Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I wonder if this story is going to mention the Sin-Eater from Sinner Takes All who was radicalized while fighting in the Middle East.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

All-New Member

so I just got back into comics and ASM (haven't read since the early 90's).

decided to start on issue 44 as the previous arc just ended and seemed like a good starting point.

read issue 44 and am kind of confused.. then read the prologue panel in this thread and am even more confused..

can someone give me a basic coles notes of whats going on? would be -greatly- appreciated!

Thanks!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I really don't care for the Sin-Eater retcons. Making him supernatural takes away part of what made the original story and Peter David's follow-ups such classics, that it was one relatively normal disturbed guy who caused so much destruction.
    Feeling much the same.....I'll still give it a go but not overly hopeful

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    so I just got back into comics and ASM (haven't read since the early 90's).

decided to start on issue 44 as the previous arc just ended and seemed like a good starting point.

read issue 44 and am kind of confused.. then read the prologue panel in this thread and am even more confused..

can someone give me a basic coles notes of whats going on? would be -greatly- appreciated!

Thanks!
    there's a spooky bandage demon from hell named kindred who wants something from spider-guy

to succeed, he has resurrected the original sin-eater with super powers and he's been keeping an eye out for sinners like overdrive, the lethal legion, and more

kindred has also been contacting spider-man in his dreams and his plans involve other spider-heroes and current director of ravencroft norman osborn

in this one-shot, sin-eater's new origin will be established, while in asm #45 peter and the pimped out sin-eater will encounter each other and kick off kindred's plan
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The one where Stan, ultimately unable to live with himself and what he'd done, got killed by the police by threatening a child with an empty gun?
    Yeah, although there is a bit more to the story (Spider-Man seeing that the beating he gave Stan has serious consequences.) I know they wisely chose to collect both stories in the premiere hardcover format.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Yeah, although there is a bit more to the story (Spider-Man seeing that the beating he gave Stan has serious consequences.) I know they wisely chose to collect both stories in the premiere hardcover format.
    Namely that Stan ended up with a permanent limp and stutter, the latter out of brain damage stemming from the beating. And yeah, they also collected both stories in TPB format, which was how I first read them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    there's a spooky bandage demon from hell named kindred who wants something from spider-guy

to succeed, he has resurrected the original sin-eater with super powers and he's been keeping an eye out for sinners like overdrive, the lethal legion, and more

kindred has also been contacting spider-man in his dreams and his plans involve other spider-heroes and current director of ravencroft norman osborn

in this one-shot, sin-eater's new origin will be established, while in asm #45 peter and the pimped out sin-eater will encounter each other and kick off kindred's plan

thanks!

so Kindred.. is he a new character thus all the speculation as to who he is (Gwen, harry, etc)?

or is he a character that takes on new hosts etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    thanks!

so Kindred.. is he a new character thus all the speculation as to who he is (Gwen, harry, etc)?

or is he a character that takes on new hosts etc?
    Kindred is a new character that debuded in Spencer's first issue ASM #1 (v.5) aka ASM #802.

Here is the full backstory.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Kindred_(Earth-616)

"Formerly a human sent to Hell, the entity known as Kindred became a demon and rapidly climbed through the ranks. Possessing an intimate familiarity with Peter Parker to the point of affectionately referring to him as "Pete", and Norman Osborn who terrified Kindred when he was human– both as Norman and the Green Goblin– and inspired his demonic form, the demon began torturing Mysterio, an enemy of Spider-Man's who had previously committed suicide, relentlessly until Beck agreed to serve him."

etc...

We don't know who he is thus all the speculation. But we are assuming we will find out in the next serveral issues at the big ASM 850 is approaching.

Do we have any idea how Jess, anya etc become involved?
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Kindred is a new character that debuded in Spencer's first issue ASM #1 (v.5) aka ASM #802.

Here is the full backstory.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Kindred_(Earth-616)

"Formerly a human sent to Hell, the entity known as Kindred became a demon and rapidly climbed through the ranks. Possessing an intimate familiarity with Peter Parker to the point of affectionately referring to him as "Pete", and Norman Osborn who terrified Kindred when he was human– both as Norman and the Green Goblin– and inspired his demonic form, the demon began torturing Mysterio, an enemy of Spider-Man's who had previously committed suicide, relentlessly until Beck agreed to serve him."

etc...

We don't know who he is thus all the speculation. But we are assuming we will find out in the next serveral issues at the big ASM 850 is approaching.
    Obviously the two people terrified of Norm were Harry ( who could never please his father), and Gwen. What is interesting is the fact other spiders are involved ( both with Mephisto ( Miles and Otto) and Sin Eater/Kindred). This makes it look more them merely a revenge on Parker and Osborn story. The question becomes not only who but why? I am also interested in the motivation of Mephisto. We all know he is pure evil. But why the spiders? Peter is the strongest and even Pete is small fry compared to a character who is on the Galactus, Loki, Thor, Odin, Captain Marvel ( Carol) type power level. I am expecting a lot of shocks, twists and turns before this is over. One thing I am predicting is the Mephisto story to continue with Miles even after the Peter part ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Do we have any idea how Jess, anya etc become involved?
    Not really. It seems that Kindred targeted Madame Web and she sort of shared the dream (?) with the rest of the Spider-Fam. They'll probably gonna elaborate more on that in the following issue of ASM.
    Last edited by Spider-Chan; 07-19-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Oh, man. This is issue is sooooo good. And very clearly a love letter to both of PAD's Sin-Eater stories.

BANNED

I think this issue rules out Jean DeWolff as Kindred. That was a theory floating around last week.

I didn't like this issue. As a whole, I think this one-shot fails to deliver an attractive backstory to Sin Eater. I'm a little tired of the "everything is connected to his childhood" approach that has become a trope in superhero comicbooks through retcons, and Kindred' schtick of playing with what's real and what's not has stretched far too long. I'm going from interested to bored, so I expect this mystery is solved in ASM 49 or 50. Visually, it has great art, Jordie Bellaire is one of my favorite colorists and I wasn't familiar with Guillermo Sanna, but he has a way of playing with shadows that works perfectly in this story

BTW: I haven't read Peter David and Sal Buscema's follow up to The Death of Jean DeWolff, so I'm not completely aware what is retcon by Spencer and what was introduced by David and Buscema
    Last edited by Chubistian; 07-22-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I didn't like this issue. As a whole, I think this one-shot fails to deliver an attractive backstory to Sin Eater. I'm a little tired of the "everything is connected to his childhood" approach that has become a trope in superhero comicbooks through retcons, and Kindred' schtick of playing with what's real and what's not has stretched far too long. I'm going from interested to bored, so I expect this mystery is solved in ASM 49 or 50. Visually, it has great art, Jordie Bellaire is one of my favorite colorists and I wasn't familiar with Guillermo Sanna, but he has a way of playing with shadows that works perfectly in this story
    I respectfully disagree. This was a masterful and creepy issue with great art and solid writing. As to your point about Carter and DeWolffe, yes; they were lovers as Jean was killed in bed (and it was confirmed in the original story). Artwork is beautiful and eerie in all the right ways, and the horror element was top-notch.