Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    100% agree. There was no point they couldn't still have her appear in the show and at the same time release the actress to pursue the roles she wanted.
    Except that they wanted to use Dax as a full time character. And the Trill species left them a wide open door to both let the actress leave and keep Dax, if not Jadzia.

I don't agree with this one at all. As much as I loved Jadzia, I think keeping Dax in the mix with the new host was absolutely the right call. It took them a bit to find the right voice for Ezri, but she created drama amidst the characters, expanded the lore, and gave us Nicole deBoer. I may be biased, because the pre-Picard EU made Ezri into an excellent and well rounded character.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Definitely Bobby Ewing on Dallas.

It was such a bad decision that TPTB decided to wipe out an entire season of the show ("it was all Pam's dream") in order to get the character back on the show.

While the season where he came back was a great one, viewers were insulted by the ridiculous idea and the ratings dropped.
    I'm not certain, but I seem to recall that Duffy was onto bigger and better that never materialized when he chose to leave Dallas. I can see where the show-runners didn't expect to have any chance of getting him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Optimus and most of the Autobots in the 1986 Transformers movie. Optimus was eventually brought back, but the powers that be severely underestimated their connections with kids. The movie and then the show were full of unfamiliar faces, and the show was soon cancelled. There's a reason why the OGs keep coming back in one form or another in different incarnations and iterations.
    Not to mention the animation quality for most of the episodes took a nosedive before the cancellation. But, I agree with everything else you wrote.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 07-18-2020 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    They killed Optimus and the others as a way to then push the new toys onto kids, I think that they admit it in the commentary for the movie or something along those lines...
    Of course. The entire franchise was created to sell toys. The toys came first, then the show.

And yet as we've seen in incarnation after incarnation (even within G1 with Optimus and Bumblebee/Goldbug!), reissuing, remaking, and making new versions of old toys and characters isn't dependent on killing them off. How many Jazzes or Ironhides do we have? And side by side with newer ones like Arcee.

Making a Rodimus toy didn't mean killing off Prowl and Ratchet. For that matter, we have toylines where both exist.

But moreso, the originals had 2 seasons to connect with audiences. Hasbro expected a single movie to accomplish that feat.

Even Season 2 introduced more Autobots. Sure, to the detriment of screen time for many, but they weren't shown just for a massive Worf Effect, either.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Not to mention the animation quality for most of the episodes took a nosedive before the cancellation. But, I agree with everything you wrote.
    Oh, dear, that animation. The movie looked great as befits a movie budget, and S3 was a mess. They didn't really transform so much as melt into amorphous blobs before molding into their next form.
    Last edited by Cyke; 07-18-2020 at 04:28 PM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I think it was a mistake to kill off Roseanne Connor on Roseanne.

I know many people like The Connors and that's great if you do. I've tried watching it a couple of times and it's just not funny to me without Roseanne.
    I always found her to be the worst part of the show... well, second worst after Becky #1.

Disagree with you about Shane, too. I cheered when he died. The only death in Walking Dead I've disagreed with is Beth's.

SG1 killed off Daniel. I was so glad they brought him back.

IMO, Data's death killed the Star Trek franchise, until maybe Picard. But I still think Roddenberry spins in his grave every time Paramount announces a new Trek. The vision is still very dead.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    100% agree. There was no point they couldn't still have her appear in the show and at the same time release the actress to pursue the roles she wanted.
    Hadn't the relationship between her and the producers turned pretty toxic by the time she left?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Except that they wanted to use Dax as a full time character. And the Trill species left them a wide open door to both let the actress leave and keep Dax, if not Jadzia.

I don't agree with this one at all. As much as I loved Jadzia, I think keeping Dax in the mix with the new host was absolutely the right call. It took them a bit to find the right voice for Ezri, but she created drama amidst the characters, expanded the lore, and gave us Nicole deBoer. I may be biased, because the pre-Picard EU made Ezri into an excellent and well rounded character.
    Not that I didn't like Ezri and even granting the nature of a Trill gave them a perfect excuse but even Ric Berman has since admitted that they made a mistake, that Ezri was never accepted by most of the audience and never really found her ground in the time they had left on the show. And when Ric Berman admits to a mistake, you know it must be a doozy. I think he finally admitted the last episode of Enterprise was a huge mistake.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

Laurel in Arrow, just when they began to write her correct they killed her off. Katie Cassidy had to wait until they bought in Earth 2 Laurel to get another shot to redeem the character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Grace's death in Terminator: Dark Fate. Wonderful character, should have build the franchise around her.
    The franchise was built around her and the new leader girl.

I basically saw her as kind of the new Terminator--she was going to keep coming back in every movie. They ended the threat and showed Young Grace alive--if the movie had been successful, they would have time skipped to the point such that child Grace would also be grown up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post

Reading between the lines of the DS9 documentaries and con interviews, I don't think the writers really liked Terry Farrell in the role. They never really wrote for her and she wasn't the favorite based on the screen time and scenes they gave to others. She was probably the least experience actress regular as well and they wrote around her a lot. Terry leaving (given a "take it or leave it" low ball salary offer) seemed to invigorate the writers' love for the character, even as the behind the scenes drama was confusing to all the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    John Connor, in the Terminator movie who shall not be named.

I'm still kinda salty about that one.
    I have no clue why this franchise keeps shitting on John Connor.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I have no clue why this franchise keeps shitting on John Connor.
    That's truly a mystery. I don't know, must be some producer behind the scene who for some absurd and crazy reasons hate on the character since T2 lol. (no "hasta la vista baby" now for you fcker!!!! Bwahahahaha)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Disagree with you about Shane, too. I cheered when he died. The only death in Walking Dead I've disagreed with is Beth's.
    Everybody is different. I found Shane to be the most interesting character on the show.

Beth's death was pretty obvious (yet, I agree was disappointing) because they pretty much repeated Andrea's death - separated from the group for most of the season then just when they're about to reunite with the group, they die.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Not to mention the animation quality for most of the episodes took a nosedive before the cancellation. But, I agree with everything else you wrote.
    Aside from "Call of the Primitives."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Aside from "Call of the Primitives."
    Correct.

One of my favorites, actually.

Good memory, Frontier.