Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

For some reason, since the very first I-plane off the Island, Steve still feels like an assignment to me - that Wonder Woman has been assigned this droll, little sweetheart, ..Steve Ken'Doll. In the real world, she'd be Joan of Arc, Lady Diana and Amelia Earhart, ..but, Steve having a viable rival makes no sense. Oh, no--how could that ever happen?

I can imagine an arrogant, playboy adventurer, ..an elegant, Arabian prince, ..and a tough, Asian secret agent.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-16-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member

Am I the only one who remembers Tom Tresser, Nemesis?

Wasn't he the new Steve Trevor when Steve was married to Etta?

I'm fine with Steve and Diana being friends. I don't think he has to leave.

As for the rivals thing...maybe, there would be a sorcerer in there, too! Maybe, there would be guys from lost civilizations or alien worlds, also. Somebody, besides Steve, secretly Diana's favorite, would be flirting with Wonder Woman and sharing her adventures, and it would be fun and whimsical ..and exciting! We would see the narrative force Steve to distinguish himself from the pack and remind us why he's the guy for Diana. We would see the narrative define Steve, in bold and italic action.

I think he needs that. I think he needs something to do that for us.

Furthermore, I imagine Diana would be calling Steve into action, from doing important, top-secret, X-filesy stuff, in faraway places. No matter where he was, he would drop everything and join her! This is because, coming out of the origin story, instead of stagnating in a virtual marriage, they would share a bond of friendship, mutual respect and trust, ..with the slightest hint of sexual curiosity that neither could deny. There would be no doubt that, besides Etta and Hippolyta, Steve would be the person she trusts more than anyone else, ..even if they were still working out the boy-girl stuff. Unlike now, I can imagine the Diana-Steve thing would be radioactive, exuding its own gravity, but, rocky, dangerous and ever-changing enough that we couldn't look away.

I'm just throwing junk at the wall, again. I have no magic potions, here.

Though, I guess I have answered my own question. Because there really isn't much of a supporting cast, interesting locales or anything else to do anything with, ..Steve is sort of stuck. He and Diana are stuck in the same, boring (even when sex is hinted), virtual marriage that they have been in, for the better of a century. Giving him a past, a family and further development would require editing, by editors, to keep writers from bugging up his continuity, in the comic, ..and, for whatever reason, it looks like that isn't happening in this comic. I guess it isn't likely to happen, anytime soon, either.

As long as editors tell writers to start from scratch, when they take the job, there won't be much of a Steve Trevor in the comic, worth giving a second thought to. This way, there'll be no real Wonderverse for editors to keep up with, except big, gimmicky things (Diana's new moustache) or general stuff (Steve having yellow hair). While these forum discussions are fun, we shouldn't expect things to get much more colorful, than our wild speculations.

Maybe, everything with Steve is just fine, ..and we should all roll over and go back to sleep.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-16-2020 at 09:27 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I love Steve and think he and Diana should ultimately end up together, but I also want some dramaz too in their relationship that frees them up from time to time to date other people who are different than either of them.

I can see Diana dating Trevor Barnes or Keith Griggs or a new character, and exploring what that relationship is like comparatively to Steve.

And, at the same token, have Steve date another ARGUS agent or another new character in added to the Wonder mythos.

I don’t mind some romantic, soap opera-y ish and rivals of love in my Wonder Woman stories.

As for Steve, I still think ARGUS is the best place for him and ARGUS should live on as a Wonder Woman concept to use and explore Diana’s world as well as the whole of the DC Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I love Steve and think he and Diana should ultimately end up together, but I also want some dramaz too in their relationship that frees them up from time to time to date other people who are different than either of them.

I can see Diana dating Trevor Barnes or Keith Griggs or a new character, and exploring what that relationship is like comparatively to Steve.

And, at the same token, have Steve date another ARGUS agent or another new character in added to the Wonder mythos.

I don’t mind some romantic, soap opera-y ish and rivals of love in my Wonder Woman stories.

As for Steve, I still think ARGUS is the best place for him and ARGUS should live on as a Wonder Woman concept to use and explore Diana’s world as well as the whole of the DC Universe.
    Keith Griggs...great foil for Steve Trevor!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    With how long Steve was essentially out of Diana's life Post-Crisis/Pre-Rebirth, I don't think he's outlived his usefulness. I think things are just getting restarted between him and Diana. I'm hoping he returns to the book soon in a prominent role especially with WW84 coming out soon.
    I agree with this

One thing with how things are what should Steve's knowledge in magic be? I'm not saying he should do magic.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    One thing with how things are what should Steve's knowledge in magic be? I'm not saying he should do magic.
    I would say minor knowledge and should really only reflect his time spent with Diana. His story is about how his entire world changed meeting Diana and him adjusting to it.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Incredible Member

I think Steve Trevor can work. But, like all of Diana’s family, friends and foes, he needs consistency. And who knows how Diana being the “first” superhero is going to impact their story going forward.

