Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    With respect to Lee...No. For all the reasons that have already been astutely stated.
    It's called "guilty by association." Even if Lee isn't part of that group, him working with them associates him with them.

If Lee had vetted who he was working with properly, he would not have worked with them. If King had done his research better, he would have seen Lee already give his explanation for working with them.

Both made a mistake.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Again...with regards to Lee, you are wrong.
    He did one cover...not a continuous series of covers over a period of time. There is no "association" for which he might be judged "guilty".
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

LOL, I'm sure that DC is loving the fact that this story has sucked all the air out of Comic-Con.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    LOL, I'm sure that DC is loving the fact that this story has sucked all the air out of Comic-Con.
    If they even care. I'm not sure they do. They haven't issued a statement on this, have they?

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Again...with regards to Lee, you are wrong.
    He did one cover...not a continuous series of covers over a period of time. There is no "association" for which he might be judged "guilty".
    He did one cover. For a member of that group. That promoted that cover in a tweet hashtagging that group.

So, yes. Guilty by association. Had he vetted properly his name wouldn't have ever been even remotely near that group.

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    How is Jae Lee "good" in this situation?
    Jae Lee is not the one who nearly ruined another person's career and reputation, ruined their day of mourning a beloved pet and then went on to lie about the person he wronged having let bygones be bygones.

Lee even states in that quote you linked to that he wants nothing to do with comicsgate. And frankly, whether or not he openly condemns them is moot. He clearly does not support their actions and barely is on social media. This all could have been avoided if King had confronted Lee on this privately instead of attacking him without proof he'd actually done anything wrong. The mental gymnastics required to make Lee look as bad as King are worthy of an olympic gold medal.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    If they even care. I'm not sure they do. They haven't issued a statement on this, have they?
    When this is being talked about more than anything they are trying to hype by fans and multiple comic outlets I think DC comics might care. As for releasing a statement? They cant say what they really think and they can't pull a page out of Tom King's playbook and say "We're all good, best possible outcome."
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    He did one cover. For a member of that group. That promoted that cover in a tweet hashtagging that group.

So, yes. Guilty by association. Had he vetted properly his name wouldn't have ever been even remotely near that group.
    It’s Lee’s job to act on the information he has. It’s not his job to research every company that he’s ever been commissioned art for for every cover he is paid to draw. Lee is guilty are best of not knowing something and the acting appropriately once he did.

What King accused him of is disgusting.

It’s just not prudent to expect every contract to know every history of every person they do work for.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The other guy does need to learn a lesson the fact that he goes out of his way not be involved things doesn't absolve him completely of knowing who he is working with and what they represent. King was wrong especially since he had access to Jae Lee apparently and could have done same homework he did after before he spoke BUT Jae lee hiding behind oh he didn't know is also not good enough. Some of that is the Comic Industry,DC and Jae Lee himself. I get how toxic the internet can be and respect anyone for avoiding it but he was clear taken advantage of because he wasn't knowledgeable on this issue. Self inflicted lack of knowledge is his fault.

This isn't all or nothing argument. You can be proud of King stood up against hate and disappointed that he didn't make sure Jae was innocent in his connection before talking. You can proud that Jae lee is standing up for himself and his right to be involved in stupid internet f'ckery and disappointed that his avoidance of fckery made him have lack of knowledge of who he was indirectly supporting . And lets be 100% clear while people are trying to jump on Tom King now, that Jae Lee isn't going to do covers with them ever again understanding what they are now. If people think King is biggest issue here and not the people who have peddle hate I don't know what to say about that.
    Lee had stopped doing artwork for Van Sciver once he found out what comicsgate was.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It’s Lee’s job to act on the information he has. It’s not his job to research every company that he’s ever been commissioned art for for every cover he is paid to draw. Lee is guilty are best of not knowing something and the acting appropriately once he did.
    It's very much his job to find out who he's commissioned from and what that commission is being used for. It is literally his name being associated with that work. It's not like he has a company telling him to do a job. It's independent work. He's accepting the commission request.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Lee had stopped doing artwork for Van Sciver once he found out what comicsgate was.
    Exactly. Its as if King had someone tell him "you know Lee's did work for them" and he jumped to twitter instead of doing his own research. If the internet can find his response in 5min King could have.

Incredible Member

I can guarantee every single person here knowingly buys things from the most corrupt piece of garbage companies and murderous dictatorships or uses their services.

Its pretty laughable how quick they are to take the moral high ground though against someone else who unwittingly took a job and how quick they are to hold him accountable but how slow they are to hold themselves accountable.

Tom King is right about one thing. People are def angry these days.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    It's very much his job to find out who he's commissioned from and what that commission is being used for. It is literally his name being associated with that work. It's not like he has a company telling him to do a job. It's independent work. He's accepting the commission request.

Exactly. Its as if King had someone tell him "you know Lee's did work for them" and he jumped to twitter instead of doing his own research. If the internet can find his response in 5min King could have.
    This is naive. No, most independent contractors aren’t researching every company they do a one off for. He got commissioned for a job and did it and got paid. He’s also an artist so he didn’t even need to leave his house to do it. He banged out a cover over a several hours and moved on with his life. You think ever roofer or electrician looks to see if they are doing a building that hosts meetings for hate groups? No someone commissions them, they do their job, they leave. If someone brings it to their attention, maybe they bow out.

Have you ever worn Nike’s? Use Apple products?

This is naive. No, most independent contractors aren’t researching every company they do a one off for. He got commissioned for a job and did it and got paid. He’s also an artist so he didn’t even need to leave his house to do it. He banged out a cover over a several hours and moved on with his life. You think ever roofer or electrician looks to see if they are doing a building that hosts meetings for hate groups? No someone commissions them, they do their job, they leave. If someone brings it to their attention, maybe they bow out.
    And that laissez faire attitude is why things like this happen. Saying "it was work, I only did it for money" doesn't absolve you from being associated with (and profiting from) certain groups. This isn't 10-15 years ago. People look into everything these days and will hold people accountable for it. Ignorance is no longer an excuse for anyone. If a roofer helped complete a building and it's use is for Klan meetings, you're damn right people will go after that roofer.

It's stupid, but it's how the world is now.

Have you ever worn Nike’s? Use Apple products?
    Where did I ever claim I was better than anyone, or above criticism? If I say I expect people to be held accountable for their actions, I expect the same to be done with me.

And I wear Vans. I find them more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    I can guarantee every single person here knowingly buys things from the most corrupt piece of garbage companies
    In fact, a lot of creators over the years would include DC and its parent companies in that category.

Can someone clarify something for me:

What exactly does that comic even have to do with Comicsgate? They're not a publisher or anything, right? How was that cover for them or create an asociation between Lee and that movement in the first place aside from EVS using that hashtag?