Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I don't think they killed off the main character from the first Pacific Rim, they just kind of had him vanish (They did however almost kill him off). However they did kill Mako off and made Newton the bad guy...
    Newt going evil made sense.

Killing Mako in a lame-ass way, sucked hard.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Given the show had issues with writing for Laurel they could had gone forward undamaged by her death IMO especially given the introduction of Dinah Drake but making Laurel's last moments giving Olicity her blessing was just the worst and the major issue making what should had been Laurel's goodbye into a victory to one Fan base again JMO.
    Even the situation of her death (she doesn't get a heroic death and it's to fulfill a grave they didn't even plan out until the last-minute) and the treatment of Katie Cassidy makes it look worse.

I'm fine with the entire R1 crew all being wiped out.
    In fact it's what I always imagined the fate of the (until then unnamed - "Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans ....") was, even before the film, it's what I expected.
    They were designed to be the unsung "nobodies" of war, who don't get the credit, the medals, the kiss from the princess, the recognition, the glory, or any reward.
    To the contrary, they are doing what everyone else writes off as a doomed, hopeless failed mission.
    That's them, there is no one else for it, and they knew it.

Yet I do wish there was one scene that hinted that right before he's taken down, that K2 had secretly downloaded his memories (specifically of them) into the mainframe, and by extension, interlaced into the transmission and disc that everyone is after.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-17-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I read the Pacific Rim one and assumed they were talking about Mako lol.

Laurel on Arrow. Even though they eventually created the excellent Black Siren character, I think them killing off Laurel changed the show forever and not for the better.

George on Grey's Anatomy.

With Bobby on Dallas, how did they not write his original death open ended? That was the biggest crime.

In GI Joe 2, they edited out the scene where they show the list of the dead names that included the Season 1 cast, some of them were supposed to be brought back if there was ever a 3rd...
    That made me quit the show. It was then that I knew this show is just pointlessly overdramatic. There was no reason whatsoever to kill George. He had a perfect departure storyline.

Astonishing Member

While not quite being killed off in the movies, Veronica Roth's killing of her main character in the Divergent novels was perhaps the worst example of tonally mis-reading your fan base. (Or she just didn't care about $$$ and wanted to tell the story she wanted to tell). It literally killed the franchise, killed the 3rd movie, and any chance of the franchise having a 4th film or TV series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Sergeant James Doakes in Dexter. Who clearly was a bad cop but compared to Dexter i felt the story needed someone to disrupt his life. After his death for me that show lost a lot of tension and it just felt like a love letter to the compulsions of a neighbourhood serial killer.
    He's better dead than what the books did. I've read (listened) the book series and I don't recommend it as while the first book is good and the first TV season is close to the book they diverge wildly after that. No matter how bad you might think the TV show got, the books got worse. Doakes lives in the book series but is captured by a killer and has his feet, hands, and tongue all cut off. He goes around after this is some special chair and with a computer voice box and he just swears at Dexter all the time. It just becomes a running joke in the books. He never figured out what Dexter was in the books, that was La Guerta in the books and she was killed off in the first book by Brian- one of the three major changes in the first book with the others being that Debra find out then about Dexter and that Brian lives and is a recurring character in the series. The books really go off the rails after this as every book plot seems to involve the kids getting kidnapped. Dexter is training the kids to be serial killers. The dark passenger is actually an alien entity from space that possesses creatures to make them do violence and has been on earth for millions of years randomly possessing creatures (I'm not kidding, this actually a plotline in the 3rd book explaining what the dark passenger is). One book revolves around a girl whose fantasy is to be eaten by other people so she keeps trying to get herself kidnapped by a cannibal cult so she can be eaten. And the books, except the first, are narrated by the author himself who decides to give Dexter a cliche gay man voice with the lisp and everything. And the supporting cast barely exists in the books. Angel gets one or two lines per book max. La Guerta is killed first book. Vince barely shows up most books. Quinn doesn't exist. Debra is ever present but a wholly different character than her TV character and is utterly unlikable. Rita exists only as a reason for Cody and Astor to be around and they are little evil hellspawn. I only listened because I spend a lot of time in the car at work and devour audio books so I was desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I do watch The 100, its a much better show than one would expect given it was adapated from YA books. The whole thing over Lexa was so ridiculous. Lexa's role on The 100 was only a recurring character that only appeared on a handful of episodes each year. The actress, Alicia Debnam-Carey, had just landed one of the lead roles on Fear the Walking Dead which was a huge step up for her pay and profile wise. They tried to make it work with her being on both shows and were able to for season 1 of FtWD as it was short and filmed at a different time than The 100. But season 2 of FtWD and whatever season it was of The 100 at the time (three or four I think) were going to be filmed at the same time. The shows are filmed several thousands miles apart and in different countries so it became increasingly impossible for Debnam-Carey to be in both shows and of course she is going to choose FtWD since its such a bigger show with an obviously better paycheck and higher profile for her. Which left The 100 in a bind as the nature of her role and character isn't one where they could write her out by having her go visit a distant family member or put her in a coma. It was death or recast her character. The FtWD dead show runners were actually extremely gracious in re-arranging their shooting schedules to allow Debnam-Carey to be available long enough to give Lexa a proper sendoff and then to later return during the season finale in a special appearance as a ghost vision in Clarke's head (Clarke was Lexa's girlfriend). Meanwhile Fear the Walking Dead is still going and Debnam-Carey is one of only two characters still left from season one and as such is one of the two main characters on the show so I'd say she made the right career choice.

