Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    To be honest I think the Comedian would be a intriguing addition to the DCU.

Not that I want the Watchmen in the DCU at all, but if it had to happen, the Comedian at least offers some interesting angels to explore that no one in DC really does.
    I feel that that's because the Comedian, of the Watchmen characters, has the least recognizable character parallel in the DC comics. Plus he, Rorschach, and Doctor Manhattan seem to transcend their inspirations the most. I mean how often do you really see Peacemaker nowadays really, ya know? Most people who would see The Comedian and Peacemaker now would recognize The Comedian first and probably find him more compelling. Poor Peacemaker got John Carter'd lol

I think the characters that would fit the DC universe the best would be Mime & Marionette imo but that's kinda a cheap answer seeing as they essentially are DC characters. Barring them, I would love to see Ozymandias in the DC universe more than The Comedian.

I feel the sonning that he would receive being in a universe with more big brains than just him; many being bigger brains. and the inevitable bounce back as he discovers and starts to master all the crazy science **** in the DC universe would be amazing. I imagine it would be like if you took a real life scientist polymath and dropped him in the DC universe.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-15-2020 at 09:04 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

On the one hand?

It's probably time to just put the "Watchmen..." IP away for good.

On the other hand?

This creative team is aces.

Normally I would be against yet another Watchmen book but if there’s one creator who may have something interesting to say with Rorschach, it’s King. Rorschach was Alan Moore’s representation of the fascist nature of superheroes. I’ve always hated how he’s been turned into this great hero over the years. It’ll be interesting to see how King approaches the character.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I feel that that's because the Comedian, of the Watchmen characters, has the least recognizable character parallel in the DC comics. Plus he, Rorschach, and Doctor Manhattan seem to transcend their inspirations the most. I mean how often do you really see Peacemaker nowadays really, ya know? Most people who would see The Comedian and Peacemaker now would recognize The Comedian first and probably find him more compelling. Poor Peacemaker got John Carter'd lol

I think the characters that would fit the DC universe the best would be Mime & Marionette imo but that's kinda a cheap answer seeing as they essentially are DC characters. Barring them, I would love to see Ozymandias in the DC universe more than The Comedian.

I feel the sonning that he would receive being in a universe with more big brains than just him; many being bigger brains. and the inevitable bounce back as he discovers and starts to master all the crazy science **** in the DC universe would be amazing. I imagine it would be like if you took a real life scientist polymath and dropped him in the DC universe.
    It's not just that Comedian has no viable parallel in terms of specific characters, but that there really isn't anyone on the Comedian's morality scale either. He's a villain who, for the most part, kills other villains. Even the Punisher isn't as vile and close to villainy as the Comedian, and in DC's binary world where you're either a white hat hero or a black hat villain, the Comedian could upset the balance and lead to some really interesting, new stories.

Ozymandias would be a good addition too, if Watchmen characters had to be included in the DCU, but I think ultimately he'd fail to truly set himself apart from the other evil Big Brains out there like Lex Luthor. Ozy is all "I want to save the world and only I am smart/capable enough to do so!" Just like dozens of evil genius DC supervillains. Ozy wouldn't be allowed to win very often, because that would entail making huge changes to the world, and.....other than still having hair, what really sets him apart from someone like Lex Luthor? I think Ozymandias falls into the binary morality of DC a little too easily, and while he'd get used plenty due to his pedigree and some of those stories would be great, I think he'd end up just kind of blending in in a way that ultimately devalues him.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It's not just that Comedian has no viable parallel in terms of specific characters, but that there really isn't anyone on the Comedian's morality scale either. He's a villain who, for the most part, kills other villains. Even the Punisher isn't as vile and close to villainy as the Comedian, and in DC's binary world where you're either a white hat hero or a black hat villain, the Comedian could upset the balance and lead to some really interesting, new stories.

Ozymandias would be a good addition too, if Watchmen characters had to be included in the DCU, but I think ultimately he'd fail to truly set himself apart from the other evil Big Brains out there like Lex Luthor. Ozy is all "I want to save the world and only I am smart/capable enough to do so!" Just like dozens of evil genius DC supervillains. Ozy wouldn't be allowed to win very often, because that would entail making huge changes to the world, and.....other than still having hair, what really sets him apart from someone like Lex Luthor? I think Ozymandias falls into the binary morality of DC a little too easily, and while he'd get used plenty due to his pedigree and some of those stories would be great, I think he'd end up just kind of blending in in a way that ultimately devalues him.
    on the Comedian:
    iunno about that, the Comedian is effectively just a bad guy that tolerated because he's used as a "good guy" by the powers that be. he never struck me as someone who's morality was particularly complex or unique. More visceral than most, sure, but not all that uncommon. Comedian always read to me like "what if the cops, but worse and he's a superhero kinda". to me, when dealing with a character like the Comedian what elevates him is the apparatus that he's a part of. his existence as part of the system makes the system questionable because he's so clearly evil. What I would love out of The Comedian's inclusion would be him being integrated into the government at an untouchable level, exposing the corruption inherent to a system that would sanction such a vile man, then see how the heroes deal with that.

