-AB2F-0868EC480D81.jpg

Also I’ve talked a lot about Fraction but has Lieber been great on art or what? Dude brought his A-game every issue, and he has a mastery of facial expressions that reminds me of Macguire. Good I hope he gets another DC book.

Also here’s a link to a finale interview, thanks DragonPiece! https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclus...y-olsen-finale
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-14-2020 at 08:15 AM.

I’ve followed this series sporadically and enjoyed it.

Does anyone know if the cat is supposed to be Dexstar or some random cat?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The sleeper hit at DC concludes. I hope we a Superman's Publisher Jimmy Olsen encore because this run was magnificent. So much fun and everyone involved killed it every page.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The best Superman book since Morrison was on ACTION COMICS. What a good ride it's been.

Quote Originally Posted by orionblue View Post
    I’ve followed this series sporadically and enjoyed it.

Does anyone know if the cat is supposed to be Dexstar or some random cat?
    It can't be Dex, he's in space with Jessica Cruz right now.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

This was excellent. I'd felt I was sort of losing the thread of it a bit in the last third, but this brought it all together beautifully.

I'd hope the developments stick, but - because Fraction had the crazy idea to depict Luthor as a corrupt, intelligent and amoral power-player in Metropolis rather than his more typical role of the bizarre martian-hybrid doom-preaching "Apex Lex" we all know and love - this seems to be slightly outside "current" continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    This was excellent. I'd felt I was sort of losing the thread of it a bit in the last third, but this brought it all together beautifully.

I'd hope the developments stick, but - because Fraction had the crazy idea to depict Luthor as a corrupt, intelligent and amoral power-player in Metropolis rather than his more typical role of the bizarre martian-hybrid doom-preaching "Apex Lex" we all know and love - this seems to be slightly outside "current" continuity.
    Nah Fraction just ignored all the bs going on. Bendis has said that he plans on tying in with what Rucka and Fraction did in their minis. Plus Fraction name drops Leone and the current plot in the Superman books about the Daily Planet printing the story about the Invisible Mafia. It’s in continuity, just go with the “time is broke” cop out.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I enjoyed this a lot. I don't think the whole Lex having his finances controlled by Jimmy idea is going to last, and the idea that they're related will likewise be swept under the rug, too.

However, I enjoyed this while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post

Eh, current continuity is that time is broken so Fraction had free reign to ignore all that nonsense and simply tell an evergreen Jimmy Olsen story with the traditional Lex.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Nah Fraction just ignored all the bs going on. Bendis has said that he plans on tying in with what Rucka and Fraction did in their minis. Plus Fraction name drops Leone and the current plot in the Superman books about the Daily Planet printing the story about the Invisible Mafia. It’s in continuity, just go with the “time is broke” cop out.
    I'm going to miss the whole "time is broken" excuse. It wasn't as fun as "Superboy-Prime had a fanboy hissy fit and punched history" but it did the job. Hopefully, moving forward, there will be some mechanism in place to allow creators who want to selectively ignore some stupid irrelevant continuity point from a current comic only a handful of people are reading anyway.

I mean, is anyone going to remember Justice League Odyssey a year from now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm going to miss the whole "time is broken" excuse. It wasn't as fun as "Superboy-Prime had a fanboy hissy fit and punched history" but it did the job. Hopefully, moving forward, there will be some mechanism in place to allow creators who want to selectively ignore some stupid irrelevant continuity point from a current comic only a handful of people are reading anyway.

I mean, is anyone going to remember Justice League Odyssey a year from now?
    People don’t even remember it’s going on right now however I’ve actually heard that it’s been quite good since Abnett took over. Might read through the whole thing one day to see.

Looking forward to checking this out once I have the time. How are Jimmy and Lex related? I sometimes forget Lex is technically also a redhead.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Looking forward to checking this out once I have the time. How are Jimmy and Lex related? I sometimes forget Lex is technically also a redhead.
    The family feud between the Luthors and Olsens is a major part of the many, many silly flashbacks. It's very funny and I wouldn't want to spoil any of it for you. Suffice it to say, yes, Jimmy and Lex and now distantly related to each other.

Astonishing Member

I doubt that any of this will have a impact on DC continuity (whatever that is nowadays). There's no deal that Jimmy could make with Lex, and no position to which Jimmy could be appointed, that he couldn't manage to screw up so totally that it falls apart before all upcoming issues of all other comics. That's the essence of his Jimmyness, and it's been a true joy to see it explored in this series. This is the best Jimmy ever!

BANNED

Wonder if Fraction has any other DC work lined up? Most people - including me - won't read a Jimmy Olsen book, but might be interested in bigger books by him. He used to create some great stuff for Marvel for example.