Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Oh yeah. And Trek seemed to have a trend for that, as they did the same thing in Next Gen with Denise Crosby. "Hey, can I have six weeks off to make a Stephen King movie? Maybe my character can go off on a secret assignment or something for a few episodes?" "NO! Ungrateful wench! Tasha dies!"

(And bringing her back as a half-Romulan daughter of her original character was a weird, weird choice.)

Jadzia was easily my favorite character on DS9 (I loved her almost transgressive acting, moving and speaking like she was a man, at times, manspreading over chairs or whatever), and Ezri was darn near my least favorite, so that one really stung.
    Technically they brought her back as an alternate-universe version who then travelled to the past; and that her helping restore the timeline would've been a much better death/send-off even if it wasn't quite the same Tasha.

Then again she was given another (offscreen) bad death even then pretty much, being killed trying to escape after spending years in Romulan captivity.

I think in a few ways they were mainly trying to top Best of Both Worlds's cliffhanger with Redemption Part I which ended season 4. "Tasha's back but she's a Romulan? What the?"
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I know not everyone watches soap operas but killing off John Abbott and Brad Carlton on The Young And The Restless were major mistakes IMO.

But I could start a whole thread on wrongful soap opera deaths. (General Hospital's Quartermaine family!!!)
    I thought the actor who played John Abbott retired, and wanted off the show?!?!? Killing Brad made no sense especially when they were going to send the actor off to Bold and the Beautiful anyway.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Technically they brought her back as an alternate-universe version who then travelled to the past; and that her helping restore the timeline would've been a much better death/send-off even if it wasn't quite the same Tasha.

Then again she was given another (offscreen) bad death even then pretty much, being killed trying to escape after spending years in Romulan captivity.

I think in a few ways they were mainly trying to top Best of Both Worlds's cliffhanger with Redemption Part I which ended season 4. "Tasha's back but she's a Romulan? What the?"
    They tried to fix it--in Star Trek "Online" (considered to be soft canon), it is revealed that Tasha wasn't really executed.

In either case,they didn't bring Denise back until after Gene and the folks who worked on the first season were gone. Working conditions for the earlier seasons sounded terrible.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

But I could start a whole thread on wrongful soap opera deaths. (General Hospital's Quartermaine family!!!)
    Meh. Days of Our Lives resurrects more characters than the X-Books -- mad scientists with resurrection formulas, and they're putting engram microchips in other characters now! Even organ transplants haven't stopped them.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Meh. Days of Our Lives resurrects more characters than the X-Books -- mad scientists with resurrection formulas, and they're putting engram microchips in other characters now! Even organ transplants haven't stopped them.
    LOL.... wasn't Stefano Dimera killed and brought back something like 20 times? seems like the only show to kill characters off and bring them back more often was Kenny on South Park.

I stopped watching How To Get Away With Murder in a huff when they killed off Wes in the middle of the third season.

(But during quarantine I returned to the show on Netflix...and I have to admit it was still quite enjoyable to me without him.)

Incredible Member

with the death of catherine in the old ron perlman beauty and the beast tv series , the female co-lead ,it doomed the series and it managed to crawl into one more season before it was canceled.

Sleepy Hollow really tried to carry on without Abbie Mills. You can see them trying really hard, but without her character to play off Icabod, the series sputtered into mediocrity.

Russell Taylor, Major Crimes. I would have preferred to have seen him promoted into Pope's position (meaning Pope would get promoted/retired).

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Sleepy Hollow really tried to carry on without Abbie Mills. You can see them trying really hard, but without her character to play off Icabod, the series sputtered into mediocrity.
    Agreed. And that show had deeper issues.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

Interesting corollary is when an actor or actress dies and they absolutely will not kill off the character they played.

On the Andy Griffith show, I think they were still making references to having just talked to Floyd the Barber several years after Howard McNear had died.

Granted, that could be considered a tribute especially in a comedy where it's depressing to talk about characters dying.

Aside from killing off characters, especially on older shows, there was a tendency to never speak of a character again if the actor left the show, almost as if the character never existed. Again, from TAGS, there was the decision to never mention Elle Walker again after Elinore Donahue left after the first season.
    Power with Girl is better.

Tara in Sons of Anarchy, largely because it anchored an overly grim final season.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    On the Andy Griffith show, I think they were still making references to having just talked to Floyd the Barber several years after Howard McNear had died.
    Maybe you're thinking of Mayberry RFD. I never watched that show, but McNear died in 1969 and The Andy Griffith Show ended in 1968.

I believe McNear left TAGS due to health reasons, which you could clearly see his struggling health issues in his final episode "Goober's Contest". I believe it was in the season 8 episode "Goober The Executive" where Andy mentions that Floyd up and decided to retire which is why Emmett took over the place where his barber shop used to be.

Maybe you're thinking of Mayberry RFD. I never watched that show, but McNear died in 1969 and The Andy Griffith Show ended in 1968.

I believe McNear left TAGS due to health reasons, which you could clearly see his struggling health issues in his final episode "Goober's Contest". I believe it was in the season 8 episode "Goober The Executive" where Andy mentions that Floyd up and decided to retire which is why Emmett took over the place where his barber shop used to be.
    I think what must have happened is that, when Floyd stopped appearing, my small child self asked my parents why he wasn't there anymore and they made the assumption the actor had died.
    Power with Girl is better.

Yeah, McNear left the show about a year before it ended because he had severe trouble remembering his lines.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST