Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    And that laissez faire attitude is why things like this happen. Saying "it was work, I only did it for money" doesn't absolve you from being associated with (and profiting from) certain groups. This isn't 10-15 years ago. People look into everything these days and will hold people accountable for it. Ignorance is no longer an excuse for anyone. If a roofer helped complete a building and it's use is for Klan meetings, you're damn right people will go after that roofer.

It's stupid, but it's how the world is now.

Where did I ever claim I was better than anyone, or above criticism? If I say I expect people to be held accountable for their actions, I expect the same to be done with me.

And I wear Vans. I find them more comfortable.
    No, the reason why things like this happen is because people like King make them happen. This is entirely his fault. Though at this point, DC really needs to discipline him in some way.

Extraordinary Member

Double post: please delete

Extraordinary Member

And that laissez faire attitude is why things like this happen. Saying "it was work, I only did it for money" doesn't absolve you from being associated with (and profiting from) certain groups. This isn't 10-15 years ago. People look into everything these days and will hold people accountable for it. Ignorance is no longer an excuse for anyone. If a roofer helped complete a building and it's use is for Klan meetings, you're damn right people will go after that roofer.

It's stupid, but it's how the world is now.

Where did I ever claim I was better than anyone, or above criticism? If I say I expect people to be held accountable for their actions, I expect the same to be done with me.

And I wear Vans. I find them more comfortable.
    No this happened because one person ran to the internet to make a scene without knowing what they were talking about. If King was even remotely aware of what he was screaming about, we aren’t talking about this and Lee isn’t getting harassed. Lee did contract work, found out something about who he did for, and stopped working for them. King lambasted Lee publicly claiming untrue things about him.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    No, the reason why things like this happen is because people like King make them happen. This is entirely his fault. Though at this point, DC really needs to discipline him in some way.
    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    No this happened because one person ran to the internet to make a scene without knowing what they were talking about. If King was even remotely aware of what he was screaming about, we aren’t talking about this and Lee isn’t getting harassed. Lee did contract work, found out something about who he did for, and stopped working for them. King
    If King did his research he would have known Lee already disavowed the group after his cover, he wouldn't have called out Lee. If Lee never did that cover, then there would have been no basis for the tweet to begin with.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

If King did his research he would have known Lee already disavowed the group after his cover, he wouldn't have called out Lee. If Lee never did that cover, then there would have been no basis for the tweet to begin with.
    Again Lee was unaware of something and did a job he does all the time then was aware of something and stopped. Lee didn’t do anything out of the ordinary. A fact about the ideology of a group he was contacted to do work for was the difference.

King proactively tried to call out someone based off information he didn’t bother to follow up on because he was more interested in being a shot stirrer online rather than figuring out whether his statements were true or not

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Can someone clarify something for me:

What exactly does that comic even have to do with Comicsgate? They're not a publisher or anything, right? How was that cover for them or create an asociation between Lee and that movement in the first place aside from EVS using that hashtag?
    As far as I understand, that publishers works closely with people who support those comicsgate people? I think...

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Again Lee was unaware of something and did a job he does all the time then was aware of something and stopped. Lee didn’t do anything out of the ordinary. A fact about the ideology of a group he was contacted to do work for was the difference.

King proactively tried to call out someone based off information he didn’t bother to follow up on because he was more interested in being a shot stirrer online rather than figuring out whether his statements were true or not
    And, again, you can't dismiss one's ignorance while placing 100% fault on the other's. Lee should have done his due diligence. Just because you always did things one way before doesn't mean you can still do it that same way. The world is different now. Even if King didn't tweet that, I can guarantee you someone else would have brought up Lee's prior work even if he disavowed it. it would have come up, because that's how we are now as a society. It just wouldn't have been as loud because it would be coming from some random person on Twitter and not from one of the bigger writers in the industry.

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

And, again, you can't dismiss one's ignorance while placing 100% fault on the other's. Lee should have done his due diligence. Just because you always did things one way before doesn't mean you can still do it that same way. The world is different now. Even if King didn't tweet that, I can guarantee you someone else would have brought up Lee's prior work even if he disavowed it. it would have come up, because that's how we are now as a society. It just wouldn't have been as loud because it would be coming from some random person on Twitter and not from one of the bigger writers in the industry.
    Yep, and the cashier at the local grocery store who rang out someone, should instead just do an investigation to see if they were connected to Comicsgate. Every last one. Come on, admit it, literally no one does that. Because it's not practical, viable, or even a good idea.

Yep, and the cashier at the local grocery store who rang out someone, should instead just do an investigation to see if they were connected to Comicsgate. Every last one. Come on, admit it, literally no one does that. Because it's not practical, viable, or even a good idea.
    If there was a "grocerygate" then yeah, he should check if his company is related to that.

It's also a vast difference between working for a company and them giving you a job to do versus being an independent contractor and choosing what work you do.

Guilt by association is the biggest joke of the 21st century. And that's saying something considering who is currently sitting in the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Guilt by association is the biggest joke of the 21st century. And that's saying something considering who is currently sitting in the White House.
    I find it amusing that this dying little industry can still generate so much drama in such funny ways. Tom King cancels a minority (Lee) on bad info then uncancels him. Then tells everyone that everything is cool. Lee says that they aren't cool. Tom King has yet to apologize, and never will because that is the kind of thing that a lawyer can use against you lol. Some people still out here trying to defend Tom King.

I'm old enough to remember when comic creators had to earn the right to be this petty.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-27-2020 at 02:44 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It's no joke; it is used by every authoritarian nation since Rome, and probably before. It never ends well.

Funny thing is, a situation like this would never happen in real life. Another example why twitter is a toilet. Can anyone imagine King standing in front of Lee and telling him to his face those exact words that he tweeted. I don't care if he was CIA, if he said that to anyone's face he would get knocked on his ass. At best, he would bring it up in a very polite way. But we don't have that anymore because platforms like twitter has destroyed any kind of normal human interaction.

No, it isn't. You research the company for things you expect to impact you, not things like that. Unless you are somewhat...unusual. Lee, like most, was looking for a paying gig. That's all. Since he likely did it remotely, all he really would be concerned by would be "an I going to get paid, when, and how much."
    nailed it!

Especially since he has been a pretty consistent Free Lance Cover Artist for awhile now.

One of the draws of going Free Lance is that you normally do not have to think about the Employers Culture. You see how much they are offering, the amount of time, the CONTENT of what they are asking (NOT THE CONTEXT), and then decide whether you want to do it or not.

Now if it was an Exclusive Contract where you would be going into an Office, then you would research the Companies Culture.

People are either playing Devils Advocate or bending over backwards to try and claim Lee is in the wrong to try and say "If this freelancer spent his Billable Time Researching EVS 1st, rather then spend that time FINISHING the Job for a person who even a Google Search of him does not explain all of this ffs"....You are also what is wrong with the World because you believe a single Mistake equals Death, even when it is one that someone learns from...because you want to know what I bet Lee has done, when Offered a Job, since he found out about his work being used like that? EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE SHAMING HIM FOR!!! jfc...
    Last edited by gambit2051; 07-27-2020 at 03:50 PM. Reason: less targeted and more explanation
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

If there was a "grocerygate" then yeah, he should check if his company is related to that.

It's also a vast difference between working for a company and them giving you a job to do versus being an independent contractor and choosing what work you do.
    ......wow........just......WOW....
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.