I think Steve’s journey from the military / soldier to humanitarian (i.e. flying for aid organisations, whether food drops or evacuating civilians) to a member of ARGUS can add interesting layers to his character. What if Diana inspires his more humanitarian exploits. But, he’s then driven by a need to help her on a grander scale by joining ARGUS. How would those decisions impact their relationship? How does it impact their actions (e.g. does Steve feel comfortable engaging in riskier missions for ARGUS believing that Diana will be able to save him)?

Steve’s family could also be expanded, similar to Lucy Lane and General Lane. What if his sister was a historian who occasionally helped out due to her expertise? Is his mother also in the military or is she a doctor, a politician or maybe a diplomat? I guess, it would be good if Steve had more than one reason for his world and Diana’s world to overlap from time to time.

That typed, I am beyond ready for Diana to have a serious, female love interest. So, if Steve Trevor needed to take a backseat for a year or two and simply be a helpful ally while Diana dates someone else, I’d be okay with that (although it is contradictory to my very first comment about consistency).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I think Steve Trevor can work. But, like all of Diana’s family, friends and foes, he needs consistency. And who knows how Diana being the “first” superhero is going to impact their story going forward.

I think Steve’s journey from the military / soldier to humanitarian (i.e. flying for aid organisations, whether food drops or evacuating civilians) to a member of ARGUS can add interesting layers to his character. What if Diana inspires his more humanitarian exploits. But, he’s then driven by a need to help her on a grander scale by joining ARGUS. How would those decisions impact their relationship? How does it impact their actions (e.g. does Steve feel comfortable engaging in riskier missions for ARGUS believing that Diana will be able to save him)?

Steve’s family could also be expanded, similar to Lucy Lane and General Lane. What if his sister was a historian who occasionally helped out due to her expertise? Is his mother also in the military or is she a doctor, a politician or maybe a diplomat? I guess, it would be good if Steve had more than one reason for his world and Diana’s world to overlap from time to time.

That typed, I am beyond ready for Diana to have a serious, female love interest. So, if Steve Trevor needed to take a backseat for a year or two and simply be a helpful ally while Diana dates someone else, I’d be okay with that (although it is contradictory to my very first comment about consistency).
    In Perez, his mom was in the military and in the airforce. She first met the Amazons before her son. In Golden age he had a nephew and a niece. This is where this can be interesting. Steve never got to know what happened to his mom. This is where maybe a slight simialirity with Diana. He was raised by a single parents too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Keith Griggs...great foil for Steve Trevor!
    Definitely!

I need more romantic soap opera dramaz in the title. A too perfect in love Diana and Steve is fun for a while, but I think their lives should be as complicated as ours - they both have human emotions and faults.

E12C6495-900B-4B06-B33D-BBCAD1E36E2E.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I would say minor knowledge and should really only reflect his time spent with Diana. His story is about how his entire world changed meeting Diana and him adjusting to it.
    This. I think he gains a better understanding of it over time via his experiences with Diana and through his work in ARGUS. Steve is smart and resourceful and deals in the reality he experiences around him and files it for use later.

One thing Steve is to me is the James Bond of the DCU, in the resourceful, smart, improvisational, and adaptational ways... not the sexist, self-destructive, emotionally stunted ways... We need more of the adept, adventurer, do-gooder, Pine version of Steve from the film adapted into the comics.

Honestly, I’m as worried about Steve finding new legs and resonance in the title as I am about Etta Candy doing the same.

As it relates to Steve, I think Etta needs to be removed from the military and/or ARGUS and become Diana’s civilian best friend who gets caught up in Steve and Diana’s adventures.

It’d make a much more interesting trinity of the three of them together if Steve and Etta didn’t have a similar background (e.g. both ARGUS agents.) Let Steve bring that POV and give Etta a new POV that at times may differ from Diana‘s and especially Steve‘s.

Steve and Etta need some character arcs together and playing off one another, just as much as with Diana. I’m reminded of the character arcs of the Scooby Gang in the BTVS series and how those story arcs and character growth/change sometimes happened in relation to Buffy, sometimes each other, and sometimes Buffy’s villains.

This. I think he gains a better understanding of it over time via his experiences with Diana and through his work in ARGUS. Steve is smart and resourceful and deals in the reality he experiences around him and files it for use later.

One thing Steve is to me is the James Bond of the DCU, in the resourceful, smart, improvisational, and adaptational ways... not the sexist, self-destructive, emotionally stunted ways... We need more of the adept, adventurer, do-gooder, Pine version of Steve from the film adapted into the comics.
    THIS might be the best Steve Trevor, since the Golden Age, I think! American James Bond...

...I think Etta needs to be removed from the military and/or ARGUS and become Diana’s civilian best friend who gets caught up in Steve and Diana’s adventures...Steve and Etta need some character arcs together and playing off one another, just as much as with Diana. I’m reminded of the character arcs of the Scooby Gang in the BTVS series and how those story arcs and character growth/change sometimes happened in relation to Buffy, sometimes each other, and sometimes Buffy’s villains.
    I'm tired of sad, angry and morose Etta. She's not Mr. T. She should be almost pathologically upbeat and ..a little weird. Furthermore, it's strange that we can't imagine a black Etta, who is all of those things.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-18-2020 at 10:40 AM.