Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

no mention of doomsday clock in the press release, wonder if this book will ignore that and try to be it's own story.

I could see it being a standalone tale. I'm interested in what King's take on Watchmen is. It feels right up his alley.

while I'm sure it's a dream job for the guy who worships Alan Moore, it's a hard pass from me. Tom King stories are all the same note, he's not a very good writer. That and the horse is already long dead. DC should try out some new ideas for once.

Where's Sister Night and Looking Glass?

I am going to take a "wait and see" attitude. I don't care if DC wants to keep going back to the Watchmen well. If it's good, it's good (like the HBO show) if it's not, it's no skin off my nose. I do wonder if they'll start treating Rorschach like Wagner's Grendel - where there are different interpretations of the concept with each new person who wears it until it becomes more of an idea in culture rather than any one person in a mask. (or did Moore pioneer that too with "V for Vendetta?)

I'll take a wait and see approach on this too.

On one hand, I'm tired and bored of Watchmen and the genre deconstruction it inspired.

On the other hand, King's Mr. Miracle was the best gods damn book the comic industry made in 2018.

So I'll see what the word is once it's got a few issues under its belt and go from there.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Milking this cow even more will probably sell, but all the same I don't care. Way over both Watchmen and Tom King.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member

You have got to be kidding me.

They're desperate, so this makes sense in a sad way.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It's a pass for me, but this always felt like the real reason for Doomsday Clock. To basically set up the Watchmen property to be used continuously much easier. It doesn't matter if it follows Doomsday Clock or anything, but now the characters are set up to be used however DC wants. There will probably be some Comedian series next. Just a matter of time until we start getting things like "Comedian vs The Joker" and series like that I bet, lol.

Extraordinary Member

I'm terrible with names and who did what, is Tom King the guy who won't stop talking about how he was a killer CIA agent, or is that someone else?

But back to the topic; this just shows that DC is at a low point creatively. They've got nothing good that's new, so they go to something old, that was never meant as anything other than a one-shot.

I find it amusing that HBO only gave Watchmen one season. HBO, the network that will run a hit into the ground. Take the hint, DC.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Really over Watchmen and do not care at all for Tom King. This will be an easy pass.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I'm down. I'm of the opinion that any story and/or character should be able to be picked up and played with by any storyteller, and Tom King has more than earned my read.

I love how people hold Watchmen up as some untouchable golden egg that changed the industry when it isn't even the the first book to be "mature." Miller did it earlier that year with The Dark Knight Returns. O'Neil did it with Green Lantern/Green Arrow in the 70s. Heck, Moore himself even did it better in Miracleman in '82.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    It's a pass for me, but this always felt like the real reason for Doomsday Clock. To basically set up the Watchmen property to be used continuously much easier. It doesn't matter if it follows Doomsday Clock or anything, but now the characters are set up to be used however DC wants. There will probably be some Comedian series next. Just a matter of time until we start getting things like "Comedian vs The Joker" and series like that I bet, lol.
    To be honest I think the Comedian would be a intriguing addition to the DCU.

Not that I want the Watchmen in the DCU at all, but if it had to happen, the Comedian at least offers some interesting angels to explore that no one in DC really does.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.