Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default What stories just won't work for what characters

You can make a lot of stories work for a lot of different kinds of characters, but there are some some combinations that don't work.

For example, you can make a story work about Nightwing struggling with guilt because he made a choice for selfish reasons that had terrible consequences. That works for a whole lot of superheroes in the DC Universe. It doesn't work for Superman. He can make bad choices, sure, but for personal benefit? It's just doesn't fit the character. You can write the story, but it's like driving a car with square tires.

What are the stories that just don't fit with some characters?

For some reason DC tries it every so often, but the Amazons being man-hating murderers. Their whole mantra is peace and equality. Yet, some writers and/or editors seem to think that means misandry. It's tiring.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Spectacular Member

remember that movie where Superman willingly let his farther die in a tornado so he could keep his powers a secret

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    remember that movie where Superman willingly let his farther die in a tornado so he could keep his powers a secret
    I looked at it more as Superman’s father sacrificed himself to help keep his adopted son’s powers a secret, because he had zero faith in ppl.

My point being, that doesn’t work for Pa Kent.
    He’s the one that instilled rock solid values and faith in humanity’s ability to be good in Superman from day one.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    You can make a lot of stories work for a lot of different kinds of characters, but there are some some combinations that don't work.

For example, you can make a story work about Nightwing struggling with guilt because he made a choice for selfish reasons that had terrible consequences. That works for a whole lot of superheroes in the DC Universe. It doesn't work for Superman. He can make bad choices, sure, but for personal benefit? It's just doesn't fit the character. You can write the story, but it's like driving a car with square tires.

What are the stories that just don't fit with some characters?
    Superman II is predicated upon him making a selfish choice to give up his powers for Lois Lane and it worked just fine for most audiences. In fact, many people prefer it to the original Donner film. Now, you could argue that Superman would never do that, but that doesn't change the fact that that film wasn't rejected by audiences or even the hardcore fans.

I think it's difficult to make hard and fast rules about which stories won't work for certain characters, because there's always going to be some creator who comes around and proves you wrong.

That said, there are certain types of stories that work better with some characters...

I do not believe in this philosophy. Any story can work with any character, it's a matter of understanding the essential components of the characters enough to cultivate a story that is narratively informed by them. a lot of creators are just too lazy or incompetent to do that. I could say Superman won't work in any story of significance where racial or ethnic issues are addressed because of the archetype he embodies for the culture he inhabits; but I know that's not true. it would just require a competent writer to really examine what the Superman character actually embodies and represents, not just what we say he represents, to create a narrative that actually is informed by how that would authentically influence the story being told.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Superman II is predicated upon him making a selfish choice to give up his powers for Lois Lane and it worked just fine for most audiences. In fact, many people prefer it to the original Donner film. Now, you could argue that Superman would never do that, but that doesn't change the fact that that film wasn't rejected by audiences or even the hardcore fans.

I think it's difficult to make hard and fast rules about which stories won't work for certain characters, because there's always going to be some creator who comes around and proves you wrong.
    ^^^...nice observation(s).

That said, there are certain types of stories that work better with some characters...
    ^^^and really it comes down to this. A good writer can make unlikely scenarios work though.

Boisterously Confused

I could argue that many fans prefer S2 because it was so MMA v STM. I could also claim the 1970s Superman films represent an Elsewolds v the ongoings. All that is hair splitting.

You have a point, but even if my example has flaws, I think the premise is sound. As an alternative, I'll pose this: in the 1950s imposing SciFi plots on Batman stories nearly destroyed what is now DC's leading character.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-14-2020 at 08:18 PM.

I think it was all Chris Reeve - his sincerity sold it as an act of love rather than being in any way selfish.

Idk, stories that try to present Harley Quinn as a sympathetic character maybe.

Just about any story can probably work it just depends on the writer.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Idk, stories that try to present Harley Quinn as a sympathetic character maybe.

Just about any story can probably work it just depends on the writer.
    It works for me when she fights someone worse than herself. Just like Punisher stories.

Incredible Member

Aquaman and being a King for more than what feels like 12 minutes

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

No “sad Flash” has worked, ever.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

...New 52 Lois Lane decided to accept a promotion and follow corporate direction because Daily Planet needs it to survive so the story can portray Clark Kent as the rebel and symbol of a true reporter came to mind...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I do not believe in this philosophy. Any story can work with any character, it's a matter of understanding the essential components of the characters enough to cultivate a story that is narratively informed by them. a lot of creators are just too lazy or incompetent to do that. I could say Superman won't work in any story of significance where racial or ethnic issues are addressed because of the archetype he embodies for the culture he inhabits; but I know that's not true. it would just require a competent writer to really examine what the Superman character actually embodies and represents, not just what we say he represents, to create a narrative that actually is informed by how that would authentically influence the story being told.
    I completely second this, especially considering how a lot of stories that most people think of iconic or normal would've been considered out of place if write tried to do it now.