Furthermore, this was hardly the only gay relationship on The 100. There is a front and center gay male relationship and Clarke has had flings with other girls since Lexa so they aren't hiding any sort of LGBT stuff.
    Ah, thanks for the detailed explanation. Since I wasn't into the fandom, I was only aware of some of the details (I did know about the actress going over to Fear the Walking Dead, but I didn't know they reworked their schedule for her, that was generous).

But yeah, the backlash against the show was very loud and long lasting, so I imagine those who were upset by the character's death weren't willing to accept any explanations. To be fair to them, there did seem to be a trend in shows of lesbians being killed by stray projectiles not meant for them (Lexa, Tara from Buffy, Denise on The Walking Dead), but I had a feeling the entire thing was a bit overblown, much like how I feel Tara's death wasn't malicious in nature. I just never looked much more into the issue.

The move to FtWD definitely sounds like it was a good decision on her part.

Extraordinary Member

Laurel in Arrow - largely because not only did they fail to plan ahead to make it work when they came up with the grave idea, but also because they’d finally started writing that character the way they should have... and then killed her off. Laurel remains ground zero for how treating a female superhero as a love interest first can end up backfiring, particularly if the genre of romantic storytelling you’re used to telling is marked by sloppy, unbalanced writing - they basically screwed up the character for two season, started pulling her out of the nosedive in the third, but since she no longer fit the romantic interest archetype they wanted, they killed her off... and promptly took the fan favorite love interest and tried to make her fit the archetype instead.

This one may be a bit controversial or eye-roll worthy, but understand it’s more nuanced than what you might at first think...

Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi.

I don’t actually object to the idea of killing off Luke, or with the general idea of him expiring while inspiring others with an illusion.

...But the context of the Sequel Trilogy, The Last Jedi’s stroy, and the real world development of the films made it a bad move. Rey didn’t get “the rub” from Luke in sufficient amount to honor her story as the new lead character and new Jedi, one way or another, the Skywalker were stuck with a school shooter neo-Nazi as the only new member of their family, and when Luke’s story was sitting on his butt while millions died, putting on a glorified smoke show to rescue a few dozen people and then pretending that smoke show was more inspiring than the younger heroes and Han destroying Starkiller Base and avenging the Hosnian System... his exit basically exists only to give him an overwrought epilogue that doesn’t help the story going forward, and honestly kind of devalues it by interrupting the story and giving him the spotlight at Rey’s expense.