on Ozymandias:
    that's the thing, I don't think Ozy is really on the level with the other big brains in the DC. That's what I find the most compelling about him being in the DC universe. Imagine if Lex Luther went to an universe where every other person is as smart if not smarter than him - he'd lose his ****. he may bounce back but I don't think the better story is another smart guy in DC with a God Complex, it's a dude with a God Complex constantly being sonned and learning to humble himself. it's like that scene where Lex mocked him in Doomsday Clock but extended across and entire story arc. I think that's an important story to be told right now, in our world of echo chambers where everyone thinks they're the Ozymandias or Rick Sanchez of their story; who aren't willing to humble themselves and be wrong. I'm an optimist, so I envision a story where he bounces back and in the process learns all these amazing things about the DC cosmology, but he mainly learns the right lessons, and ends his story retiring from his quest for further adulation. He never proves he's better than everyone or anyone and does what Lex should've done if he was truly intelligent: stop trying to prove he is.

...or it's a comedy of errors and he ultimately ends up like Howie in Uncut Gems lol. I'm sure Watchmen fans would rather see Ozy dead before he learns a lesson.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-17-2020 at 12:26 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    on the Comedian:
    I think we're on the same page here, just coming at it from different paragraphs.

on Ozymandias:
    ....okay, that's pretty cool. I could be down with Ozy ending up in DC and finding out he's not the smartest dude around anymore and struggling with that.

I feel like he'd be a good foil for Mr. Terrific......

I still don't think the Watchmen should be in the DCU, but these two at least could be interesting, good additions if it had to happen.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm up for more Watchmen but I'm not interested in another DCU crossover. I rather its stay in its own lane. I don't mind Doomsday Clock but I felt the DC connection was more of a drawback. I rather they just did another sequel like the show or had the Morrison take on the Charlton characters from Multiversity crossover.

However Reggie was my favorite character in Doomsday Clock so I wouldn't mind seeing him again.

Fantastic Member

member of the operation hummingbird trying to destroy traditional american values in heroism like batman makes sense cia psy op. Just another day in the office for this agency resource still in use in hollywood so transparent at least. At least he knows how to make doing things like this entertaining unlike romance which he is terrible at.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I find it amusing that HBO only gave Watchmen one season. HBO, the network that will run a hit into the ground. Take the hint, DC.
    There was only one season because Lindelof only had the one Watchmen story to tell.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    There was only one season because Lindelof only had the one Watchmen story to tell.
    Alan Moore waved his magic wand and made Lindelof forget his plans for more seasons

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    A "hit" HBO show that stops after one season because the showrunner only had one story to tell, Righhhhttt.

The real reason is that the ratings just weren't there. I will just let CBR explain it.

HBO's Watchmen Wasn't As Popular As You Think
    https://www.cbr.com/hbo-watchmen-vie...s-not-popular/

Of course they did have an update with a rep from HBO telling them that they were wrong and Watchmen was totally popular if you just judge it's popularity how they want you to judge it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    A "hit" HBO show that stops after one season because the showrunner only had one story to tell, Righhhhttt.

The real reason is that the ratings just weren't there. I will just let CBR explain it.

HBO's Watchmen Wasn't As Popular As You Think
    https://www.cbr.com/hbo-watchmen-vie...s-not-popular/

Of course they did have an update with a rep from HBO telling them that they were wrong and Watchmen was totally popular if you just judge it's popularity how they want you to judge it.
    Actually HBO has been pretty good about letting creators go where they want with a show. GOT for instance was criticized for the last two seasons being rushed and executives at the network basically said they would give the show runners all the resources and time they needed but they drew a line in the sand and said they wanted to end when they did. They could have begged McConaghy and Harrelson to stay on True Detective but the show runner said the story for them was over. Wire and Sopranos were pretty standard length. Veep ending amazingly at the right time. Really Silicon Valley was the big one that overstayed it’s welcome and that was because the creators wanted to keep going after Miller left.

HBO and other "cable" networks are funded by network subscriptions than ad revenue so they don't play by the same rules that broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, CW etc) do.

Plus even if Lindelof leaves, Watchmen has a team of writers so they could just have one of them step up and tell their story.

The Watchmen show I think fell below HBO's expectations. I think they were hoping it would be a bigger hit, but the ratings weren't there. Had it gotten better ratings I don't think there would be any question there would be more seasons in the works even if Lindelof wanted to move on. They would have just brought on another show runner. These networks are desperate to have hit series, especially HBO after GoT ended and Westworld hasn't been doing that great, so no way would they drop a hit show after one season if it got good ratings.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Ah, Watchmen.
    An enjoyable stand alone mini series that has become the DC Comics version of 'Weekend at Bernie's'

I have NO interest in this at all, and having King attached made it an even harder pass for me.
    His Heroes In Crisis has forever tainted him for me. Just... no.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.