Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Being mad at "cancel culture" and then going around cancelling someone for it is a bit ironic, eh?

That being said, what King did wasn't nice and he should have talked to Lee first before making assumption and sharing it with the public.

Also, I seriously wish for Twitter to be closed down already. That platform created far more drama than its worth.
    I think what bothers me most about the situtation is that King never actually apologizes for what he said. "We're all good. Best possible outcome." Really? Are the words 'I'm sorry' that out of touch? That made me lose a lot of respect for him. If anything, it makes it sound like Jae Lee had to apologize to him.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    No one accussed Lee of being part of the group, it's just him being guilty by association. It's great Lee actually did not know what comicsgate actually was and isn't doing future work with them, but in such a tough politcal climate it's good to call out this type of thing. And honestly, maybe this made other writers and artists who aware of what comics gate is if they didn't know yet and now they will also steer clear. And that is a good thing.
    What Tom King did was the modern day equivalent of tossing a bound person into water to see if they were a witch. If they didn't drown they were a witch, if they drowned they weren't Now we know that Jae isn't a witch....all it took was a public drowning lol.

Maybe Inquisitor King can get around to questioning Gail Simone, someone who actually works for the company. Or Priest, but he is proven in the past that he just doesn't care about what people think of him.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Or Priest, but he is proven in the past that he just doesn't care about what people think of him.
    Truly a relic of a bygone, more civilized age...

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

What Tom King did was the modern day equivalent of tossing a bound person into water to see if they were a witch. If they didn't drown they were a witch, if they drowned they weren't Now we know that Jae isn't a witch....all it took was a public drowning lol.

Maybe Inquisitor King can get around to questioning Gail Simone, someone who actually works for the company. Or Priest, but he is proven in the past that he just doesn't care about what people think of him.
    Yeah, it was a public drowning and I get that's contreversial. Personally, I'm glad the issue was confronted and dealt with. Jae Lee will continue to have a great career in the future and anyone acting like King ruined Lee's future permenantly is silly.

As for other artists/writers working at DC who may be involved with comicsgate, I don't think DC cares as long as the person isn't activey harrassing someone as long as they turn in their work without including politics. The problem in this case was just King personally not wanting to work with CG by association.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Truly a relic of a bygone, more civilized age...
    He's not a relic of a bygone age-others have and are still doing the same thing.

It's just that his resume (along with McDuffie's) paints a bigger picture.

No one has asked who are these companies scared of to let guys like Priest be the main writer for books like Batman or Superman.

That is why Priest left the industry. They were tired of this is all you can do. While see other guys get top books in less than 2-3 years or some keep getting book after book despite low sales and ZERO acclaim.

While he made sellers out of Black Panther, Steel, The Ray and Martian Manhunter. Made Wallace West interesting. Yet not good enough for the A listers. Never mind he has written every single one of them in the past.

Yeah, it was a public drowning and I get that's contreversial. Personally, I'm glad the issue was confronted and dealt with. Jae Lee will continue to have a great career in the future and anyone acting like King ruined Lee's future permenantly is silly.

As for other artists/writers working at DC who may be involved with comicsgate, I don't think DC cares as long as the person isn't activey harrassing someone as long as they turn in their work without including politics. The problem in this case was just King personally not wanting to work with CG by association.
    Well if King doesn't want to work with CG by association he could have always quit. What is really interesting about this whole thing is that the only people that actually had enough courage to quit a paying gig were the lower tier talent no one heard of. The people with the most to lose. I have yet to see one big name creator quit.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Being mad at "cancel culture" and then going around cancelling someone for it is a bit ironic, eh?

That being said, what King did wasn't nice and he should have talked to Lee first before making assumption and sharing it with the public.

Also, I seriously wish for Twitter to be closed down already. That platform created far more drama than its worth.
    Social media in general is nothing but a cancer upon human beings and feeds into narcissism and hate.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Incredible Member

Seems a bit rich for someone walking around with a gun during iraq war 2 to be moralising about anything.

And then take the characters created by an anarchist cia hating magician and talk about politics...

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

There-in lies the true irony.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Seems a bit rich for someone walking around with a gun during iraq war 2 to be moralising about anything.

And then take the characters created by an anarchist cia hating magician and talk about politics...
    A lot of King's work seems to be about him struggling with how terrible a person he is for the things he did in that war, and also justifying it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    A lot of King's work seems to be about him struggling with how terrible a person he is for the things he did in that war, and also justifying it.
    That's what therapy's for. He doesn't need to work out his issues at reader's expense.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

The issue is that this false accusation would have ended his career - period.

A prominent Asian creator's career would have ended, just think about that for a second. In a time when people of color are needed in the industry a white man nearly ended a career of one and for what?

This makes me madder and madder because I adore King; I think I'm done with him

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Well if King doesn't want to work with CG by association he could have always quit. What is really interesting about this whole thing is that the only people that actually had enough courage to quit a paying gig were the lower tier talent no one heard of. The people with the most to lose. I have yet to see one big name creator quit.
    King should have quit a book he has been working on for months over a variant cover he didn't know about? I think just tweeting his discomfort with the cover was adequate enough.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    The issue is that this false accusation would have ended his career - period.

A prominent Asian creator's career would have ended, just think about that for a second. In a time when people of color are needed in the industry a white man nearly ended a career of one and for what?

This makes me madder and madder because I adore King; I think I'm done with him
    But his career didn't end? You are getting mad about a scenario that didn't happen.

I feel like he should haven given a more sincere apology to Lee. I don’t know if anyone needs to lose their job over an overreaction/misunderstanding. The guy should probably think about spending some time away from twitter though. And yeah, maybe see a therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I feel like he should haven given a more sincere apology to Lee. I don’t know if anyone needs to lose their job over an overreaction/misunderstanding. The guy should probably think about spending some time away from twitter though. And yeah, maybe see a therapist.
    There are exceptions to every rule, but have you noticed that it's always comic writers that seem to struggle the most with Twitter? For the most part Comic Artist Twitter is just "check out this cool thing I drew" Comic Writer Twitter is...sigh