Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I have no clue why this franchise keeps shitting on John Connor.
    Because he is actually the villain of the story.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I think killing off Jadzia Dax on DS9 was a mistake since the actress was willing to make a few guest appearances in the last season. Instead, they went with a predictable "kill of the character and destroy the marriage" routine.
    Oh yeah. And Trek seemed to have a trend for that, as they did the same thing in Next Gen with Denise Crosby. "Hey, can I have six weeks off to make a Stephen King movie? Maybe my character can go off on a secret assignment or something for a few episodes?" "NO! Ungrateful wench! Tasha dies!"

(And bringing her back as a half-Romulan daughter of her original character was a weird, weird choice.)

Jadzia was easily my favorite character on DS9 (I loved her almost transgressive acting, moving and speaking like she was a man, at times, manspreading over chairs or whatever), and Ezri was darn near my least favorite, so that one really stung.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 07-19-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Oh yeah. And Trek seemed to have a trend for that, as they did the same thing in Next Gen with Denise Crosby. "Hey, can I have six weeks off to make a Stephen King movie? Maybe my character can go off on a secret assignment or something for a few episodes?" "NO! Ungrateful wench! Tasha dies!"

(And bringing her back as a half-Romulan daughter of her original character was a weird, weird choice.)

Jadzia was easily my favorite character on DS9 (I loved her almost transgressive acting, moving and speaking like she was a man, at times, manspreading over chairs or whatever), and Ezri was darn near my least favorite, so that one really stung.
    I never heard that about Denise Crosby. She has said that she chose to leave the show because she got hardly any air time and the first time she did, she thought the episode included really bad racial stereotypes.

While I do find the Trill fascinating and it makes perfect sense to have a new character with the memories of a former character, it was as you said. As you said, Terry Farrell did such a great job of playing her.
    Power with Girl is better.

Randy in Scream 2. I think everyone involved in that decision realized it was a mistake the second they did it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    While I do find the Trill fascinating and it makes perfect sense to have a new character with the memories of a former character, it was as you said. As you said, Terry Farrell did such a great job of playing her.
    It also seems that joined Trill often swap genders between lives, as part of the 'don't try to relive your old life / roles' thing (which, granted, Dax was already kinda skirting by working with Sisko again in this second life as Jadzia, if in a very different role), so it would perhaps have at least been a nod to Trill tradition if the next host had been a dude. (And made the reunion with folks like Bashir and Quark, who crushed on Jadzia, even more fun.)

John was never meant to be a main protagonist so they struggle to think of what they do with him.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Because he is actually the villain of the story.
    What?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It also seems that joined Trill often swap genders between lives, as part of the 'don't try to relive your old life / roles' thing (which, granted, Dax was already kinda skirting by working with Sisko again in this second life as Jadzia, if in a very different role), so it would perhaps have at least been a nod to Trill tradition if the next host had been a dude. (And made the reunion with folks like Bashir and Quark, who crushed on Jadzia, even more fun.)
    Jadzia was the eighth host of Dax not second and while symbionts do go to hosts of different genders there is not a tradition of switching genders from host-to-host which is evident considering the hosts of Dax have been girl(Lela)-boy(Tobin)-girl(Emony)-girl(Audrid)-boy(Torias)-boy(Joran)-boy(Curzon)-girl(Jadzia)-girl(Ezri). The no-reassociation taboo seems to be more about romantic and familial relationships that aren't allowed to be resumed, but friendships are not a problem since based on the way Sisko and Jadzia acted toward each other they are clearly real friends and not work friends, and she also connects with Kor, Kang, Koloth, and she mentioned old friends of Curzon's that she talks to both before and after the reassociation taboo is mentioned. Also in Rejoined it is made clear that if Jadzia and Lenara hadn't acted on the memories from Torias and Nilani no one would have cared, if just interacting with each other was taboo either the experiment would have been done somewhere else or Jadzia would have been ordered to be anywhere but DS9 for the next several days. Out of emergency situations, there doesn't seem to be any criteria that the next host would have to meet beyond going through the proper training.
    Also when the last time you read anything about why Crosby left TNG, because you got everything wrong. She asked to leave because Tasha wasn't given a lot in terms of development, even saying that if there were more scenes like the one Tasha had with Worf at the start of the episode she might not have left. She was also first brought back as an alternate timeline version of Tasha to give her a better send-off.

Because he was fated to be the savior of mankind from the first movie, but they kept making more movies, so what else is there to do to create drama and shock an audience than to subvert that expectation?

Also, I think for Cameron, when he started patting himself on the back so much for creating a female hero, he eventually realized Sarah's biggest accomplishment was giving birthto the guy who would save the world, so he wanted to clear the way for her to actually be the hero. (but I actually haven't even seen the latest film, so I'm just guessing)

Astonishing Member

Killing off William(werewolf brother) in Underworld evolution was a huge mistake, as his story especially if he was not designed as a bipedal berserk animal but a true werewolf original allowed them to explore werewolves as the arch enemy in great depth had they let him escape as a threat for part 3

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Randy in Scream 2. I think everyone involved in that decision realized it was a mistake the second they did it.
    Yeah, that was the biggest issue with those movies - people had to die but then they weren't around for the next sequel. You knew that Campbell, Cox, and Arquette were going to live so it took a lot of air out of the sequels knowing everyone else was probably going to bite it.

I only re-watch the original because it had by far the best story and cast of characters/actors in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Given the show had issues with writing for Laurel they could had gone forward undamaged by her death IMO especially given the introduction of Dinah Drake but making Laurel's last moments giving Olicity her blessing was just the worst and the major issue making what should had been Laurel's goodbye into a victory to one Fan base again JMO.
    The problem with killing off Laurel wasn't that they killed her off, or how they killed her off, or even that last bit with blessing Olicity (which even made ME cringe). The problem was that they showed a grave in the first episode of Season 4, and they had no idea who was in that grave. And they bragged about that fact. Repeatedly. And they didn't decided on who to kill off until it was almost time to film the episode, which is when they dropped the news on Katie.

Killing certain characters in Sliders killed the show little by little.

*goes off to cry a little... still*
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Killing certain characters in Sliders killed the show little by little.

*goes off to cry a little... still*
    Arturo! No!

Sliders is on Comet in a few... but they're post-Wade atm.

I still can't watch the episodes where Dr. Frasier gets killed on Stargate.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

Extraordinary Member

I know not everyone watches soap operas but killing off John Abbott and Brad Carlton on The Young And The Restless were major mistakes IMO.

But I could start a whole thread on wrongful soap opera deaths. (General Hospital's Quartermaine family!!!)