Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    I am not jumping on any kind of boycott of Tom King's comics any more than I was ever going to jump on any kind of boycott of Jae Lee's comics.

This isn't some kind of binary choice where I have to decide which person to angrily judge. I can just choose not to angrily judge anyone.

Tom King definitely screwed up. He got judgmental when he shouldn't have. He has made it very clear he knows he was in the wrong. He said he tried to patch things up with Jae Lee. I sure hope there was an apology involved in that discussion. Jae Lee sounds like he is still rightfully angry about the whole thing, but he says he is done with it and moving on. Tom King seems ready to move on.

I just want a lesson to be learned by comic creators and the fanbase, so that none of us act like this again.

If we can all agree to do that, I am perfectly happy to continue to support the work of Jae Lee and Tom King. Comicsgaters still get the stink-eye from me, though, because they earned it.
    He did the deed in public, and he supposedly apologized in private. The apology needs to be done in the same manner as the offense, in addition to any private one. And, quite frankly, he did damage to this guy in a rather weaselly way, and needs to compensate him for that in some way.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    He did the deed in public, and he supposedly apologized in private. The apology needs to be done in the same manner as the offense, in addition to any private one. And, quite frankly, he did damage to this guy in a rather weaselly way, and needs to compensate him for that in some way.
    I completely agree about the apology needing to be public. I look at his tweet to see if I missed something, and no. If anything it looks like King is trying to sweep everything under the rug. What he chose to do had a terrible effect on Jae Lee, who was already going through a bad event in his life. Before reading the article, I had that nagging thought in my head that Jae Lee wasn't ok with everything. Why is it so hard for him to say 'I was wrong. I misinterpreted things and jumped to the wrong conclusion. Jae is a good man. I'm sorry.' or something along those lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenyxx1481 View Post
    I completely agree about the apology needing to be public. I look at his tweet to see if I missed something, and no. If anything it looks like King is trying to sweep everything under the rug. What he chose to do had a terrible effect on Jae Lee, who was already going through a bad event in his life. Before reading the article, I had that nagging thought in my head that Jae Lee wasn't ok with everything. Why is it so hard for him to say 'I was wrong. I misinterpreted things and jumped to the wrong conclusion. Jae is a good man. I'm sorry.' or something along those lines?
    Delete. I spoke out of anger because I have never cared for King and his handling of this has furthered that resentment.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 07-26-2020 at 11:41 AM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Incredible Member

Don't fire him! Bat/Cat hasn't come out yet!

Besides, I think firing anyone over this is an overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Being mad at "cancel culture" and then going around cancelling someone for it is a bit ironic, eh?
    Not really, if we want cancel culture to end then we will absolutely need to cancel some people. Looking at King's response, or lack of it, it looks clear that he learned nothing and he'll do it again, and again, and again.

I really, really loved some of his work, but if he wants to harm this industry then I'd rather he was not part of it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Not really, if we want cancel culture to end then we will absolutely need to cancel some people. Looking at King's response, or lack of it, it looks clear that he learned nothing and he'll do it again, and again, and again.

I really, really loved some of his work, but if he wants to harm this industry then I'd rather he was not part of it.
    He does not want to "harm" the industry. He was trying to distance himself from a hate group that does harm the industry. He made a mistake by naming that guy without checking, but anyone who does make covers for EVS should really take the time to research what they're doing.

Why is it on him to take a look at EVS and what he's doing? He does art. He took a job to create cover art for a fictional story. It reflects on nothing other than his artwork until and unless he actually voices support for Van Scriver's beliefs. You're turning this around to try and absolve King of his asshat move like it was understandable. Like Lee is responsible in part for his being libeled. He's not. King is the one who screwed up here, period end of story.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-26-2020 at 12:39 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

He was trying to throw fellow creator under the bus without bothering to contact him first. He may think that he is doing good thing here, but it sure as hell does not look like it.

Jae is largely a cover artist at this point. He does very few interior art jobs. Taking a cover assignment shouldn't require research. That's just not really how it works. If anything, it should be on the publisher to not work with assholes.

Tom King seems like a bit of an asshole, too.

Glad Lee responded the way he did. King's "apology" was such a joke after publicly attacking someone the way he did.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post

Exactatiously.
    I'm not advocating anyone else to stop reading/buying his books or for him to be fired.
    But in light of his non-apology and then Jae Lee's response I am personally not going to be supporting anything with his name on it...ever again.
    He is part of the problem and as far as I'm concerned he's officially "persona non grata aeternum"
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Holly hell! I visit Twitter regularly and wasn't aware of this one storn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    I am not jumping on any kind of boycott of Tom King's comics any more than I was ever going to jump on any kind of boycott of Jae Lee's comics.

This isn't some kind of binary choice where I have to decide which person to angrily judge. I can just choose not to angrily judge anyone.

Tom King definitely screwed up. He got judgmental when he shouldn't have. He has made it very clear he knows he was in the wrong. He said he tried to patch things up with Jae Lee. I sure hope there was an apology involved in that discussion. Jae Lee sounds like he is still rightfully angry about the whole thing, but he says he is done with it and moving on. Tom King seems ready to move on.

I just want a lesson to be learned by comic creators and the fanbase, so that none of us act like this again.

If we can all agree to do that, I am perfectly happy to continue to support the work of Jae Lee and Tom King. Comicsgaters still get the stink-eye from me, though, because they earned it.
    I borrow your words for myself, if you don't mind.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 07-26-2020 at 08:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Why is it on him to take a look at EVS and what he's doing? He does art. He took a job to create cover art for a fictional story. It reflects on nothing other than his artwork until and unless he actually voices support for Van Scriver's beliefs. You're turning this around to try and absolve King of his asshat move like it was understandable. Like Lee is responsible in part for his being libeled. He's not. King is the one who screwed up here, period end of story.
    Guilt by association, by working with EVS Jae unwittingly appeared to be ok with what EVS was doing which is why Jae needed to be up to date on what's going on in the comic industry to avoid situations like this from happening.

King did wrong, he should have spoken to Jae first to get his side but I can understand why given how dire politics is with EVS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Guilt by association, by working with EVS Jae unwittingly appeared to be ok with what EVS was doing which is why Jae needed to be up to date on what's going on in the comic industry to avoid situations like this from happening.

King did wrong, he should have spoken to Jae first to get his side but I can understand why given how dire politics is with EVS.
    This. Anyone dealing with EVS needs to be brought up to speed. Honestly, at this point I think the big companies just need to do a mandatory seminar or pamphlet or something explaining what EVS and his -gate is. Ignorance can only be an excuse for so long.

To draw a cover I don't think he particularly needs to be up to date on anything. If he didn't know he didn't know. I'm not putting that on him. He's not in strong collaboration doing interiors or involved with the story in any more of a substantial way to my knowledge. So I don't think any onus is on him to learn anything about the particular gig. To each their own though.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El