Mighty Member

Default Who (in Comics) decides who joins the JL??

Hello,
    I wanted to ask

1. who decides (in Comics) who enters the JL?
    I mean in YJ Anime its clear that the JL votes for new members...

2. Based on which criterias?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

In Meltzer's run and McDuffie's it was between the Trinity.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Since the beginning (I mean as they CREATED the JL?)?

Spectacular Member

originally it's supposed to be a vote. A justice league vote, they vote you in, they vote you out or you quit.

Yeah, the YJ cartoon was accurate to the comics there. You apply, and the existing team members vote on whether to let you in or not. They also vote on expulsions, though you can of course quit at any time.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

In Meltzer, Trinity agreeing
    In New 52, all members agreeing
    I think in Rebirth, all members agreeing too

The criteria...

In Meltzer's it's who the Trinity think fits and by voting. They already have a list of heroes they considers, which they bring in the photos since it was a private meeting between the three.

Batman wanted Shazam because he's pure, but Wonder Woman doesn't want him because he's a child.
    Wonder Woman wanted Firestorm because of his powers, but Batman thinks he's too inexperienced.
    Batman thinks Firehawk is only a Teen Titans while Wonder Woman thinks she's experienced enough, and seeing both of them keep disagreeing Superman suggested they just vote.
    Superman and Wonder Woman wanted Nightwing for his hand to hand combat, but Batman already talked to him on his own and Nightwing refused, which actually broke both the agreement and voting rule... but Batman absolutely not allowing them to vote on Nightwing.

In New 52 they also have a list of heroes that they call as candidates, and some of them already act as a kind of reserve to help fight in Throne of Atlantis War. Nightwing, Black Canary, Vixen, Firestorm, and so on.

They hold a meeting, inviting the candidates, but then there's an attack, and the new members who act efficiently got chosen (Atomica, Element Woman, and I think Firestorm?). Though Nightwing refused regardless because he was still angry at Batman.

Oh and in later New 52 I believe Luthor blackmail himself in, then bring in Shazam and Captain Cold. I think.

In Rebirth I believe it was already a long time coming for Ollie, who the team had refused during New 52 but has proven himself up until now. Only this time Ollie refused.

So the candidates are either already experienced heroes or has potential. Some may even be teenagers without much experience (New 52 Firestorm and Shazam).

Honestly I feel like it's really subjective...

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Since the beginning (I mean as they CREATED the JL?)?
    "The Trinity" wasn't such a big thing until modern times. The original formation happened more organically due to circumstances. In that way it was similar to Johns's Nu52 story where there was a threat and they banned together to fight it then just stayed together. IIRC, Batman and Superman weren't as involved early on and in post-crisis, the Trinity weren't there at all. (that's when the founders were GL, Flash, Black Canary, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter with Batman and Superman kinda coming in at the end).

And as for Meltzer's run, I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that while the Trinity were deliberating and sitting in judgement of other heroes, Green Lantern, Green Arrow and Black Canary - the "other trinity" just went ahead and gathered a team on their own (Red Tornado, Red Arrow and Hawkgirl)- again due to circumstances rather than design. Then they hooked up with the Trinity later. (then I think Batman brought in Black Lightning)

But aside from when a team's already established and they're voting in someone new, the various formations usually happen organically, they don't have a chairman and rules and bylaws the way the Avengers have in the past.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-17-2020 at 05:08 AM.

As others indicate, voting in new members was established pretty much from the go

JLA #4
    Begins...

And by stories end....

Although this was predicated on the original seven having already come together and founded the League(whose founding tale would soon come in #9), So only those coming after the original 7, were then being voted in.
    Starting with Green Arrow in #4(above^), Atom #14, Hawkman #31, etc...

Meltzer's run from what I remember both changed but also reaffirmed this, by cleverly having it both ways.
    The Trinity although now founding members (or at least coming together with the idea of a new League ), begin to vote on new potential members.
    Yet , the whole point of the story arc, was the League came together by way of the action not the vote, By the end the story a League had come together, despite their initial "voting", and that's who became the League.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-17-2020 at 07:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think in Meltzer's run the trinity only had the final say because the League as an entity ceased to function and the DCU was recovering from Infinite Crisis.