And with the passing of Carrie Fisher, it also meant that the issues with the Skywalkers and Rey’s need for “the rub” only increased.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Niffleheim

He's better dead than what the books did. I've read (listened) the book series and I don't recommend it as while the first book is good and the first TV season is close to the book they diverge wildly after that. No matter how bad you might think the TV show got, the books got worse. Doakes lives in the book series but is captured by a killer and has his feet, hands, and tongue all cut off. He goes around after this is some special chair and with a computer voice box and he just swears at Dexter all the time. It just becomes a running joke in the books. He never figured out what Dexter was in the books, that was La Guerta in the books and she was killed off in the first book by Brian- one of the three major changes in the first book with the others being that Debra find out then about Dexter and that Brian lives and is a recurring character in the series. The books really go off the rails after this as every book plot seems to involve the kids getting kidnapped. Dexter is training the kids to be serial killers. The dark passenger is actually an alien entity from space that possesses creatures to make them do violence and has been on earth for millions of years randomly possessing creatures (I'm not kidding, this actually a plotline in the 3rd book explaining what the dark passenger is). One book revolves around a girl whose fantasy is to be eaten by other people so she keeps trying to get herself kidnapped by a cannibal cult so she can be eaten. And the books, except the first, are narrated by the author himself who decides to give Dexter a cliche gay man voice with the lisp and everything. And the supporting cast barely exists in the books. Angel gets one or two lines per book max. La Guerta is killed first book. Vince barely shows up most books. Quinn doesn't exist. Debra is ever present but a wholly different character than her TV character and is utterly unlikable. Rita exists only as a reason for Cody and Astor to be around and they are little evil hellspawn. I only listened because I spend a lot of time in the car at work and devour audio books so I was desperate.
    Wow! that is some lunacy. OK. Thanks for this even though i still would have preferred they kept Doakes' character and compared to how I was unhappy about how he died in the show the book sounds even more horrific.

Extraordinary Member

I think it was a mistake to kill off Roseanne Connor on Roseanne.

I know many people like The Connors and that's great if you do. I've tried watching it a couple of times and it's just not funny to me without Roseanne.

I only listened because I spend a lot of time in the car at work and devour audio books so I was desperate.
    That's where podcasts come in handy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Gijoe 2--Gijoe fans rejected the film refusing to see it after they kill everyone off including duke and bragged about in the trailer. Good job guys. No shock the toys bombed. no kidding. You ticked your fanbase off. What did you think was going to happen?
    I agree, killing off the first GI Joe cast was utterly stupid. What made it worst was they made an inferior second movie with Dwayne Johnson (the most overrated actor in Hollywood) and Bruce Willis (who was way past his prime). I don’t know what Paramount was thinking.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Cottonmouth in Luke Cage. The quality of the second half of season one took a dive after his death. Diamondback made for a lousy main villain and was too over the top for my liking.

Mighty Member

The big one that comes to mind for me is Laurel on Arrow. That was the moment the show lost me. Quite literally, actually. That was the last episode I watched until the final season. And it's not like Laurel was some great, well realized character. The writing had been shoddy and scattered, and they could never quite decide whether they wanted the character to be tough, a damsel, or just a dick. But it felt like they were finally getting a handle on what they wanted to do with her once they put her in the Canary outfit for good. Plus, the manner of her death was extremely, extremely lame and disrespectful to the character.

Plus, even the creatives behind the show ultimately agreed it was a mistake, because they brought the actress back to play a slightly different version of the same character. In this case, their early mistake ends up being a boon, as they are able to shed some of the baggage that weighed down Laurel and give her some more bite with the Black Siren role.

The other big, big one is Cordelia on Angel. Which they actually did twice, more or less. And for crap reasons both times. It didn't hurt the show as much as it could have, because season 5 pivoted so heavily on the amazing chemistry between Boreanaz and Marsters, and those two absolutely killed it. But you could feel the gaping absence almost any time they turned to another character to fill the same kind of role in the stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Cottonmouth in Luke Cage. The quality of the second half of season one took a dive after his death. Diamondback made for a lousy main villain and was too over the top for my liking.
    While I agree completely with your assessment of the back half of season 1, it's not like the creatives really had a choice on this one. They had Ali for the episodes he was in, but that was all he was available for. So either the character gets killed off or leaves, not to be seen again until a potential S2 where they MIGHT get the actor back. It's hard to blame the show for real world scheduling issues, even if they mishandled Diamondback.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Angel killing off Lilah, Cordelia and Fred all in short succession. The latter was the only one that lead to anything of worth because Illyria was a cool character and Amy Acker absolutely crushed it: helps that the original plan as for Willow to resurrect Fred in season 6 so Acker would play both roles.

The former two are inexcusable and a terrible, cliche waste of two great female characters. Lilah especially getting replaced by Eve was the biggest downgrade the show ever had.